XTR

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Only issue I've ever had with XTR (as far as I can remember) was an extra bead of resin stuck in one of the fin boxes. Had to chip it out. Not that big a deal. Been using them for years and years now (since just BEFORE the Clark foam debacle).

Probably had about 10-20 boards via them at this point. Only recall one time being very disappointed, and that was with the shaper.

Then again, the yellowing doesn't really bug me. If the board works, I'm happy.

Aug 31, 2019
hey all - been reading some of the comments here in regards to QC. my board wont be done until maybe 2 weeks from now. i am going to pick it up down in oceanside. what things should i be looking closely for in terms of qc? i mean i know i can look at board tip to tail, foil, and feel the rails - but is there some close inspection things i should be doing? i never had a custom made and always bought boards off the rack in stock dims.

are the guys at xtr cool enough to measure the board to make sure the dims are correct?

Aug 31, 2019
So I talked to XTR, and they agreed my last board was sanded a little too thin, would you have any advice on how to properly inspect the sand throughs?
did some digging on the web. i would assume to look at the board and make sure you dont see the fiberglass weave as shown in the pic attached. i could be wrong?

Attachments

Jul 5, 2009
now my turn lol : how do you make sure the fin boxes are correct? is eyeing them ok - like just making sure the angles look good? equally spaced?
Thank you, looking back, my board definitely had a lot of that, but at that point I was so over waiting, and wanted to be polite when I picked up the board, definitely was a mistake on my part.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Run hands over the fin boxes , easy to feel dips and high spots .
Futures can have low spots in front of the side fins
Fcs2 tends to have high spots, those have potential sand thu = failures
Bring a set of fins and put em in, look from nose down to the tail. How they tilt out should be the same

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
From my documented issue (that was professionally/courteously resolved by XTR) is also to check where the transition from the rail's softer edge into the hard edge is and that it's the same on both sides, as well as adequately defined.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
From my documented issue (that was professionally/courteously resolved by XTR) is also to check where the transition from the rail's softer edge into the hard edge is and that it's the same on both sides, as well as adequately defined.
Honestly, this is usually the only check I do in front of the shaper. Rest of the time its hold it under the arm and try not to giggle too much in excitement.

Oct 26, 2016
now my turn lol : how do you make sure the fin boxes are correct? is eyeing them ok - like just making sure the angles look good? equally spaced?
I suggest you do what have never been done in erBb history: have a “live” , real-time board evaluation when you pick up supplemented by pics of course. The erBb won’t let you down, I guarantee it

Last edited:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Run hands over the fin boxes , easy to feel dips and high spots .
Futures can have low spots in front of the side fins
Fcs2 tends to have high spots, those have potential sand thu = failures
Bring a set of fins and put em in, look from nose down to the tail. How they tilt out should be the same
I'm writing this down

Reactions: Waterlogged05