New York becomes 6th state to ban child marriages…..

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
17 year old can't get married, why not!?
...b/c divorce is too expensive - marriages are ruled by divorce attorneys, that's the hostage situation.

Reactions: hal9000

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My parents were 17 and 18 when they got married. Seems to have worked out pretty good for them. Three kids and owned their own house by the age of 25. Empty nesters in their 40s. Retired very well at 55 with homes in 3 states.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My parents were 17 and 18 when they got married. Seems to have worked out pretty good for them. Three kids and owned their own house by the age of 25. Empty nesters in their 40s. Retired very well at 55 with homes in 3 states.
this, sir, is practically unpossible to achieve today

they are lucky. you are lucky.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
this, sir, is practically unpossible to achieve today

they are lucky. you are lucky.
The only difference today is the work ethic of today's young adults. My parents busted their asses in their 20s and 30s to make a good life for us. Even in retirement I don't know many people who work as hard as my father does. At 78 he just sold his home in the mountains where he would go and work harder than most men 1/3rd his age. He has regrets I'm sure about selling it but the 8 hour each way drive was getting to be a problem.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The only difference today is the work ethic of today's young adults. My parents busted their asses in their 20s and 30s to make a good life for us. Even in retirement I don't know many people who work as hard as my father does. At 78 he just sold his home in the mountains where he would go and work harder than most men 1/3rd his age. He has regrets I'm sure about selling it but the 8 hour each way drive was getting to be a problem.
there are many more differences than just “they worked hard”. You‘re being a bullshit liar again.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
there are many more differences than just “they worked hard”. You‘re being a bullshit liar again.
Oh God. Is this where you go on your fantasy rap about how the big bad boomers, who were born into paradise on earth, ruined your life and left you with no options but failure?

:rolleyes:

Call up your father, resolve your Daddy issues and write an app or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: GromsDad

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No, not really. Look at the median salary at the time your parents were alive relative to the median home cost. Or the value of your own home, that you openly admit was a bargain relative to what it would cost now. It's an order of magnitude difference, especially closer to the coasts.

Of course you won't though, because you regularly ignore hard numbers and cite anecdotes to fit your narrative. How . . . Unusual.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
false

adjusted home prices are 4x higher

wages are stagnant relative to the increase in home prices (and education and medical)

the total number of "middle class" jobs is dwindling

inventory of homes has not kept up with the population; compound this with the american
housing market being commoditized as an investment vehicle for the rest of the planet

it's a different world

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
No, not really. Look at the median salary at the time your parents were alive relative to the median home cost. Or the value of your own home, that you openly admit was a bargain relative to what it would cost now. It's an order of magnitude difference, especially closer to the coasts.

Of course you won't though, because you regularly ignore hard numbers and cite anecdotes to fit your narrative. How . . . Unusual.
My father worked his way up from a construction laborer to a carpenter to the project manager overseeing the construction of hospitals and nursing homes. Spent his entire career with one company except his final three years because he wanted to work closer to home. The only thing different today with regards to his career is that today I doubt you could reach the position where he was in the final 3rd of his career without at least an engineering degree.

As for salaries and costs, my parents never made great money until I was in high school. I know my parents bought their first house in 1968 for $11,500. No idea what their income was at that stage in life but it wasn't much.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
My father worked his way up from a construction laborer to a carpenter to the project manager overseeing the construction of hospitals and nursing homes. Spent his entire career with one company except his final three years because he wanted to work closer to home. The only thing different today with regards to his career is that today I doubt you could reach the position where he was in the final 3rd of his career without at least an engineering degree.
Another anecdote, which actually serves my point. There was more room for upward mobility of people without a college degree at that time in history.

The Post WW2 era through the 70s was a unique time in history economically because of a multitude of factors, such as:

-Booming post war economy for manufacturing, home building, infrastructure, etc that made for ample employment and mobility for those with minimal education
-Strong unions that insured higher wages for blue collar workers
-The rest of industrialized world being destroyed, therefore minimal competition
-Remedial international telecommunications or internet, which hindered outsourcing

Those conditions will likely never repeat themselves again, so to compare now to then is willful ignorance on many levels.

Also, there are stories of people with similar hustle from every generation.

As for salaries and costs, my parents never made great money until I was in high school. I know my parents bought their first house in 1968 for $11,500. No idea what their income was at that stage in life but it wasn't much.
Again, hard demographic data based on extensive datasets >>>>> anecdotes.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Another anecdote, which actually serves my point. There was more room for upward mobility of people without a college degree at that time in history.

The Post WW2 era through the 70s was a unique time in history economically because of a multitude of factors, such as:

-Booming post war economy for manufacturing, home building, infrastructure, etc that made for ample employment and mobility for those with minimal education
-Strong unions that insured higher wages for blue collar workers
-The rest of industrialized world being destroyed, therefore minimal competition
-Remedial international telecommunications or internet, which hindered outsourcing

Those conditions will likely never repeat themselves again, so to compare now to then is willful ignorance on many levels.

Also, there are stories of people with similar hustle from every generation.

Again, hard demographic data based on extensive datasets >>>>> anecdotes.
Basically you'll write off anyone's opinion that doesn't comport with your own.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Basically you'll write off anyone's opinion that doesn't comport with your own.
:ROFLMAO:
I didn't write it off, I explained using hard data and historical events why you are wrong :poke: :trout:
The only thing you have to back up your "kids these days . . ." trope or "opinion" is a single data point, also known as an anecdote. For all we know, maybe your Dad got to where he was with a similar income-to-home price ratio as what is typical today. If so, good for him, but that doesn't change the fact that the median salary relative to the cost of homes, education, medical etc was much higher in his times than they are now.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
And and and property taxes on those expensive houses.

I can't get over that.

. . .ok, I'm over it.

Last edited: