The Official Wine Thread!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Picked this [Palmina barbera] up. Good, zero tannins and fruity as sort of expected. I like the more mineral driven IT wines but this is pretty good, maybe would bang again for $20/bottle. Wanted to grab their nebbiolo but it was $60. fvvk that sh1t.
Palmina is great, but yeah for $60 you may as well buy Barolo/Barbaresco.

Things like that. Trying various 2016 Barolos like the Cavallotto. Things from Piedmont. Verdunos etc. Lots of stuff stuff from there right now that isn’t too too pricey.
Buying stuff like that^. Cavallotto 2016 is hard to find. Buy it if you see it, Verduno too. It's being said that 2016 is the best Barolo vintage in decades.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
The Palmina Autunno white is often $14 at a local wine shop. I drink it and cook with it.
Careful with those >$100 bottles if you're building a collection, and put away your credit card. Looks like kool-aid has some kind of storage fridge. Taste that stuff whenever possible. 5-10 years from now your likes might change or what you buy might not match what you like and you'll have a fridge with $10k+ of stuff you don't want. I know people who have spent a fortune on "cult" wines and finally open one years later, go "WTF?", then their next step is figuring out how to offload it without losing their shorts.

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
^All true. If you invest in wine, you should be buying 6-12 bottles, and tasting periodically.

Tonight, sadly yet joyously, my wife and I enjoyed our last bottle we brought back from Morocco two years ago at this time. I made cassoulet to go with it. We drank this with some kind of four-legged tagine there.

Chateau Roslane Les Coteaux de L'Atlas AOC 2015

Cab/merlot/syrah blend, 14% abv Estate grown and bottled, the only premier cru in Morocco to date. I think it was about $25 at the Carrefour. Very little syrah by the color. A little too much oak for my taste but worked with cassoulet. Tasted better in Marrakech, everything did. I need to go back there soon.

chateau_raslane.jpeg
cassoulet_raslane.jpeg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
^All true. If you invest in wine, you should be buying 6-12 bottles, and tasting periodically.

Tonight, sadly yet joyously, my wife and I enjoyed our last bottle we brought back from Morocco two years ago at this time. I made cassoulet to go with it. We drank this with some kind of four-legged tagine there.

Chateau Roslane Les Coteaux de L'Atlas AOC 2015

Cab/merlot/syrah blend, 14% abv Estate grown and bottled, the only premier cru in Morocco to date. I think it was about $25 at the Carrefour. Very little syrah by the color. A little too much oak for my taste but worked with cassoulet. Tasted better in Marrakech, everything did. I need to go back there soon.

View attachment 104505
View attachment 104506
I've got that same dutch oven! :ROFLMAO:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Never understood collecting wines,

Until I visited an abbey on the way from Barcelona to Andorra; on tge way there, stayed at a 5 * place which was completely empty. The staff were partying down and invited us into the cellar. My buddy, drunk off his arse tried to touch one of the dustiest bottles on a rack you could tell hadn't been touched by human hand in ages.. the maitre punched him right across the jaw. Profusely apologized immediately afterwards, before launching into an extensive explanation about the bottles on that rack being of historic value, as they were the only wall of the cellar that hadn't been blown to bits in what was the Maison, in whose ruins they'd built the hotel.

They opened several prize winners from another rack, and the maitre explained that wall, and the bottles on it, were worth more than the entire building, grounds, restaurant, etc...

Got plastered on excellent Spanish and French wines that evening, before continuing our trip.

Me? I buy em to drink em.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, I could never collected wine, personally, I want to drink it at its best point in life. However, without collectors I would have no idea what an old Barbaresco or old Burgundy or Napa, or Felton Empire from the 1970s. It's fun to see how wine ages, and I am thankful to those who preserve these examples and share them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
just don't let it become vinegar to collect a few bucks profit, no matter how much that may be.
you killed the reason for the wine's production ironically, by turning it into an investment product.

not one of those wines in the story above would be palatable.

it's like if one guy says one day, stale yoghurt, it's a thing. and all of a sudden people start collecting
old dannones, and chit. eat tha phaking stuff, that's what it's for!

:shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

• Haha

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Palmina is great, but yeah for $60 you may as well buy Barolo/Barbaresco.

Buying stuff like that^. Cavallotto 2016 is hard to find. Buy it if you see it, Verduno too. It's being said that 2016 is the best Barolo vintage in decades.
Just picked up 2 magnums through my sister's BF who sells wine.

Reactions: enframed

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
View attachment 104541View attachment 104542

Broke my €6 rule.... Spent €6,95 on this. ^^^^
And that lasted less than the usual week. Now I remember why I stick to under €6.

Butt, phook it, going for €20 and under club now, if I can't play with girls in that age range,may as well be the wines! :dancing:

By the way, Coto de Imaz, HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

founded 1548. This reserva 2016 goes down like pure silk.

Reactions: enframed

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
This is interesting: Columbia Valley Oregon nebbiolo from Division Wine Co. 2018. Definitely has markers of nebbiolo like cherry, tar, a little rose, but not much in the secondary stuff like leather, tobacco, that would come from oak. Looks like nebbiolo for sure, the fruit is a bit "cooked" for my taste. At 14% it drinks a liitle hot and is a touch sweet. Reminds me more of a Valtellina Rosso with some age than nebbiolo from Langhe. Not bad, but Thomas Fogarty's is much much better.

oregon nebs.jpeg

This seems to have some oak on it but I can't find online how much, what size, or age of vessels. This really bothers me about American wine companies in general: they're so secretive about how they make the wine.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Had this earlier tonight. Trippy how importers are to find, buy, import, and a retailer resell 30+ year old perfectly stored wine for less than a decent CA wine. 30 years of storage must be cheap in Spain, or something. The guy in town regularly gets stuff this old from all over EUR.

IMG_7947.jpg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Had this earlier tonight. Trippy how importers are to find, buy, import, and a retailer resell 30+ year old perfectly stored wine for less than a decent CA wine. 30 years of storage must be cheap in Spain, or something. The guy in town regularly gets stuff this old from all over EUR.

View attachment 104847
Maybe it's in some super old caves? Either way, nice find :beer:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006

View attachment 104847
A deep enough cave need no electricity to maintain temperature. Looks amazing. What was it like?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A deep enough cave need no electricity to maintain temperature. Looks amazing. What was it like?
Quit a bit of bricking, almost completely resolved tannins and probably approaching its peak and onto a downward slope. I think I kinda scored as it was the last one on the shelf. The sticker on the back says it was acquired from a private collection by Winewise (Benicia ca).

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Quit a bit of bricking, almost completely resolved tannins and probably approaching its peak and onto a downward slope. I think I kinda scored as it was the last one on the shelf. The sticker on the back says it was acquired from a private collection by Winewise (Benicia ca).
Downward slopes are fascinating.

Hiram Simon, the founder & owner of Winewise, has very, very good taste, IMHO, and Winewise is one of the best international importers into California anyway. He is absolutely an expert on Champagne, and French wine in general. One of my all time fave wines was a Ribera Sacra (100% mencia) imported by Winewise, from some cooperative; it was amazing. If you see a bottle with Winewise as importer you know it's good quality. You may not like it, but the quality is there, and you should think about why you didn't like it.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
20210208_160407.jpg20210208_160418.jpg

Not sure what whiney wine things the high falutin crowd would say about this one...

I can only say twas so delicious it only lasted one sitting.

My findings so far with this 'vino' stuff... You get what you pay for, but be careful how much you spend cause there's a certain amount over which you just cannot say "tastes great! let's save some for tomorrow!" ... Before you know it you drank it all and went surfing at midnight with the full moon!

:roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
View attachment 104856View attachment 104857

Not sure what whiney wine things the high falutin crowd would say about this one...

I can only say twas so delicious it only lasted one sitting.

My findings so far with this 'vino' stuff... You get what you pay for, but be careful how much you spend cause there's a certain amount over which you just cannot say "tastes great! let's save some for tomorrow!" ... Before you know it you drank it all and went surfing at midnight with the full moon!

:roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
IMO there is a steep slope in the amount of quality you get per dollar up until maybe the 20s for Euro wine and somewhere around $50-60ish for California wine. Beyond that, your quality increase per dollar spent starts to level off.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura