You'll all be riding popouts in the future :) Or starting a GoFundMe.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
maybe. but more erbb/casa hyperbole than reality.

today. typical sunday morning crowd for small clean kine. 3hrs. spanning three bars. about a dozen guys came and went. name basis with all but a couple.

out of that all but 2 were on stringered pu with 5 local backyard boards, a couple stamps, 1 pyzel, a rawson, and a baja shaper whose name i forget.

other than the rawson i guarantee you that the pop outs cost more than any of the other boards in the water and 8 were customs
Now imagine how much better that session would've been if you had alternative tech under your feet.

Or a swallow cut into the nose (so you can poke two eyes out instead of one).

Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 6.08.20 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm wondering at what point the cost of packing and shipping a board offsets the saving made by using cheap overseas labor?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Wanna restore your faith in the "industry "?
I ordered a Kazuma a few months back. He replied almost instantly. Told me a week to completion of my custom. 3 friggin DAYS (not 3 weeks, months or years: have had all those wait times in the "industry"), it ARRIVED on my island.
Forget the exact amount but under $650 for a clear 7'2 including tax, plus $50 interisland shipping.
Was so blown away I sent him $60 worth of coffee from here.
Blue collar work ethic. Hard on the body so not sure how he sustains it, but support guys like this while they exist!
have had the same experience with kazuma. it's nice that the shaper goes shape right after you talk. i've had too many times where a shaper makes my board months after we talked and what comes out of it is nothing like we discussed. makes me question if they forgot over that 2 months.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
There isn't a soul on this message board who needs, or whose surfing benefits from,"alternative technology" in surfboards.
i think the alternative technology can be very beneficial for specific types of conditions, but that the PU is the best bet on average, goes well in all type conditions.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
It's great that you enjoy the "new" "tech".

I also have a strong opinion.... Personally, I've gone back to stringered PU for all wave types and sizes. I prefer it with epoxy resin, but PE is fine.

Feels great
Not corky
doesn't suck in 50% of the pacific ocean when you get a ding
cheaper
Better durability (I mean this)
how more durable?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
What makes you enjoy a glass of champagne, a fresh oyster, or the tasting menu at a luxury restaurant? While taste and personal preference play a part, they might not tell the whole story.

There's something else that gives you pleasure — the price.

It's tough news for our wallets, but studies show that we tend to value expensive items over their cheaper counterparts. It's known as the "marketing placebo effect."

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
never underestimate the placebo effect especially if you spend majority of the time witb the boar floating you between your legs not under your feet.

• Haha
Reactions: tacos

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
What makes you enjoy a glass of champagne, a fresh oyster, or the tasting menu at a luxury restaurant? While taste and personal preference play a part, they might not tell the whole story.

There's something else that gives you pleasure — the price.

It's tough news for our wallets, but studies show that we tend to value expensive items over their cheaper counterparts. It's known as the "marketing placebo effect."

PT Barnum said it more succinctly;)

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I seriously doubt they had mass board factories back then.
I can assure you they did in the Gidget era.

1698663746414.png

i've had too many times where a shaper makes my board months after we talked and what comes out of it is nothing like we discussed.
Better yet, you order boards for your grom and they take 6-months to get instead of 6-weeks and by the time they arrive, they've been outgrown. Had that happen twice.

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"The green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."
No need to get personal lol, but in that case you can concoct whatever scenario that makes you feel better about the $20K you've spent on boards you noted had sandthroughs/exposed weave.

The only selling points for his boards are their looks and RB rips on them.

They look totally average under the feet of very good surfers.

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 5.54.16 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I can assure you they did in the Gidget era.

View attachment 165590
Yup, plenty of shapers selling loads of units even back then.

It always boggles my mind how many surfboards get made, or have been made.

Seems way more boards get made than there are surfer's surfers.

I have no idea where the hell they all go. Just sitting in someone's garage or storage unit somewhere?

Reactions: tacos

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
When I was young I worked at a shop and often thought the same - even more so with things like leashes. Why are guys always buying leashes?

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and tacos

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yeah but you have two kids who have been growing like weeds over the past decades, plus yourself, so it figures there'd be a ton.
Three kids. Now there is a foil board in the board room too. Damn do those things take up a sh!t ton of space. One foil board takes up as much space as six shortboards. No good way to store that thing.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta