The Official Wine Thread!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
You can buy Austrian 1 Ls online for cheap.
It was almost cloying. Maybe/hopefully it was just the particular bottle, because I have two more bottles.
Yeah that wine should easily last 10 years in proper conditions, meaning under 70F, some humidity, and out of direct sunlight. Under 60F is better though.

Residual sugar (RS) levels can change depending on vintage, maybe 2015 was a super high acid vintage so they stopped fermentation early to keep a little sugar in it. Dunno for sure. Digging around online saw a tech sheet on 2016 and RS was 1.5g/l,, acidity 6.0, but 2018 was 5.4g/l, Acidity was 7.1. That's really fucking high acid so they balance with a little RS. Maybe that happened in 2015, warm vintage with high acidity.

I suggest drinking it with food if you found it a little too sweet. Pair with something spicy: Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Indian, &c. Should work great in that context.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've tried, I just don't like most Chilean red wines, even the really high end sh!t. I have enjoyed some white from Chile though.
The farming is terrible. They grow wine grapes like they are table grapes. Too much water, no canopy work, sulfur too late in the growing season, etc. If they got it together they could rival anywhere in the world.

Dec 18, 2014
Yeah that wine should easily last 10 years in proper conditions, meaning under 70F, some humidity, and out of direct sunlight. Under 60F is better though.

Residual sugar (RS) levels can change depending on vintage, maybe 2015 was a super high acid vintage so they stopped fermentation early to keep a little sugar in it. Dunno for sure. Digging around online saw a tech sheet on 2016 and RS was 1.5g/l,, acidity 6.0, but 2018 was 5.4g/l, Acidity was 7.1. That's really fucking high acid so they balance with a little RS. Maybe that happened in 2015, warm vintage with high acidity.

I suggest drinking it with food if you found it a little too sweet. Pair with something spicy: Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Indian, &c. Should work great in that context.
Cork was all dried out, too. Maybe it was a storage issue.

Interesting.

Always wine + food for me. Thanks!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Is that it? Even high end outfits like Cousino Macul, Lapostolle? One of both of those are biodynamic. Their most expensive bottlings are OK, but still not worth the money, IMO.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is that it? Even high end outfits like Cousino Macul, Lapostolle? One of both of those are biodynamic. Their most expensive bottlings are OK, but still not worth the money, IMO.
Tough to say for certain without more information about exactly what those producers do but that's definitely how a lot of the acreage is farmed. You can be organic and still spray copper and sulfur all year, whereas no wineries in CA will buy your fruit if you do that. Bury a cow horn full of crap and do your voodoo crystal preps and now you're biodynamic. Irrigation and leaf canopy, which are interrelated, are really the main drivers of quality in terms of management practices.

Plus with imports from Chile you are probably paying a hefty premium.

Reactions: enframed
Dec 18, 2014
Could be, yeah, or just shitty cork, or just one shitty cork. was it oxidized at all? Did it have notes of nuts and dried fruits? Baked/brown apples? Was the color turning from straw to orange/brown at all?
Not nuts, but maybe slightly raisiny and baked apples. Color was much darker than straw. Call it golden not quite orange/brown. The sweet smell was apparent b4 even pouring it into a glass. Barely detectable mineralness, which was most disappointing. The other bottle in our at home tasting, J&P Brundl Mayer Kremstal at half the price was far better. Super minerally - almost frizzante.

Corks seem like obsolete technology.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
OK so yeah clearly large amounts of oxygen were getting in there for one reason or another.

Yeah, cork has serious issues, 2-5% of all wines are "corked" (TCA) by the time they leave the winery. The problem with natural cork is there are so many people making wine that demand for cork has outgrown supply. The cork trees are being cut too early and the bark is not mature enough to make good closures.

I'm a fan of screw caps and glass corks. DIAM corks are great in that they prevent TCA (cork taint) but they can still fail other ways.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
What is it with the cow horn and hanging teabag bullcrap? I see that a lot and it's like astrology but for farming, also picking during certain moon phases or planet positions.:loser:

I picked up some wine yesterday and he gave me one he just bottled. Carbonic maceration which I know very little about but suppose I get it after reading a little. I had a glass at home and it was straight kool aid. It was so refreshing to the point of being dangerous. You could easily smash through a bottle inside of an hour and go from 0 to blotto really quickly. https://www.tercerowines.com/store/storedetail?item=2020-nouveau-cinsault

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
"Carbonic maceration" is the current hawtness wine trend.

That cinsault sounds pretty good, I love cinsault and it being a lighter grape I bet it lends itself to carbonic maceration nicely.