New York becomes 6th state to ban child marriages…..

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's fucking weird to be like 20 and know that you want to spend the rest of your life in south jersey but good for you I guess.

A primary residence is not an investment. Lot's of people have to move somewhat often, for a bunch of different reasons. Renting offers that flexibility. Sure, some people sell their homes for a sh!t ton more than they bought them for 20+ years ago but who knows...maybe that 20% down payment invested in some fund - rent costs over the years would have netted them more wealth.
It is an investment, but that doesn’t mean you should treat it like one.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
A goal of owning a house as close to the beach where you made the best memories of your youth and learned to surf is "fucking weird"? Then pulling it off by the age of 25......is that weird too? OK. I guess I'm weird then.
Yup...but it works for you so like I said 'good for you'

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I’m not familiar with New Jersey. Would that be a step down from where you live? Why?
Not really, a matter of taste. The only reason I bring it up is because he constantly humble brags about it. Like I have said on a world scale for surf/ocean activities Nj sucks. At least when you humble brag you have actually made a life for yourself on a great stretch of coast in a foreign Country which is not easy.

Reactions: hal9000
Jul 12, 2021
You weren’t curious with your other username(s)?

No t!ts? :shameonyou:
No. His argument was centered on how hard work helped him buy a house. Income and type of job at the time would determine how much hard work was required to achieve that and would also dictate how this information correlates with today's economy.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No. His argument was centered on how hard work helped him buy a house. Income and type of job at the time would determine how much hard work was required to achieve that and would also dictate how this information correlates with today's economy.
I read it. I agree that it doesn’t correlate. That’s why my wife and I bought property here, our kids/grandkids would never be able to afford it. Everyone’s situation is different.

You haven’t shared where you live and why.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Not really, a matter of taste. The only reason I bring it up is because he constantly humble brags about it. Like I have said on a world scale for surf/ocean activities Nj sucks. At least when you humble brag you have actually made a life for yourself on a great stretch of coast in a foreign Country which is not easy.
I don't recall ever humble bragging about OCNJ in fact I never brought up specifically where I live. It was trolls here like hal who posted specifically where I live. By the way, since we are on the topic, what beach town is it in NJ where you call home? Seaside Heights?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I don't recall ever humble bragging about OCNJ in fact I never brought up specifically where I live. It was trolls here like hal who posted specifically where I live. By the way, since we are on the topic, what beach town is it in NJ where you call home? Seaside Heights?
BS, you do all the time. I will answer this if you tell me which college you went to?

Reactions: hal9000

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
again - the point that GD is missing is he, my parents, boomers, etc were able to get in with nothing while making nothing.

GD if you were born a decade or two later and had to buy today with your current salary - where would that land you?
If I were 41 with the income I have right now Google tells my I could qualify to buy a $950,000 house. I am risk averse so my budget would probably be $650,000. Pre-covid that certainly would have gotten me into a fixer-upper single family in the same beach town where I am now. Right now thanks to Covid and people trying to move here from the big cities prices are a little nuts so I'd have to tighten my belt and pay more, buy half a duplex instead of a single family or go 5 minutes across the bridge where prices are lower. Here is the lowest priced single family on my island at the moment:

Reactions: CutnSnip

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

and then 15 minutes later........

If I were 41 with the income I have right now Google tells my I could qualify to buy a $950,000 house. I am risk averse so my budget would probably be $650,000. Pre-covid that certainly would have gotten me into a fixer-upper single family in the same beach town where I am now. Right now thanks to Covid and people trying to move here from the big cities prices are a little nuts so I'd have to tighten my belt and pay more, buy half a duplex instead of a single family or go 5 minutes across the bridge where prices are lower. Here is the lowest priced single family on my island at the moment:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Are you a six year old? The adults are trying to have a conversation. Go stand in the corner ya dunce. Adults can go online and plug in their income and be told the size of mortgage they likely can qualify for provided they have good credit.

just pointing out that you (not so) humble bragged 15 minutes after saying you don't recall humble bragging.

also, don't feel like such a big man, credit is still cheap and easy to come by, that's why we'll probably see another housing bubble like the mid 2000s.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
just pointing out that you (not so) humble bragged 15 minutes after saying you don't recall humble bragging.

also, don't feel like such a big man, credit is still cheap and easy to come by, that's why we'll probably see another housing bubble like the mid 2000s.
You're being an ass as usual. Dial it back Skippy. My point was not to boast in fact based on CutSnips previous post its safe to say his income is likely considerably higher than mine.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
and another humble brag......
You're being an ass as usual. Dial it back Skippy. My point was not to boast in fact based on CutSnips previous post its safe to say his income is likely considerably higher than mine.
Fat Craig hates being called out on his hypocrisy.