YOLO ALERTS

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Here is the YOLO alert I promised you guys. Meant to bridge the very large gap between my mid-length which I love (CI Mid) and my myriads of 7'+ step-up/guns.

Was riding my CI Mid in some HH+ surf the other day and loved the paddle and glide but the board was definitely redlining (despite making some fin adjustments) so decided a YOLO was a must.

I've always wanted to try an Album Ledge and the dims seemed to do the trick. I was skeptical that the board could come out at ~42L given the dimensions (6'9 x 19.75 x 2.56) until I saw the foil. This thing is flat AF in the deck. Looks like a barrel of fun. Nice clean glass job on this one btw.

View attachment 121448View attachment 121447View attachment 121446
Fin placement looks good

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I know. Thought about that. Kind of feel like there's a leash string shortage out there. These were really the best I could find :/
LOL.
Looks great. IMO quad always a good choice for solid waves.
Was that a online stock yolo from their site?

Someone please yolo this EAST plasmic so I won't be tempted. Help a brother out!
here's a 5'8 TM too: https://www.varialsurf.com/collections/in-stock-surfboards/products/twinsman-58a

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah i dont have an OG plasmic to compare but the EAST and the Lightbender have very similar rockers. I think the EAST actually has a little more tail rocker and with the channel and diamond tail its a bit of different ride. I really dig mine after many sessions in many different conditions both at home and now here down south. I definitely prefer it to the Lightbender which I also really dig. Still running the Fascination twins but I will try something more upright again soon.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah i dont have an OG plasmic to compare but the EAST and the Lightbender have very similar rockers. I think the EAST actually has a little more tail rocker and with the channel and diamond tail its a bit of different ride. I really dig mine after many sessions in many different conditions both at home and now here down south. I definitely prefer it to the Lightbender which I also really dig. Still running the Fascination twins but I will try something more upright again soon.
I'm really tempted by that 5'9 but I'd probably want it 5'10 and maybe even more narrow. It's really the next logical step in my goal of an all-plasmic channel quiver! LOL
from the varial description it sounds like meant for more normal waves than grovel-capable OG Plasmic. Doesn't mention rocker change tho:
  • Featured in the "Electric Acid Surfboard Test" (E.A.S.T.)
  • Flatter fish-like rocker
  • Double barrel bonzer-style concaves
  • Tail has wings that make it a little more maneuverable
  • Shaped for more everyday conditions compared to the traditional Plasmic
  • E.A.S.T. Plasmic is a little thinner, narrower, and a bit longer

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Here is the YOLO alert I promised you guys. Meant to bridge the very large gap between my mid-length which I love (CI Mid) and my myriads of 7'+ step-up/guns.

Was riding my CI Mid in some HH+ surf the other day and loved the paddle and glide but the board was definitely redlining (despite making some fin adjustments) so decided a YOLO was a must.

I've always wanted to try an Album Ledge and the dims seemed to do the trick. I was skeptical that the board could come out at ~42L given the dimensions (6'9 x 19.75 x 2.56) until I saw the foil. This thing is flat AF in the deck. Looks like a barrel of fun. Nice clean glass job on this one btw.

View attachment 121448
Good looking board.