The Official Wine Thread!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I used to live under €6 club and perfectly Happy, until my damned college roomie got stuck here for a hundred days during the 1st lockdown... Between "you only live once" and "are you crazy? We pay over $70-80 for a wine like this, and here it's only €18?". Guy got me hooked on the semi-good stuff.

:roflmao: he liked it so much, he returned to the bay area to sell everything he owns and move back here to become the new town drunk! :dancing::crazy2::beer::cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
:roflmao: he liked it so much, he returned to the bay area to sell everything he owns and move back here to become the new town drunk! :dancing::crazy2::beer::cheers:
So your college buddy is the town drunk you pointed the goat skulls at and his bar exploded in flames?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Nah! My college buddy could never get it together enough to buy anything, cept a round for all present at the bar.

My beef is with the UK folk who think this is one more island off THEIR archipelago, and wonder why all the tv shows are in Spanish, when they have come to live in Spain.

:dancing::crazy2::socrazy::shameonyou::poke::foreheadslap::loser:

• Haha

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Clos David.jpeg

Holy sh|t! Bought a case of this 2013 back in 2016. Chateau de Breze 2013 Saumur Blanc "Clos David". 100% certified organic chenin blanc from a small plot (Clos David) on a single hill (Breze). About 5 hours of skin contact. 50% sees some neutral oak. Apples and flowers (chamomile) but this time it's got this beautiful pronounced note of under-ripe dried apricots. Still have one bottle left which I'll probably save for another couple of years.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
How's this gift from a neighbor. Up there with some of the older wines I've had and a 1st growth to boot.
I should have sold it, but he also gave me a 1989 Margaux. I should be able to off that for an easy $500 or a few hundred more with a little more work.

mr79.jpg

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I received a 6 pack of Crown Pointe 2014 Estate Red as a gift. It's from the Happy Camp part of Santa Barbara. Was told today they would be fantastic....but waiting about 5 years would be out of this world. I've had them for about 6 months or so and decided to bring a bottle to dinner with some friends. Unbelievable. I've had OK wines from Santa Barbara but nothing like this. Very alive, clean and peppery, which is my preference.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I received a 6 pack of Crown Pointe 2014 Estate Red as a gift.
Do you think the people at Crown Pointe can spell Crown Pointe ?

2014 Crown Pointe is a score and as fine to open now as it will be in 5 years. It's overpriced, but a score if someone gave it to you. Westerly wines are made by the same guy for about $25-30. Same fruit but didn't make the cut to be in a CP bottle. Happy Canyon is the prime spot to plant cab in SB County IMO.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I wouldn't spend what they are asking on a bottle of wine.
Do you think the people at Crown Pointe can spell Crown Pointe ?

2014 Crown Pointe is a score and as fine to open now as it will be in 5 years. It's overpriced, but a score if someone gave it to you. Westerly wines are made by the same guy for about $25-30. Same fruit but didn't make the cut to be in a CP bottle. Happy Canyon is the prime spot to plant cab in SB County IMO.
I just found some Westerly. I'm going to grab a bottle and report back. It's a 100+ dollar difference.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I wouldn't spend what they are asking on a bottle of wine.

I just found some Westerly. I'm going to grab a bottle and report back. It's a 100+ dollar difference.
The westerly has (lowest to highest $) Cote Blonde, Red, Cabernet, Fletchers Red . The red is pretty damn good. You should be able to find the same year (2014) and it'll be made by the same winemaker (Adam Henkel). He moved on around 2016 or so and another guy is there now.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I grabbed their 2016 Cabernet and 2015 Pinot. I'll open the Cab tonight. The one thing I dislike abut most wines is how they have that flat finish and linger a bit too long. I like wines that are sharp and finish strong. The Crown Pointe was just that but for 150 a bottle.....i'm more likely to spend that on a bottle of bourbon.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
What are the chances if we pour that one above in a glass and the other in a glass and 2 more random California cabs in other glasses and you picking out which is which? :D

Reactions: sponge