***Official FIRES thread***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
stay safe. i've been through several wildland fires and always found it best to find something constructive to do while you ride out the waiting

you know.. sweep off the roof and clean out your gutters, pull all the flammable stuff away from the house. have your gf put a bag together in case you have to bail. all the fire safe stuff you should have done well in advance

things like that.

then crack a beer, sit on the porch and listen to the night knowing you did what you could
cheers bud. I got all my important papers and whatnot ready to go. no beers but I did find some good tequila so we are sipping on that. i don't drink often so a couple sips and I'm feeling it.

i'm actually supposed to leave for Portland in the morning but that will probably depend on whether they have this thing under control or not.

riots vs. wildfires, pick your poison 2020.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
#creekfire
Between Shaver and Huntington lake.
Blowing up. I thought to put in the backpacking thread because it’s such a great camping/backpacking area. And I also have camping reservations at Camp Edison in 2 weeks. :mad:
watching this one closely.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
At Ebbetts Pass right now. Smoky as hell. Ash falling. Orange glow over the sierra ridge to the south from the SLINK fire. Looks quite ominous. Tons of people up here, campgrounds full everywhere despite nasty breathing conditions. Never seen so many SUP boards and kayaks on these lakes. I counted 30+ kayaks and 20+ SUP at same lake.

Will have to head down tomorrow as air quality is deteriorating fast and my lungs already feel like I inhaled several bags of coal. SLINK fire still raging. Worst air I've ever seen or experienced in CA.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Slinkfire Oh! Crazy times r32! That creek fire is outta control too! Probably will be getting smoke from that one as well. Every year seems to be a fire near Walker. Stay safe!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's gonna be a rough week. That fire north of Shaver is in really rugged, remote territory and will be huge.

Santa Anas are supposed to hit Wednesday.

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
#creekfire
Between Shaver and Huntington lake.
Blowing up. I thought to put in the backpacking thread because it’s such a great camping/backpacking area. And I also have camping reservations at Camp Edison in 2 weeks. :mad:
watching this one closely.
Yeah, I just worked up there in that exact area doing hazard tree assessments...early this year they were doing the removals and controlled underbrush burns...hopefully it helped...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Drove down the hill to small town of Arnold and hanging here. Smoke is out of control on Highway 4. Raining ash.

CREEK FIRE started between Shaver and Huntington and is raging north towards southern boundary of Yosemite, Bass Lake, and Oakhurst. Fire reached Mammoth Pool last night and trapped a bunch of people. Luckily Air Nat Guard rescued all with Chinooks but I have to think some people must be trapped in backcountry above. There is almost no cell phone reception anywhere above Mammoth Pool, and only two main dirt roads lead to backcountry and both are blocked.

Mammoth Pool water level is low due to drought winter. This is lucky because it means there is large area at the boat ramp that is usually under water, where people drove their vehicles down to the water edge, where no trees are. So if water was high, all would be trapped by fire.

Bass Lake, Reddinger lake mandatory evac. Oakhurst on alert.

Mammoth Pool

Big birds coming in to swoop people like a boss.

To give you idea, this is side of lake fire approached from. All area in this photo is burned according to fire map.

Fire growing fast. Latest map

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I drove 395 through Mammoth to Reno, Truckee, Tahoe, through Sacramento, and down 101 home. Basically circled the entire Sierra range. Very few places without smoke, nowhere without extreme heat on the Western side when the sun was out today. Left Tahoe at 3am and got back around 11:30. The crowds/traffic at S. Tahoe yesterday were the worst I've seen all year in person or any pics.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Sad to report CREEK FIRE has reached Shaver Lake. Crews making a stand at the road but it's already jumped the highway to the east side where most of the homes are at.

#FARKME!!
so bummed to see that vid. such an amazing area all up there.

Really hoping they can save the Mariposa Grove trees, if it gets that far NW, which looks like its heading that way.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My wife's family is all from the foothills and the Auberry/Shaver area. Been there 150 years. Built a bunch of those houses and cabins, my father in law drove logging trucks up there his whole life and his dad did it before him. Watching them deal with this is like watching a family funeral.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Update. Heard they saved the houses on north end of Shaver, for now. With back burns and diggers, the firefighters held the line. Another group of firefighters trying to save the houses at Huntington. No update on their progress as fire rages north and northwest. Bass lake is full evac as fire is nearing.

Also, some backpackers and campers are stuck in back country above Edison and Florence. No cell reception way up there. Rangers are sweeping the trails as fast as they can to get everyone to safety and will have to heli evac. If Rangers can't find them, they will have to hunker down, or hike east 16 miles over Piute Pass, or stay above the tree line and hope for a rescue off the mountain peaks, but it's smokey af up there so breathing will be major concern. It's also blazing hot temps for hiking right now. 103 in Yosemite today.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheEl

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Hard to imagine being stuck up above Edison. There is cell reception there though! ATT good rt by the dam. I’d just try to get to VVR store and eat hamburgers and sit by the lake if I were stuck.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Huntington update: Evac'd 45 vehicles to China Peak which has large parking lot where they will hunker down.