wsl 2024 schedule

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I think they should replace Sunset with Haleiwa tbh. It's still an absolutely brutal wave to surf, a lot more aesthetically pleasing to the uneducated eye, and actually enjoyable to watch when it's smaller. That or change the judging criteria so guys sit deeper when Sunset is huge.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It’s 1 contest win assuming the other guy gets no points And that it replaces a zero on his counting scores.
Let's do a little math.

Flippy came in at 58,300 points for the regular season. Griff came in at 50,860. A difference of 7,440 points.

If Griff would have won Rio and earned 10,000 points instead of 1,330 points (and Flippy placed the exact same), Griff would have 59,530 over Flippys 58,300.

Not quite running away with it like you've been claiming multiple times in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and urchined

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
No JBAY. Weak. Trestles for the Final? What a joke.

What's crazy is we are all so looking forward to the end of year at Sunset and Pipeline, It'z even more special over the holidays cuz get too watch it on that new giant screen t.v. and make really good grubz and cocktails.now it's just plain boring.Sad!

------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
What's crazy is we are all so looking forward to the end of year at Sunset and Pipeline, It'z even more special over the holidays cuz get too watch it on that new giant screen t.v. and make really good grubz and cocktails.now it's just plain boring.Sad!

------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.
mavs? jaws? pipeat size? yes. everything else? no

Reactions: buttholesurfer

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Let's do a little math.

Flippy came in at 58,300 points for the regular season. Griff came in at 50,860. A difference of 7,440 points.

If Griff would have won Rio and earned 10,000 points instead of 1,330 points (and Flippy placed the exact same), Griff would have 59,530 over Flippys 58,300.

Not quite running away with it like you've been claiming multiple times in this thread.
why didn’t he do that? We can change results all we want but that’s not what the discussion was. Do the math at the end of the year - let’s say lowers was just a regular stop. Could Griffin have caught Filipe with a win? What does that result look like? Could Ethan or Jack or Joao?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
why didn’t he do that? We can change results all we want but that’s not what the discussion was. Do the math at the end of the year - let’s say lowers was just a regular stop. Could Griffin have caught Filipe with a win? What does that result look like? Could Ethan or Jack or Joao?
Yes, he could have.

If Lowers was a regular stop that means the WSL would have dropped their 2 lowest regular season scores instead of just 1.

Flippy would have had 54,980 points before lowers and Griff would have had 49,530. A difference of 5,450.

Griff gets a 1st, adds 10,000 points and comes in with 59,530.

Flippy gets a 17th, adds 1,330 points and comes in with 56,310.

Ethan would also have a chance with a possible 57,815 total.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yes, he could have.

If Lowers was a regular stop that means the WSL would have dropped their 2 lowest regular season scores instead of just 1.

Flippy would have had 54,980 points before lowers and Griff would have had 49,530. A difference of 5,450.

Griff gets a 1st, adds 10,000 points and comes in with 59,530.

Flippy gets a 17th, adds 1,330 points and comes in with 56,310.

Ethan would also have a chance with a possible 57,815 total.
so the big contest at lowers needs griff to win and Filipe to get last to make it happen? I’m not saying impossible, but lol. And even then, you have to add a dropped event to make it work. And even then only 2 guys on the tour have a chance at all.

Super compelling.

I will tell you what could have convinced me Filipe wasn’t the runaway best the past two years - someone actually doing the things you keep posing as hypotheticals. ”if” Grif would have won instead of getting 17th is great but it didn’t actually happen. “if” Kelly won 5 events he’d be champ again too!

Reactions: buttholesurfer

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
so the big contest at lowers needs griff to win and Filipe to get last to make it happen? I’m not saying impossible, but lol. And even then, you have to add a dropped event to make it work. And even then only 2 guys on the tour have a chance at all.

Super compelling.

I will tell you what could have convinced me Filipe wasn’t the runaway best the past two years - someone actually doing the things you keep posing as hypotheticals. ”if” Grif would have won instead of getting 17th is great but it didn’t actually happen. “if” Kelly won 5 events he’d be champ again too!
The deciding contest shouldn’t be held at the trestle in any format. Nothing else matters.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Super compelling.

Yes, let's put hypotheticals aside.

You continue to claim that Flippy dominated the regular season. That's simply wrong. He didn't.

He was 1 win ahead with a 7,440 point lead. That's not dominating. If it required his opponents 2 wins to catch up to him, then yes.....he would have dominated the season.

No matter how many times you claim it, it still won't be true.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The giant statues they put up of his son might have something to do with that?
View attachment 163333
In 2034 after Felipe wins his 12th title, overtaking Kelly's record, this will be his gift back to the San Clemente Community. It will replace the existing parking attendant shack at the top of the Lowers Event Lot.
The prodigal sun returns.