Mental Health thread

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah, that alcoholic, "I can't drink, woe is me" is really just a super hero complaining. OR he's wasting his super power by drinking.

I can drink, but I also don't have no super power.

Though I wonder if not having super power and learning to harness your will power is a super power.

I do that but I still suck so I'm gonna say no . . . :dancing:
yeah I try not be be around sober guys that just dwell on and mourn their drinking. I mean, whatever it takes to stay away from a drink, that’s fine and for some folks that’s the only way (or only way they can pull it off) but I find it easier to be happy about not drinking. I’ve complained about a LOT of sh!t these last 6 months, but not being drunk is not one of em, thank Cthulhu. I can’t even imagine how the type of drunk I was would have survived 2020. I doubt I would have lived to see summer, let alone our peak tropical surf season. Being grumpy about not drinking is just a waste of what precious positivity I got. it’s not always a cake walk, and I’ve slipped in years past, But it sure as hell beats the alternative.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah had to keep moving and get lucky, and it was competitive, but I got my share. That being said im going to surf right here on my block tomorrow morning. The size difference today, only a half mile down the beach, especially the morning session, was too dramatic to pass up. It was literally 3 times the size just a short walk away. Tomorrow I’ll gladly surf right here and sacrifice a few feet. Fewer people, mostly locals, and multiple peaks to play with.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
yeah I try not be be around sober guys that just dwell on and mourn their drinking. I mean, whatever it takes to stay away from a drink, that’s fine and for some folks that’s the only way (or only way they can pull it off) but I find it easier to be happy about not drinking. I’ve complained about a LOT of sh!t these last 6 months, but not being drunk is not one of em, thank Cthulhu. I can’t even imagine how the type of drunk I was would have survived 2020. I doubt I would have lived to see summer, let alone our peak tropical surf season. Being grumpy about not drinking is just a waste of what precious positivity I got. it’s not always a cake walk, and I’ve slipped in years past, But it sure as hell beats the alternative.
Ice baths and saunas.

That is my advice for addicts who can't do drugs.

I when I eventually quit drinking, doing speed, pain pills, weed, and psychedelics, I will so being doing saunas and ice baths.

The high you get is insane.

Addicts should do niacin too.

And dead lifts:dancing:

Reactions: johnson7

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016

I recently quit drinking too, which was not easy for me, I'm a beer hound. My favorite beer was always a free beer, followed by gallons of Modello, hah. Anyway it's been 14 months now, and no beer or alcohol, which could be the longest I've been without a beer since junior high? I still hang with the boys, and am learning how to enjoy life without constantly having to have a beer in my hand, the no hang over thing was really eye opening too. It definitely hasn't been an easy year, covid, distance learning, and were going on our 29th day in a row of "spare the air days" here in the bay area, sometimes I feel like Loyd Bridges in "Airplane," It looks like a picked the wrong week to quit drinking. For whatever it's worth thank you guys, this forum has been really therapeutic, especially the last 6 months.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I recently quit drinking too, which was not easy for me, I'm a beer hound. My favorite beer was always a free beer, followed by gallons of Modello, hah. Anyway it's been 14 months now, and no beer or alcohol, which could be the longest I've been without a beer since junior high? I still hang with the boys, and am learning how to enjoy life without constantly having to have a beer in my hand, the no hang over thing was really eye opening too. It definitely hasn't been an easy year, covid, distance learning, and were going on our 29th day in a row of "spare the air days" here in the bay area, sometimes I feel like Loyd Bridges in "Airplane," It looks like a picked the wrong week to quit drinking. For whatever it's worth thank you guys, this forum has been really therapeutic, especially the last 6 months.
I've been really fortunate to not have the alcohol gene. It runs in my family. My Dad was a drunk, and my sister is a drunk.

While I like the taste of some things, I generally hate the feeling of being drunk. So it's really easy for me to drink half a beer, and pour the rest away, or go months without a drink, and never even notice I went without.

But I'm as i impressed as I can be with someone who has a craving, and fi ght s themselves into sobriety.

From a random internet stranger, i really am proud of you guys.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I too feel lucky having never had urge to drink. I've tried wine but never had a beer or any other kind of liquor. Just never interested me for some reason. Although, it made college years tough to meet girls at the bar while I'm drinking a sprite. I found the moment they saw me with a beer in hand, it was much easier. So my buddies would give me their half drank beer and I'd buy 'em a new one.

Of course this meant I was always DD but I made sure to get my crew home safe, and then pick them up next day to go get their cars if they could remember where they parked. Some nights I would end up with three or four sets of keys in my pocket.:roflmao:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I freaking love beer, but I know it does nothing good for me. The stress relief is a bandaid. The calories don't help and the impaired judgement make me say dumb things and/or do dumb things. Only drink a few beers a year since 2013 and I gotta say that I don't miss it. I'm not anti beer, I love that stuff, but it's not for me any more. Also one beer makes me urinate 20 times now. #ThisIs40

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
I just get fat the drunk munchies, get bad hangovers, sleep terribly and get headaches. makes not drinking pretty easy for me. I dono if it was all the binge drinking in hs or college but i don;t even really get a buzz anymore. every now and then i'll have some ice cold negra modelos but it's pretty rare. I'll consider myself lucky though as my dad is the type that brews his own beer and has at least has 3 or 4 a night.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think the ability to engage in moderate social drinking is a skill every adult should have.

It always creates a weird state break when people can't do it in a social setting.

If I couldn't drink, I would avoid situations where moderate social drinking was talking place.

Of course this creates limitations on where one goes.

I really don't socialize no more so I don't really need my moderate social drinking skills no more.

So it all evens out in the end.

Cheers

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I too feel lucky having never had urge to drink. I've tried wine but never had a beer or any other kind of liquor. Just never interested me for some reason. Although, it made college years tough to meet girls at the bar while I'm drinking a sprite. I found the moment they saw me with a beer in hand, it was much easier. So my buddies would give me their half drank beer and I'd buy 'em a new one.

Of course this meant I was always DD but I made sure to get my crew home safe, and then pick them up next day to go get their cars if they could remember where they parked. Some nights I would end up with three or four sets of keys in my pocket.:roflmao:
It's that trait that made you the erbb admin that you are! :shaka:

Reactions: the janitor

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I think the ability to engage in moderate social drinking is a skill every adult should have.

It always creates a weird state break when people can't do it in a social setting.

If I couldn't drink, I would avoid situations where moderate social drinking was talking place.

Of course this creates limitations on where one goes.

I really don't socialize no more so I don't really need my moderate social drinking skills no more.

So it all evens out in the end.

Cheers
You're drunk right now, aren't you?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Fck, rough morning. My wife is such a sweet and delicious bag of candy.

180 hour model fairy tales have me hanging in there though.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 8.09.26 AM.png