XTR

Jan 13, 2021
yeah, basically. Stringered should be stiffer, and less likely to snap. More flex/spring with stringerless. Never tried the PC, but I believe they can add more strips for stiffness or heavier rider. Personally, I like the SL-C for small-average wave boars in SoCal. I have had a couple 2nd-hand stringered XTRs and they were good too, but kinda wished they were stringerless.
Thanks very much for the detailed responses and feedback!

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
My favorite is the SL-CK as well with the high density blue foam stronger running the length, along with the carbon. Haven't tried the newest cabron offering yet tho

Reactions: hellosf and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
For those that have been trying to get ahold of XTR (like me) using the old email address "xtrsales@epoxysurfboards.com" it appears they have a NEW EMAIL ADDRESS on their website. "info@xtrepoxytech.com".

I sent an email to the old one last week and it bounced back about 4 times. So then i went to the website and noticed the new email.

Just wanted to share my findings. Carry on...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Whatever is going on, I hope they get their act together. I like XTR and think they have a good product but man, all these QC issues reported on here really bums me out. Definitely made me hold off any new orders the last couple years.

edit: This video from Bird talking about several "special" stock XTRs he got in the shop kinda makes it sound like Javier is liquidating his biz and moving back to Peru?... Maybe I mis-heard?

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wonder why they took down (or at least I can't find them) stoke borts? There used to be a handful of ones for sale that were either customs with factory errors or true stoke ones.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone know who shapes the XTR Pyzels and if it’s the regular Pyzel team?
I know Pyzel sends them a file to cut. I ordered a P2 from them end of last year. Came out a bit longer than I ordered.
When I emailed them they informed me that was the file that was sent over.
Not sure who finishes the blanks.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Found an old response from Jon Pyzel on this thread: “When you order a board through XTR it gets shaped by my shaper, but after that it goes through Javier and his factory and we don't see it again.”

Looks like Pyzel finishes the blank which XTR cuts. Makes sense considering the factories are five minutes walking distance apart in Oceanside.

Reactions: emmohl80

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I thought the Pyzel's were scrubbed/finished by a guy that used a room at XTR. I thought his name was Manny? I met him once; pompadour styled grey haired Asian gentleman. I believe he was brought up to speed from Jon, but had decades of shaping experience.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Prices on varial pyzels aren't that crazy - and their in-house PU is really good. Not sure why you would go to XTR for one.

Reactions: sdsrfr and JDJ

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
It seems really unlikely to me that XTR would be dissolving after they just put a bunch of money/time into a complete site redesign, promoting the new v10 foam, etc. I wonder if Javi is moving and Shey is taking over or something? Either way I hope they stick around and we get some more info soon.