New York becomes 6th state to ban child marriages…..

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
If I were 41 with the income I have right now Google tells my I could qualify to buy a $950,000 house. I am risk averse so my budget would probably be $650,000. Pre-covid that certainly would have gotten me into a fixer-upper single family in the same beach town where I am now. Right now thanks to Covid and people trying to move here from the big cities prices are a little nuts so I'd have to tighten my belt and pay more, buy half a duplex instead of a single family or go 5 minutes across the bridge where prices are lower. Here is the lowest priced single family on my island at the moment:

yea we would be in a similar boat..except here $650,000 gets you a 1 bedroom apartment that will never gain you any equity, will be hard to sell down the road and would be cheaper in the long run to rent.

Im basically adjusting my expectations and will ultimately move to Long Beach. A hefty commute to work, but close to the water and you can find a nice single family starter home for $7-800,000 that will gain equity.

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
No. His argument was centered on how hard work helped him buy a house. Income and type of job at the time would determine how much hard work was required to achieve that and would also dictate how this information correlates with today's economy.
A lot of that depends on what is the value of work being done, and how replaceable are you.

It's still entirely possible to get into the housing market in your 20s without family money. Not easy, but doable. Certainly a lot easier if you are 28 with a BSEE and are an engineer at Intel making $140K than if you are a 28 yo teacher with a BA in Sociology making $65K.

Reactions: Shrouded and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
A lot of that depends on what is the value of work being done, and how replaceable are you.

It's still entirely possible to get into the housing market in your 20s without family money. Not easy, but doable. Certainly a lot easier if you are 28 with a BSEE and are an engineer at Intel making $140K than if you are a 28 yo teacher with a BA in Sociology making $65K.
Plus no debt college or otherwise is a big factor.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Agreed. You can still get an FHA loan with 3.5-5% down. Still requires a nest egg for that, so easy on the student debt, IPAs and avocado toast

Reactions: Ifallalot
Jul 12, 2021

Good point.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
'Fat Craig' is a pretty weak nickname, @hal9000 - can you come up with something a bit more catchy
Back when I was 6'1 and 218 a few years ago after a year of struggling with a bad shoulder problem he might have had a point. My bad for posting in the weight loss challenge thread in 2018 or 2019 where I lost 14 pounds. A weaksauce troll like hal thinks he's winning the internet by referencing my weight back then. Hal's not very bright.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Sorry I can‘t come up with clever nicknames like “zero integrity Hal”

Especially since of all the accurate things said about him, I do not think he is actually fat. Maybe I am old fashioned but I feel that insulting nicknames should have some basis in fact.
yeah but he did buckle his board from his fatness and he does plan his CA trips around Carl’s jr locations.

Reactions: mundus

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
again - the point that GD is missing is he, my parents, boomers, etc were able to get in with nothing while making nothing.
When I look at my movement through time, I sometimes feel like I am just a tiny bit ahead of a series of monstrous inflection points that is totally difficult to get past.

Then remember a few older friends who say they would hate to have to deal with a great many things I deal with day to day that I don't even give a 2nd thought about.

Maybe it is a generational wash? Maybe others feel the same way? Actually two grade school friends that I've stayed in contact with say they have felt the same as me.

Don't know for certain....but yes, I would have liked to have paid the same for my house that Maria paid in the 1950s (dead neighbor who was a supervisor level seamstress for Levi's when they still made jeans in SF). I do wonder what she and her hubbie put down/paid monthly and resulting amount of disposable income as compared to mine.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Don't go to a college you can't afford and don't choose a field of study with no chance of monetary reward. This sh!t isn't rocket science. Decisions decisions decisions.
It's prefectly fine to major in Art History or Womyns' Studies or whatever non-monetizable degree you want.
Just know you will be sacrificing a giant chunk of financial security and stability to follow those passions and don't you dare whine about it later.

Reactions: GromsDad