New York becomes 6th state to ban child marriages…..

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'd say most people started and ended up exactly where they should have. Each person has to find their own way and not be beholden to some arbitrary formula dictating where and when you should go through certain rites of passage.
I agree with this. Everyone I know who was super aggressive in their career ambitions ended up with a job that stressed them out, had long hours, hurt their relationships, etc. They were basket case overachievers going into it, and ended up with a job that suited that exact aspect of their personality.

If you don't set your own boundaries, someone else will set them for you.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nice try and big fail. My complaint with health insurance isn't my ability to pay for it. Its that the politicians made it double in cost for an inferior product under the guise of fixing it.
So now you are seeing how events beyond your control, that exist in a certain space and time, can have drastic effects on the affordability of the things that you need the most. Do you get it now?

In other words, how is medical care any different than the cost of housing for when you entered the market versus those who came of buying age in the last 10-15 years :ROFLMAO:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
So now you are seeing how events beyond your control, that exist in a certain space and time, can have drastic effects on the affordability of the things that you need the most. Do you get it now?

In other words, how is medical care any different than the cost of housing for when you entered the market versus those who came of buying age in the last 10-15 years :ROFLMAO:
So you're saying Obamacare fooked CutSnips chances of home ownership. Hey.....I get how that could happen.......my monthly health insurance is a couple hundred dollars more per month than my mortgage, property taxes, home owners and flood insurance combined. I get it now. Thanks. And thanks Obama.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I agree with this. Everyone I know who was super aggressive in their career ambitions ended up with a job that stressed them out, had long hours, hurt their relationships, etc. They were basket case overachievers going into it, and ended up with a job that suited that exact aspect of their personality.

If you don't set your own boundaries, someone else will set them for you.
yeah that’s fair.

I know plenty of teachers who try to set these aspirational goals for students. i also know a few who bemoan the “way the kids are today” and tell students (not all but a few) that they’re never going to amount to anything.

I always say “they all figure sh!t out one way or another“. After 16ish years of teaching I’d have to say the kids are alright for the most part.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So you're saying Obamacare fooked CutSnips chances of home ownership.
No, the metaphor clearly went right over your head. How unusual.

What I said was that your ability to buy the home you are in was largely due to the fact that it was affordable relative to the wages someone with your qualifications was able to earn, at the time you were in a position to buy it. Just like your Dad was. It wasn't cause "kids these days". Since then there have been a host of world events and trends that has made real estate much less affordable relative to earnings, reasons that have already been covered in this thread yet you refuse to respond to them because they don't fit your narrative . . . .. again . . .. how unusual.

Hey.....I get how that could happen.......my monthly health insurance is a couple hundred dollars more per month than my mortgage, property taxes, home owners and flood insurance combined. I get it now. Thanks. And thanks Obama.
So it's "choices" when someone rents instead of buys, but Obama's fault that your workplace health care plan sticks the cost on you. Don't you have the choice of going into a line of work or another employer that provides better coverage? How is that not a choice?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
No, the metaphor clearly went right over your head. How unusual.

What I said was that your ability to buy the home you are in was largely due to the fact that it was affordable relative to the wages someone with your qualifications was able to earn, at the time you were in a position to buy it. Just like your Dad was. It wasn't cause "kids these days". Since then there have been a host of world events and trends that has made real estate much less affordable relative to earnings, reasons that have already been covered in this thread yet you refuse to respond to them because they don't fit your narrative . . . .. again . . .. how unusual.

So it's "choices" when someone rents instead of buys, but Obama's fault that your workplace health care plan sticks the cost on you. Don't you have the choice of going into a line of work or another employer that provides better coverage? How is that not a choice?
So your healthcare is free if its burred in your compensation package rather than transparent the way mine is? :foreheadslap: My income is commission based by choice and If I want to make more I have a lot of control to do so. If I want to surf more I have control there too. Because of my choices in my 20s and my lifestyle choices along the way, I don't have to work as hard as others or worry about finances. Key to that was buying a house as soon as I could. My mortgage expense is based on 1994 housing prices.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You're gaining equity and hedging inflation. Some places like where I live have outpaced inflation significantly as property values have climbed.
Bought my house for the then-astronomical sum of $400K. A number so large my head was spinning.

I paid off my house last winter. For the rest of my life all I have to pay to live will be a few hundred a month for taxes and insurance. I could rent out my place for probably $4400/mo, or sell it for close to $2M.

Gotta play the long game.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Bought my house for the then-astronomical sum of $400K. A number so large my head was spinning.

I paid off my house last winter. For the rest of my life all I have to pay to live will be a few hundred a month for taxes and insurance. I could rent out my place for probably $4400/mo, or sell it for close to $2M.

Gotta play the long game.
Yep. For two years after college my wife and I lived in a shitty $450 per month apartment while we busted our asses, paid off her school debt and saved up for a down payment on a house. Our goal was to buy something either in Ocean City or Brigantine, NJ. Didn't matter the neighborhood or condition of the house we were going to buy not rent. Put a lot of sweat equity into remodelling. At the time it seemed like a huge monthly nut but within five years our incomes had grown while our housing expense hadn't. That's why its key to start young. Getting into a 30 year mortgage in your 40s seems pretty daunting.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yep. For two years after college my wife and I lived in a shitty $450 per month apartment while we busted our asses, paid off her school debt and saved up for a down payment on a house. Our goal was to buy something either in Ocean City or Brigantine, NJ. Didn't matter the neighborhood or condition of the house we were going to buy not rent. Put a lot of sweat equity into remodelling. At the time it seemed like a huge monthly nut but within five years our incomes had grown while our housing expense hadn't. That's why its key to start young. Getting into a 30 year mortgage in your 40s seems pretty daunting.
which part of PA did you move from?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
It's fucking weird to be like 20 and know that you want to spend the rest of your life in south jersey but good for you I guess.

A primary residence is not an investment. Lot's of people have to move somewhat often, for a bunch of different reasons. Renting offers that flexibility. Sure, some people sell their homes for a sh!t ton more than they bought them for 20+ years ago but who knows...maybe that 20% down payment invested in some fund - rent costs over the years would have netted them more wealth.

Reactions: hal9000

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
It's fucking weird to be like 20 and know that you want to spend the rest of your life in south jersey but good for you I guess.

A primary residence is not an investment. Lot's of people have to move somewhat often, for a bunch of different reasons. Renting offers that flexibility. Sure, some people sell their homes for a sh!t ton more than they bought them for 20+ years ago but who knows...maybe that 20% down payment invested in some fund - rent costs over the years would have netted them more wealth.
A goal of owning a house as close to the beach where you made the best memories of your youth and learned to surf is "fucking weird"? Then pulling it off by the age of 25......is that weird too? OK. I guess I'm weird then.

Reactions: CutnSnip

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
A goal of owning a house as close to the beach where you made the best memories of your youth and learned to surf is "fucking weird"? Then pulling it off by the age of 25......is that weird too? OK. I guess I'm weird then.
I don't envy you for a second

Reactions: hal9000