Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
craigj532 said:
I have only weird surfboards that I hardly ever ride:

5'7" Mini Bonzer Light Vehicle
5'7" Morgan Twin Keel Fish
6'2" Vercelli Single Fin
7'4" Lovelace V-Bowls

Four or five pairs of swimfins that I use all the time for bodysurfing.

A Fourth Gear Flyer Lotus surfmat that I use when I'm not bodysurfing.

A Krypt surfmat that I lend to friends who want to try a surfmat.

And at least 15 handboards that I use regularly.

I spend more and more time on the surfmat, even on the North Shore, in marginal/sketchy waves in order to avoid crowds.
Do you ever feel like you're going to jack up your shoulder with the handboards?

I've moved to bodysurfing only because I felt like I was killing my shoulders

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
1 everyday board
1 everyday board for soft knee high waves
1 longboard, in the rafters..I dont remember ever using it.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
ifallalot said:
craigj532 said:
I have only weird surfboards that I hardly ever ride:

5'7" Mini Bonzer Light Vehicle
5'7" Morgan Twin Keel Fish
6'2" Vercelli Single Fin
7'4" Lovelace V-Bowls

Four or five pairs of swimfins that I use all the time for bodysurfing.

A Fourth Gear Flyer Lotus surfmat that I use when I'm not bodysurfing.

A Krypt surfmat that I lend to friends who want to try a surfmat.

And at least 15 handboards that I use regularly.

I spend more and more time on the surfmat, even on the North Shore, in marginal/sketchy waves in order to avoid crowds.
Do you ever feel like you're going to jack up your shoulder with the handboards?

I've moved to bodysurfing only because I felt like I was killing my shoulders
To answer the above question, I’ve been using an Enjoy pressed hay handplane most lately. Totally flat, no concave, but thin. I’ve yet to find the perfect handplane. I have one of the Slyde Bula handboards, but I find it to be too heavy. I also have one of the original foam and fiberglass Bula boards on which the Slyde board is based. It’s lighter and, IMO, better, but it feels like too much board for me. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I weigh at least 75 pounds less than the Hawaiians who designed it.

I don’t use a handboard in shorebreak waves. Too easy to jack up your shoulder there. But I try to avoid shorebreak waves as much as possible. Otherwise, it’s never bothered me in real waves.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
5.5 - Tomo Evo Helium (only 3 surfs on it so far)
5.7 - Tomo Omni LFT (second hand bargain - love this sh!t out of it)
5.11 - JR Donkey PU (every day board, but not liking it much)
5.11 - Tomo SKX (yellow as fuck second hand bargain, but wanted to try it. Great board, if a little temperamental at times) LFT
6.0 - JR Grinder MAX PU (better wave board)
6.4 fish of some description PU (take it out just to fuck around on)

Sold the step up since the Ments trip. Not used the PU boards in nearly a year, waves at home on east coast of AU's been dogshit for ages.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I used to be extensive but found I only rode 1-2 boards most of the time, so I've paired down to kinda minimal:

5'6 Mardawg Snot Rocket EPS
5'6 Super Brand Fling SuperFlex Tech
5'7 Stretch Super Buzz CFT
6'1 Pyzel Ghost XTR
6'6 Pyzel Ghost XTR

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've definitely crossed from having an extensive quiver into full on board hoarder status.

I'm afraid to count but probably near 30 now with most of them being fairly boring yet functional 6'3"+/- daily driver thrusters. The road to the magic board is paved with rejects.

As far as what I'm actually throwing in the truck most often this past year it's:

5'10 Stretch Quadfish
6'2 Stamps GX
6'3 Stamps CX
6'5" Pyzel Ghost XTR
7'2" Arakawa RP

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Greg Griffin said:
Quiver for Florida:

Ultra fun Suzuki gsx s1000f

One board quiver Tri Fin Hovercraft

Canfield One - anywhere bike

Will be adding a few boards when I start glassing them .
There. Are. Still. No. Fishing. Poles.

It's happy bait. Get an 8' spinner, a 5000 series reel, some 15# nanofil, some 30# flouro.
Rapala skitter walk, skitter v, x-rap, and especially the sub walk. Black back, green back. White bucktail jigs, silver and gold kastmaster spoons. Pair of needle nose pliers.
4-6' net, certified 5 gallon bucket, 2 D batteries, and the fizzy bubbler if you prefer live bait.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Duffy said:
Why do you have a downhill bike in Florida?
Santos is better than you think and the oak roots at most local zones will run a bike seat rape train on you without full suspension.

GG-man I think fishing with lures during the mullet run is much more fast-paced than bait-n-wait and spanking it on the beach.

I'd head up to Slaughter Slough when there's a little north in it with an outgoing tide and fish the beach south of there. Bait should flush out and down and fishy should be waiting. Haven't been down there except once to Surf Station 2 in a dog's age.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Kento said:
bird. said:
Not sure if it's minimal or not, but this is the quiver I've happily settled on:

Grovel-ish/fishy board (Stamps Fuse)
Short period windswell stubby shortboard (Shorter, wider Stamps GX)
Every day shortboard (Longer, narrower Stamps GX)
Good wave shortboard (JS Monsta 6)
Step-up (Stamps)

Props to Kento for maintaining the life-long college student quiver. The rest of us are probably overthinking things. :socrazy:
I'm not sure if I should be offended by that or not. :roflmao:
Ha, I’m the same way. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate new boards and reading the design forum nerdery but I haven’t bought a new board in over a year and a half, when I bought 2 used/cheap boards for a trip. Before that it has been over 3 years since I bought a new daily driver short board, not counting a log I bought on a whim. Hell, the last time I surfed I rode a board I bought in 2010. :shrug:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Sharkbiscuit said:
Duffy said:
Why do you have a downhill bike in Florida?
Santos is better than you think and the oak roots at most local zones will run a bike seat rape train on you without full suspension.

GG-man I think fishing with lures during the mullet run is much more fast-paced than bait-n-wait and spanking it on the beach.

I'd head up to Slaughter Slough when there's a little north in it with an outgoing tide and fish the beach south of there. Bait should flush out and down and fishy should be waiting. Haven't been down there except once to Surf Station 2 in a dog's age.

greg n sharkbiscuit make florida actually look livable and fun lol

just taking the ****...

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Havoc4k said:
OK to change things up a bit if you could only have 1 board in your quiver, what would it be? Only 1 yoz!

i’d take my lost quiver killer
When I bought that board last year, it was the first board I had bought in 7 years.

My usual daily driver is a network of poorly repaired dings, plus a couple that are sucking water from God knows where. Board is great for about a 90 minute session and then has to be dried out for a few days. Perfect for getting into paddling shape, like trying to paddle a cinder block.

I fucked up when I got the lost Qk and actually adhered to volume estimates (first board I ever bought where liters were part of the dims) so I got too much volume. Was going to sell it until taking it out that last good swell a couple weeks ago. That extra volume was really good for heaving barrels and the shorter board length is good for the late drops into them. Good for bigger waves but I still need a new daily driver. I predict a Xmas gift to myself. :beer:

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I think part of the problem is me. Good surf and well rested, great, standard sb but good surf and coming off night shifts then I just want to cruise.

fickle surf and old surfer