You'll all be riding popouts in the future :) Or starting a GoFundMe.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This right here

Surfboars are like swells they come they go. I surf a lot, especially during the summer. I’m happy if a boar last 6 months. Step ups and mini guns last longer cause they don’t get ridden as much and are built more sturdy.

I appreciate boars that have history behind them or are made by masters that are no longer with us. But a surfboar is meant to be surfed.

I also understand wall hangers. I don’t have that kind of extra cash laying around. If I did it’d go to an extended Fiji trip or a memorable relapse. That would involve Vegas, blow and taller than me hookers. Haha.
Midget hookers in Vegas? Sounds like we need to do an erBB meetup !

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and teeroi

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
"Easier to turn" - if you have difficulty turning a modern HPSB you are probably on the wrong genre of equipment.

"Many pros have gone on record saying they work" - that's 90% of surfboard marketing in a nutshell.

I will say, the Picklefork looks like one of the most difficult boards to surf that I've ever seen.

You should try a Pyzalien 2.
Yeah, I totally agree. It does look that way. When I got my first one, I was like "Holy fvck! I'm gonna surf like even more of a kook on this!" as it looks so weird and complicated. But it actually feels totally balanced and natural, and it helps me do the little things (turns, gaining speed, projection and drive) all a bit easier, smoother and faster. You should try one! Then you'd know what I'm talking about and you'd have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You guys are missing the point. Who else is building….AND more importantly, marketing boards made out of volcano residue?!?! Now THAT is worth the extra coin as it will undoubtedly improve your surf abilities…or lack thereof. Latest marketing lingo is that they’re “forged in fire” - see below if you want a laugh
I, personally, can’t wait to try one of these! I’ve never had a volcanic and the tech seemed similar to dark arts. As many surfboards as you have it’s surprising that you’re not curious about a volcanic tech?

It's weird to me that people buy Firewire at it's price point. I fly fish, and basically all of the major rod manufacturers at a premium price point are building in the US with quality componentry. Redington and other budget builders source out of South Korea, and China. Maybe I'd buy a Firewire if they were $400, but a lot of time they're more expensive than Pyzel/CI/Lost.
The sell is the shape. You can a board from a shaper you like (Tomo, Machado, Ðåñ Mann) with no wait time and in a couple different tech options. Then throw in the fact that surfers you love to watch surf are riding them and making them look so fun. Plus, the resale value is still pretty high. It’s a ”no brainer”.

Good resale value. Popular brand. Available immediately. It’s proven that people are willing to pay a little more for convenience.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I’ve never bought a FireWire, and don’t think I ever will… but I’ve fondled a few Machado ones. They have an insanely bladed out tail that I don’t see anyone else doing. Dan Mann has a name for it that I can’t recall. And I have wondered if their construction allows them to go extra thin like that.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
his brand but i dont think his personal work.
"Hey my name is Rob Machado, stoked you're here and that we're able to share the stoke. Ever since coming off tour I have found pleasure in the simple things like riding fun boards with great people in beautiful places. Here at "Rob Machado Surfboards," you will find an array of my favorite shapes. Most of my boards are made from epoxy foam and glassed with e-polly resin. With the help from my sponsor, Firewire I have been able to continue to be a professional surfer and now a shaper / designer. All "Rob Machado Surfboards," are hand touched by me personally. I hope you find one or a few you enjoy, I am pleased to be able to create these fun sleds and share the stoke."

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
FW fans let’s just agree to disagree.

On the Basalt/Volcanic tech. One of the regulars has an El Tomo second hand from another regular at my usual town spot. He surfs it well but not noticeably better than any of the locally made boars he rides. He cracked a fin box and had to let it dry out for over a month before repairing it. Bruce was going to take it to reoair after a month and noticed dried salt along the crack. Had to let it dry a couple more weeks.

Concerning my midlength I’ve been riding. My BIL came out with a Vesso demo Kerry Tokoro let him sample. I caught 3 waves on it and knew I liked it and what I would adjust. Put in an order and Kerry called me. I asked him to make it a 6’6 instead of a 6’9. Pull in the nose. Adjust fin placement so I could surf it as a dedicated twin without a third box like the demo had. Got it sprayed green too. None of those things are available with a pop out. Except you can spray green over the finished boar, which shouldn’t affect the boars performance unlike the adjustments I asked Kerry for. Boar works great. Got an epic barrel on it this past swell. It was less expensive than an OTR FW/SD boar too.

There’s no argument that would ever change my position on supporting a locally made custom boar over a mass produced overseas boar. But live your own life.