XTR

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Good, anyone with purple on their board needs to be shot out of a cannon.
Harsh!

I quite liked the color on my recent gray ~lavender~ epoxies that I got (not through XTR)

Caity Simmers was on some boards with similar coloring on tour earlier this year, I kept wondering if they were gray epoxies or if she ordered purple on purpose :roflmao:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Best/safest color to order from XTR? I already have a gray/purple one so need some other options.
I like their faux resin spray the most. I've had a handful of Albums done that way where the rail gets sprayed a little darker and they always look more finished to me. I've had a bunch of gray/purp w/ gray/purp rails and white boards that yellowed over time also. My last white one is still holding strong but its only 6 months old. Overall though, color is definitely not their strong suit fyi.

1693713477038.png

1693713512141.png

1693713555407.png

1693714021941.png

1693713818795.png

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I like their faux resin spray the most. I've had a handful of Albums done that way where the rail gets sprayed a little darker and they always look more finished to me. I've had a bunch of gray/purp w/ gray/purp rails and white boards that yellowed over time also. My last white one is still holding strong but its only 6 months old. Overall though, color is definitely not their strong suit fyi.
Those look great! Yeah, my Moonstone has the faux resin and it looks nice. What color did you request for the 1st blue fish and the greenish ones?

I guess by "safe" what I'm asking is what colors will come out closest to the color I ask for. I don't like how their new site doesn't have colors on it. Seems sketchy to send them a color and hope they can replicate it. Sticking to basic colors is probably the best bet.

Reactions: j_mac and trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I usually give them a picture to reference. Honestly half the time it doesnt match, but I try. Blue one for example was suppose to be darker like this pic, but is more like swimming pool toy blue. The burnt orange moon and the greenish pin townsend they matched well. I'd find a photo of something you like, link it on the order form, and also explain it to them.

1693749329205.png

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Tell me more about that white one @trifish.

Is that a white faux resin tint?

Looks hawt :facelick:
I had a wild idea and asked them if they could do a white faux resin thinking maybe some sort of white pigment added to the resin might help reduce the yellowing effect. They said I wouldn't really notice a difference from my clears, so I asked them to do a light gray faux. It looked awesome some days in the right lighting. Other days it got the purps and gave some strong lavender vibes
:dancing:

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I didn't know XTR did this... Those are sick! If I had a criticism, it's the xtr rail logo thing... At the very least, they need an alt logo that's less-obnoxious. The hot yellow outline... :foreheadslap:

I actually love that green seaglass tint more than the example. Dope.

View attachment 161917

View attachment 161918

View attachment 161919

View attachment 161921

View attachment 161920

Reactions: Aruka and trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I didn't know XTR did this... Those are sick! If I had a criticism, it's the xtr rail logo thing... At the very least, they need an alt logo that's less-obnoxious. The hot yellow outline... :foreheadslap:

I actually love that green seaglass tint more than the example. Dope.
They offer a different logo placement option now on the bottom between the fin boxes instead of on the rails. The blue one up top and the gray one was done that way. My last Aipa I didn't specify placement and I noticed their rail logo was black/white and didn't have the yellow. They might of just moved to black/white on those now.

Reactions: jkb and SixtyGrit
Jan 13, 2021
Picked this 5'10" up earlier. Didn't go purps this time. Stoked to get it in the water as it feels reaaally good under the calibrated arm. Foiled rails with foam hidden in the middle.

View attachment 149921
I am not familiar with the XTR10 tech and parallel carbon vs a stringered model. Is the consensus that the stringer offers improved durability at the expense of having some flex? Thanks!

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I am not familiar with the XTR10 tech and parallel carbon vs a stringered model. Is the consensus that the stringer offers improved durability at the expense of having some flex? Thanks!
I've always gotten wood stringer boards from them and like the way they feel. They have worked for me very well so I haven't had much urge to switch off them. PC is suppose to have more flex and spring by using carbon directly over the fin boxes. Would be lighter also if glassed the same way. Some guys on here have tried it I believe. Durability wise, my stringered ones with 4+4/4oz glassing have held up great.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
For shortboards I've only had PC from XTR but yeah definitely felt like it sat in the water like a PU/PE but more spring out of turns. I'm very curious to try one of their carbon builds on a shortboard with the 10 foam, especially after seeing ruker rank it has his #1 construction on here

Reactions: trifish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yeah, basically. Stringered should be stiffer, and less likely to snap. More flex/spring with stringerless. Never tried the PC, but I believe they can add more strips for stiffness or heavier rider. Personally, I like the SL-C for small-average wave boars in SoCal. I have had a couple 2nd-hand stringered XTRs and they were good too, but kinda wished they were stringerless.

Reactions: trifish and jkb