The Official Wine Thread!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Spear winery across the street from Dierberg is a pretty damn nice place with gravity fed stuff to the barrel room down below. The owner is the guy "(Ofer") from Life Alert ("I've fallen and I can't get up").
I picked up a some syrah down the road at Melville a few days ago. Good stuff.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What are the chances if we pour that one above in a glass and the other in a glass and 2 more random California cabs in other glasses and you picking out which is which? :D
We did that yesterday.

I tried two glasses of the westerly and gave up.

Then I poured a glass of Coppalla's director's Cut, which is cheaper than the Westerly. Then I mixed the two glasses up on accident I was able to tell.

What I notice about the Clos du Val is the viscosity of the wine.

Is that the right word?

I'm down for a competition.

Could we do one with cheap cocaine and expensive?

Reactions: dunnder

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What didn't you like? i haven't tried it yet.

Driving south today for a work commitment and hitting Star Lane/Dierberg on the way :beer:
The taste?

My sisters are winos and they like stuff that I don't like. I think you get used to stuff and develop preferences.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Troll :roflmao:
Your "I have very specific tastes" comment was right out of GBGs mouth.
Clos du Val is probably more "old school" Napa style than Coppalla and Westerly (not a bad thing).

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What I mean is I can drink "good" wine and not like it.

I actually wasn't trying to troll.

Someone recommended it and I went and tried it and didn't like it.

And that is okay.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
What I mean is I can drink "good" wine and not like it.

I actually wasn't trying to troll.

Someone recommended it and I went and tried it and didn't like it.

And that is okay.
That's easy. Anyone can.

I had a very old bottle opened exclusively for me in a 5 star hotel in Barcelona in the 90's. Didn't want to seem like a snob, said nothing at first. Second sip was even worse.

It was vinegar.

In the end, the young lady (model who shall remain unnamed) dining with me had to 'entice' the waiter into trying it too. One sip, he spit it onto the floor..

Got a few bottles of younger, much more delicious stuff in exchange.

That nights wine bill alone was over a grand. Best part? It came with a big red X across it, and under said only: "invita la casa".

On the house.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Westerly is super heavily extracted. If you like clos du val vs westerly, it sounds like you like old school napa style like Grgich, Frogs Leap, Heitz, Forman, that are more mineraly than fruity oaky and don't taste like candy bars (a good thing). Your switching around of the glasses post still is suspect to me tho :nana:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Westerly is super heavily extracted. If you like clos du val vs westerly, it sounds like you like old school napa style like Grgich, Frogs Leap, Heitz, Forman, that are more mineraly than fruity oaky and don't taste like candy bars (a good thing). Your switching around of the glasses post still is suspect to me tho :nana:
Ok good to know. I don’t like the super extracted stuff. Star Lane was straight up Goldilocks :beer:

Dec 18, 2014
I'm digging Gruner Veltliner. I think it's a versatile food wine goes with everything from BBQ pork shoulder to sashimi to vinegary/citrusy salad dressing. And it does all those things really well.

Question: how long can Gruner Veltliner cellar? Is a 2015 over the hill? Thanks.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks, Star Lane looks like about a 15-20 minute drive. Will buy and bang a few bottles but they look spendy.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I'm digging Gruner Veltliner. I think it's a versatile food wine goes with everything from BBQ pork shoulder to sashimi to vinegary/citrusy salad dressing. And it does all those things really well.

Question: how long can Gruner Veltliner cellar? Is a 2015 over the hill? Thanks.
Gruner is one of the most versatile white wines. Period. Styles vary from Austria to Italy (Alto Adige) to California. Last California gruner I tried was Alfaro and it was fuckign awful. Maybe they've gotten better since then. This was back in 2015 or so, so it was probably 2013-2014.

Age-worthiness depends heavily on ripeness and acidity. Gruner Smaragd from Austria (Wachau) or Italy (Alto Adige), if picked at the right time, should last 10+ years, even if they were not made with that intention.

Short answer: depends on who makes it. If the grapes were at phenolic ripeness at picking, and acidity is high enough (and pH low enough), and stored correctly, yes, a gruner at 5+ years should be wonderful. A little bit of skin contact helps, even just a couple hours.

What is the 2015 about which you speak?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Gruner is one of my favs. You can buy Austrian 1 Ls online for cheap. IMO the weather conditions and prevailing winemaking style in CA lends itself to more riper/fruitier gruners, which takes away from the mineral quality that makes it what it is.

Reactions: Havoc
Dec 18, 2014
Gruner is one of the most versatile white wines. Period. Styles vary from Austria to Italy (Alto Adige) to California. Last California gruner I tried was Alfaro and it was fuckign awful. Maybe they've gotten better since then. This was back in 2015 or so, so it was probably 2013-2014.

Age-worthiness depends heavily on ripeness and acidity. Gruner Smaragd from Austria (Wachau) or Italy (Alto Adige), if picked at the right time, should last 10+ years, even if they were not made with that intention.

Short answer: depends on who makes it. If the grapes were at phenolic ripeness at picking, and acidity is high enough (and pH low enough), and stored correctly, yes, a gruner at 5+ years should be wonderful. A little bit of skin contact helps, even just a couple hours.

What is the 2015 about which you speak?
It was almost cloying. Maybe/hopefully it was just the particular bottle, because I have two more bottles.

Attachments