***Official FIRES thread***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When I worked on the Awbrey Hall fire I got very interested in the morning briefings, wind/weather and size of fire/% containment.

One night the fire doubled in size.

What it looks like when you’re not worried about evacuating:

I worked for a private contractor, Skookum Reforestation. We mostly did boring stuff(mop up) but not always. I didn’t get to light a backburn that summer but people I worked with had and said everyone fought to get to use the flare pistol.

Last edited:

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Updated fire maps of CREEK FIRE

Reports this morning of some houses lost in Shaver, but majority have been saved so far. Fire is working it's way around the north side of the lake and to the back side (eastern side) of Shaver Lake. This area is steeper terrain but much fewer houses. Hopefully it doesn't envelope the lake like it did at Mammoth. Fire crews doing a stellar job.
Any local updates today? Map shows it down past Cressmans...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Latest fire map. Dot colors show hot spots by time. dark red is most recent, within last 12h. You can see how close it is getting to Tollhouse, Prather, Auberry, Northfork, and Bass Lake communities.

Sad to report Cressmans is gone. Last night fire raged south and engulfed it, and has now jumped the highway there to the south, and heading down the hill into the Prather community. Fire guys tried to hold the line but this fire is a monster.

Also, wind has shifted and fire is now moving in ALL directions, north, south, east, and west. This fire is the big one everyone knew was coming. Bark beatle killed so many trees, it would have taken 15 years to log the entire forest of dead trees. They've been logging like crazy already for many years, but there are just too many dead trees in really hard to reach areas. Mega fuel for this fire.

Fire has also wrapped around the north side of Huntington Lake where the majority of homes and condos are, along the local restaurant, saloon, gas station, etc.

Fire has now surrounded Shaver on three sides and crossing Dinkey Creek road which means it's nearing another set of homes. It's also getting close to Northfork to the west, which is south of Coarsegold, and raging towards Bass Lake too, which has had it's share of fires over the years.

Also, Pine Ridge School is now gone, so fire is moving really fast (moving east) down the hill.

Pine Ridge location

The Clovis and Fresno communities have really come through on this. They drove up horse trailers and trucks to help locals get all the livestock out, horses, cows, sheep, etc. and drove them all to pastures in Clovis to save everyone's animals. Shelters have been set up. Lots of people offering to take in dogs, cats, etc. and use of their property to store vehicles, and anything else.

Cressmans is located here, so you can see the fire has raged south quite a ways now

Cressmans, shot by owner Ty before he left down the hill to evac last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry and Chocki

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sad to report Cressmans is gone. Last night fire raged south and engulfed it, and has now jumped the highway there to the south, and heading down the hill into the Prather community. Fire guys tried to hold the line but this fire is a monster.

Also, wind has shifted and fire is now moving in ALL directions, north, south, east, and west. This fire is the big one everyone knew was coming. Bark beatle killed so many trees, it would have taken 15 years to log the entire forest of dead trees. They've been logging like crazy already for many years

Fire has also wrapped around the north side of Huntington Lake where the majority of homes and condos are, along the local restaurant, saloon, gas station, etc.

Fire has now surrounded Shaver on three sides and crossing Dinkey Creek road which means it's nearing another set of homes. It's also getting close to Northfork to the west, which is south of Coarsegold, and raging towards Bass Lake too, which has had it's share of fires over the years.

The Clovis and Fresno communities have really come through on this. They drove up horse trailers and trucks to help locals get all the livestock out, horses, cows, sheep, etc. and drove them all to pastures in Clovis to save everyone's animals. Shelters have been set up. Lots of people offering to take in dogs, cats, etc. and use of their property to store vehicles, and anything else.
holy s*&t...i will STOP whining about my roof damage and lack of surf/income/mobility/travel and every other fukked up thing 2020 has (or has not) delivered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBerry

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Latest fire map. Dot colors show hot spots by time. dark red is most recent, within last 12h. You can see how close it is getting to Tollhouse, Prather, Auberry, Northfork, and Bass Lake communities.

Also, wind has shifted and fire is now moving in ALL directions, north, south, east, and west. This fire is the big one everyone knew was coming. Bark beatle killed so many trees, it would have taken 15 years to log the entire forest of dead trees. They've been logging like crazy already for many years, but there are just too many dead trees in really hard to reach areas. Mega fuel for this fire.

Cressmans, shot by owner Ty before he left down the hill to evac last night.

Cressmans is located here, so you can see the fire has raged south quite a ways now

So sad...Cressmans was our spot for early coffee, maybe a Beerock, then back for lunch...got to know most of the workers there the past two years...a lot of them live down Cressman and Peterson roads...they had been making headway on the dead trees to the west, but two weeks ago when we were there, we noticed huge areas around Huntington lake of dead lodgepole pines...I mean thousands of them...damm....

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
the smoke is thick today but I think it's coming from distant fires.

my girlfriends father took a job at a fire lookout for the summer. he woke up this morning and his lookout was literally on fire. he managed to save the structure, at least temporarily, with a garden hose but they are evacuating him by helicopter now. they think the fire started from nearby power lines and it is already out of control with the high winds that are occurring in the mountains right now.

heavy times.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Right now they are attempting to rescue the 50 or so hikers and campers hunkering down at Edison Lake Vermillion Campgrounds. They tried last night but visibility was impossible for the heli's to get in there. Clearer conditions today. Take note, fire has not reached that lake so the people are good to go. But the only road out of there has been cut off by the fire near Huntington and fire that still raging east (above) of Mammoth.

Also, air tankers are on the scene this morning.

Have we heard back from Afoaf yet?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Aruka and TheEl

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Right now they are attempting to rescue the 50 or so hikers and campers hunkering down at Edison Lake Vermillion Campgrounds. They tried last night but visibility was impossible for the heli's to get in there. Clearer conditions today. Take note, fire has not reached that lake so the people are good to go. But the only road out of there has been cut off by the fire near Huntington and fire that still raging east (above) of Mammoth.

Also, air tankers are on the scene this morning.

Have we heard back from Afoaf yet?

Looks like they were able to chopper out 128 people from Florence, Mono Hot Springs and Edison Lake.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: r32

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I empathize with the people who are being rescued. These are fast moving fires.

It's hard to empathize with people much longer if they are watching this unfold and not taking measure to get out..

Get the fuck out. Fuck your camping trip.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's hard to empathize with people much longer if they are watching this unfold and not taking measure to get out..

Get the fook out. fook your camping trip.
I don’t think they know that fire spreads at 6-10mph, can double in size overnight, change direction, etc.

We spent most of the summer working as forest fire janitors making sure everything was out but there was more than a few times where I got issued a fire shelter aka shake n bake bag.
The first time I got one someone told me “that’s a last resort, you get in there when it’s time to give up”. I was told to never run from the fire ESPECIALLY uphill/you WILL NOT make it over the ridge and instead to run into the black(an already burnt area). If we had time we were told to start lighting everything on fire in a specific area to create a defensible space to then lay down in our shake and bakes in.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Fire hitting China Peak. 1 trailer + 1 structure lost so far. If it's hitting China Peak, that means the fire has engulfed the north side of Huntington, which is thick in trees, and almost all the homes and condos are on the north side of the lake.

Also, new spot fire started in Bullfrog lake area between Courtright and Dinkey Creek area. That area is unreachable with no fire roads. They dropped retardant on it and not confident they can put it out before it spreads.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: JBerry