The Official Wine Thread!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Long overdue.

Are you a wine snob?

Rookie?

What's your special occasion wine? Your favorite?

Somewhere in the middle wine?

What's your go to lower end deal?

Best wine in Paso. LXV. Been to most of the Paso wineries. My favorite. Sangiovese, Cabernet and Crinson Jewel, a Sangiovese Petite Sirah blend. All their wines are excellent.

20200110_151606.jpg

Hit Rails Nap in Paso this last trip. Their reds were really good. Not as much as the LXV but not cheap. Also went to Oregon this past year twice. Southern Williamette. Stopped at Brigadoon. Dry Riesling very good. $20. Pinot there also good. Good price.

20200104_181432.jpg

Santa Cruz wines surprised me. Was up there in December and went up in Mountains. Wrights Station. Pinot was phenomenal and so was the Chardonnay. Not buttery oaky Old Lady Chardonnay.
20200105_172320.jpg

Reactions: HBNative

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
For the SD County folks. If you have not been to Gianni Buonomo winery in OB, you are missing out. Our second favorite wine. A close second to the LXV. The reds are winning awards at big time wine competions. SF Chronicle. Finger Lakes. Double Gold for Sangiovese and Charbono. The Blaufrankish is amazing. So is the Barbera.

Reactions: Oldsalt62

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Went to the Harmony winery near Cambria last week. Pretty decent overall but their Petite Sirah and Treble (Port) were really good.

For camping trips, the box wine is the way to go. Easy to transport and unlikely to shatter. Black Box Cab was actually surprisingly drinkable (a long ways from that Franzia arsenic gutter swill; I'd rather drink Mad Dog).

But usually, yeah, just the moderately cheap stuff from Costco/Trader Joes for when I'm working on the honey-do list around the house.

I want to say that I've had that Brigadoon Pinot before - not bad at all.

I need to go by Total Wine & More again soon. Love me a good Malbec.

Reactions: gbg

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
one of the best wines I had was early vintage from Pahrump Valley Winery in Vegas.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Went to the Harmony winery near Cambria last week. Pretty decent overall but their Petite Sirah and Treble (Port) were really good.

For camping trips, the box wine is the way to go. Easy to transport and unlikely to shatter. Black Box Cab was actually surprisingly drinkable (a long ways from that Franzia arsenic gutter swill; I'd rather drink Mad Dog).

But usually, yeah, just the moderately cheap stuff from Costco/Trader Joes for when I'm working on the honey-do list around the house.

I want to say that I've had that Brigadoon Pinot before - not bad at all.

I need to go by Total Wine & More again soon. Love me a good Malbec.
If you are close to total wine you are stoked. I hit the one in VA Beach.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
3RD corner in OB also excellwnt place to buy wine. Give them your email and get 10% off all future wines. Lots of $10-5 deals there.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Paso - I've got lots of Alban in my stash. If you're familiar with the pricey Saxum, try to get your hands on Cregor Heights for about 1/8th the price. Pretty much same fruit and same winemaker.
You like Petite Sirah? Get some Mending Wall from Napa. It'll set you back about $40/bottle and will stain your teeth, mouth and glass.

Reactions: RemyXO

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If you are close to total wine you are stoked. I hit the one in VA Beach.
I have two of them to choose from on my work commute.

It's better than being a kid in a candy store. It is also almost physically impossible to get out of there spending less than $100 and that's just the beer section.

Avoid Bevmo. They've pissed me off by consistently labeling prices one way at least a dollar or two more per item at the register. Before I said a final f*ck it, I used to take photos of the price as backup.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have two of them to choose from on my work commute.

It's better than being a kid in a candy store. It is also almost physically impossible to get out of there spending less than $100 and that's just the beer section.

Avoid Bevmo. They've pissed me off by consistently labeling prices one way at least a dollar or two more per item at the register. Before I said a final f*ck it, I used to take photos of the price as backup.
When I would buy cases (24 bottles) of Lagunitas Dog Town, they would scan the bar code on the box and charge me for a 6 pack. Worked at least 4-5 times :ROFLMAO:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That would probably be Saxum, although Linne Calodo, Booker, Tablas Creek are all there, if not a step behind.
Agreed. Also, Epoch (the former York Mountain) is super good. Never had a Saxum, but a buddy of mine is on their list so I will mooch of that when he gets his shipment. Bookers are oak monsters, so I'm not a fan, but a lot of people are. Tablas Creek has some of the best white wines in California. Halter Ranch and Niner are good value brands by Paso standards.

Reactions: RemyXO and Havoc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Russian River Vineyards (used to work here). I’m by no means a wine snob, but I have very much enjoyed pretty much every bottle they have.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Pinot up there phenomenal.
The best wine I’ve drunk was from unmarked bottles in Italy, direct from the vineyards. Locals buy “ damigiane,” giant bottles from which they fill their unmarked bottles. CA wines can’t compare imho.
027__21020_zoom.JPG
ps I don't know diddly squat, but I know what I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf and gbg