You'll all be riding popouts in the future :) Or starting a GoFundMe.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
According to OP, we'll all be riding pop outs due to an ambiguously gendered Japanese man.
The OP is dragging Burch yet rates Lovelace.
The OP thinks nobody else's board matters but won't order a custom from a big name Cal/Aus brand unless he can talk to the shaper directly.

Got to give him credit, the fishbox is full. Good day draggin' in the 'Stream!

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Hate all you want. FW has some great boards. Get them on the cheap off of people who buy the wrong size or whatever. I got a FW Unibrow :monkey: for $150. Durable and a nice board for half-bad waves. Doesn't work in good waves at the boat size I got (6'0" 33L).

Ryan Burch is a clown selling red noses.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It's weird to me that people buy Firewire at it's price point. I fly fish, and basically all of the major rod manufacturers at a premium price point are building in the US with quality componentry. Redington and other budget builders source out of South Korea, and China. Maybe I'd buy a Firewire if they were $400, but a lot of time they're more expensive than Pyzel/CI/Lost.
Agreed buying new Firewires is a poor choice. However if one is curious about any of them it easy to buy used Firewires for those dollars (or less) around here. Commonly they will be sold with fins, legropes and even a cover. Often they will be in perfect or near perfect condition too so that means can try a board and then move it on again. No harm, no foul and quite often for a profit and keep or sell the fins, cover too.

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
You guys are missing the point. Who else is building….AND more importantly, marketing boards made out of volcano residue?!?! Now THAT is worth the extra coin as it will undoubtedly improve your surf abilities…or lack thereof. Latest marketing lingo is that they’re “forged in fire” - see below if you want a laugh
don't take one of these to hawaii. pele would not be pleased

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Driving around San Diego nowadays, I see so many oversized lifted 4x4 trucks looking like they’re fully equipped with brushguards, roof platforms, racks, etc. to take on deepest Africa. Commercial real estate brokers and other guys driving to their desk job are willing to spend $80k on these… even though they don’t actually make their dicks any bigger than the base model Ford ranger for $25k.

as far as varying price points, alternative designs and constructions, marketing gimmicks, perceived value-adds, where/how they are made… the same can be applied to most products, particularly sporting goods. Golf clubs, tennis or pickleball racquets, soccer cleats, basketball shoes, running shoes, knives, guitars, tools… you name it.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Driving around San Diego nowadays, I see so many oversized lifted 4x4 trucks looking like they’re fully equipped with brushguards, etc. to take on deepest Africa. Guys driving to their desk job are willing to spend $80k on these… even though they don’t actually make their dicks any bigger than the base model ford ranger for $25k.

as far as varying price points, alternative designs and constructions, marketing gimmicks, perceived value-adds, where/how they are made… the same can be applied to most products, particularly sporting goods. Golf clubs, tennis or pickleball racquets, soccer cleats, basketball shoes, running shoes… you name it.
Meanwhile in deepest, darkest Africa the locals are driving through gnarly stuff that would make the desk jockeys wimper in fear at traversing in a clapped out Toyota Hilux.
Hanging at a South East Asian reef break recently the locals were ripping the snot out of the waves on boards that you would only find in a dumpster in any Western country.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
It's weird to me that people buy Firewire at it's price point. I fly fish, and basically all of the major rod manufacturers at a premium price point are building in the US with quality componentry. Redington and other budget builders source out of South Korea, and China. Maybe I'd buy a Firewire if they were $400, but a lot of time they're more expensive than Pyzel/CI/Lost.
do not crush deforester’s dreams!

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Driving around San Diego nowadays, I see so many oversized lifted 4x4 trucks looking like they’re fully equipped with brushguards, roof platforms, racks, etc. to take on deepest Africa. Commercial real estate brokers and other guys driving to their desk job are willing to spend $80k on these… even though they don’t actually make their dicks any bigger than the base model Ford ranger for $25k.

as far as varying price points, alternative designs and constructions, marketing gimmicks, perceived value-adds, where/how they are made… the same can be applied to most products, particularly sporting goods. Golf clubs, tennis or pickleball racquets, soccer cleats, basketball shoes, running shoes… you name it.
signals an econ crash is coming soon

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
signals an econ crash is coming soon
As far as shapers being inexperienced, what would you consider enough years or boars shaped to "qualify"? Does the shaper ripping on his own designs (best test pilot for design feedback) factor in at all? How old was Skip Frye when he started to get recognized for his shaping at G&S?

Seem to fit a wider trend the last 20+/- years of tech boom where younger people are able to be seen as innovators, disruptors, creative leaders in their field... at least in contrast to previous generations where you had to work your way up, and put in years under more senior people before anyone would take you seriously. Maybe its the shorter attention spans LOL, but younger generation doesn't want to wait.
For example, I was surprised to notice a few weeks go how young NFL head coaches have become. Used to 50-70 and work years as a coordinator before they finally got their shot as a HC. Now seems like most are 30-50, after being a hot prospect QB coach or linebackers coach for a couple seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Also, curious if most of us on here would consider the carbon fiber builds (like DA) a marketing gimmick or a value added alternative construction? It seems like the consensus is that there is noticeable difference in how the boars feel / surf vs. PU/PE. Obviously, whether that could possibly improve your experience/enjoyment of surfing and is worth the increased cost is entirely subjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For example, I was surprised to notice a few weeks go how young NFL head coaches have become. Used to 50-70 and work years as a coordinator before they finally got their shot as a HC. Now seems like most are 30-50, after being a hot prospect QB coach or linebackers coach for a couple seasons.
Rule changes favoring the passing game.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Also, curious if most of us on here would consider the carbon fiber builds (like DA) a marketing gimmick or a value added alternative construction? It seems like the consensus is that there is noticeable difference in how the boars feel / surf vs. PU/PE. Obviously, whether that could possibly improve your experience/enjoyment of surfing and is worth the increased cost is entirely subjective.
I've seen/know enough competent surfers that really like the build. Snappy, good light feel, and very durable.