Mental Health thread

Eunice

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 2, 2007
A Magical and Wondrous Place
Goodness gracious this thread has grown! Have we discussed antidepressant medications yet? At some point, zoloft was mentioned. I'm curious if anybody is on meds and how that is helping or not helping.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Goodness gracious this thread has grown! Have we discussed antidepressant medications yet? At some point, zoloft was mentioned. I'm curious if anybody is on meds and how that is helping or not helping.
I've been on Concerta for about 6 years now. It's for ADD, but I think it's used for depression as well sometimes. I know it gives me the motivation to get up and do the thing (whatever the thing is, at that moment). During this time, I think I'd be much more likely to just give up without it.
Sometimes just doing one thing (a chore, learn a song, a work task, go on a bike ride or a run, call/text a friend) can help to trigger a series of positive events, and it really helps with that.

Eunice

Oct 2, 2007
I've been on Concerta for about 6 years now. It's for ADD, but I think it's used for depression as well sometimes. I know it gives me the motivation to get up and do the thing (whatever the thing is, at that moment). During this time, I think I'd be much more likely to just give up without it.
Sometimes just doing one thing (a chore, learn a song, a work task, go on a bike ride or a run, call/text a friend) can help to trigger a series of positive events, and it really helps with that.
So basically a dopamine enhancer. Does it have side effects? For example, erectile dysfunction or sudden death. (facelick)

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I went for a bike ride today and it really hit home how doing sports that make me mindful of physical balance puts me in a more balanced state of mind.

"Duh", right? And maybe "whatever" for folks who are mentally all buttoned up. But for people like me who get psychological speed wobbles, surfing every day for a decade was a life saver.

And in these challenging times, I find myself missing it more than ever.

Can't wait for ski season. Its not surfing, but its in the ballpark.

And covid can suck my dong.
I haven't been riding this week due to air. I tried to swim piers and it wrecked my sinuses

worst fkn week ever

Autoprax-diagnosed addictive personality that is currently using an addiction to intense
cardio to carry through, but without that outlet this week was fkn sh!t on a stick

Reactions: rice and Mr Doof

Eunice

Oct 2, 2007
You know how they say you should live like it's your last day on earth? Carpe diem and whatnot. Well I have an idea for a pill that will cause sudden and random death. Of course, it will be a placebo and any deaths associated with this pill will simply be a matter of coincidence. But the effect it will have on your outlook will be revolutionary!

Sharks, I present to you Rouletto. The first motivational pill that will not only help you to "seize the day," but will also make me a filthy rich piece of sh!t.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I took zoloft a few years back, it made me feel good, too good. It was like someone flipped a light switch to ON all the time, manic. Im a little more even keeled now but my friends said I was more fun then. Oh well

Reactions: OBSurvivor

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
View attachment 97731

Building a surfboard give me great satisfaction when things go as planned, but causes me extreme stresss, even anger, when they don't. Things rarely go as planned when I build a surfboard. Overcoming hurdles the end result usually balances things out..... Sometimes half way through I just chuck it in the bin
Fk man, looking sexy so far! Is it single concave all the way through?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
View attachment 97731

Building a surfboard give me great satisfaction when things go as planned, but causes me extreme stresss, even anger, when they don't. Things rarely go as planned when I build a surfboard. Overcoming hurdles the end result usually balances things out..... Sometimes half way through I just chuck it in the bin
reading this makes a mere mortal feel slightly less daunted

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
View attachment 97731

You were ripping the other day! Except for going over the falls and almost landing on me. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Been a rough one...coming up on a year (Sat) of my father's passing, as well as my uncles two weeks later. Trying to stay positive.

Waves on the way, but the whole east coast is going to be onshore for two weeks (unless I drive to Long Island)...Hopefully Hatteras doesn't get too flogged and we have a couple windows at the south facing beaches...Hang in there.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I haven't been riding this week due to air. I tried to swim piers and it wrecked my sinuses

worst fkn week ever

Autoprax-diagnosed addictive personality that is currently using an addiction to intense
cardio to carry through, but without that outlet this week was fkn sh!t on a stick
Yeah, that alcoholic, "I can't drink, woe is me" is really just a super hero complaining. OR he's wasting his super power by drinking.

I can drink, but I also don't have no super power.

Though I wonder if not having super power and learning to harness your will power is a super power.

I do that but I still suck so I'm gonna say no . . . :dancing:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
View attachment 97731

The curse of caring.

That is a teaching issue too.

Reactions: b.r.