your mom
thoughts? jokes?

2024 WSL Championship Tour Schedule:
  • Banzai Pipeline, Hawaii, USA: January 29 – February 10
  • Sunset Beach, Hawaii, USA: February 12 – 23
  • Peniche, Portugal: March 6 – 16
  • Bells Beach, Victoria, Australia: March 26 – April 5
  • Margaret River, Western Australia, Australia: April 11 – 21
Mid-season Cut: 36-man and 18-woman fields reduced to 24-man and 12-woman fields.
  • Teahupo’o, Tahiti, French Polynesia: May 22 – 31
  • Punta Roca, El Salvador: June 6 – 15
  • Saquarema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: June 22 – 30
  • Cloudbreak, Fiji: August 20 – 29
WSL Final 5 determined to battle for the men’s and women’s World Titles.
WSL Finals (Lower Trestles, San Clemente, Calif., USA): September 6 – 14

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Whole thing is a joke at this stage.
Yep.

Another finals at Trestles? Great.

If a Californian is in the finals, we'll get to watch him ponce around for the crowd pre-heat before getting eliminated by whichever Brazzo or Aussie he surfs against.

Reactions: Havoc

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yep.

Another finals at Trestles? Great.

If a Californian is in the finals, we'll get to watch him ponce around for the crowd pre-heat before getting eliminated by whichever Brazzo or Aussie he surfs against.
If they are going to have an event at Trestles it should be an open event like the old OP Pro with a Trials to Finals format. Let the local kids and old men who tear the place up daily along with QS guys from around the world be in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Trestles. Its the most user friendly wave on the planet to surf. Makes this old guy surf like he's a decade younger. Its just not suitable to decide a world title among the world's best.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If they are going to have an event at Trestles it should be an open event like the old OP Pro with a Trials to Finals format. Let the local kids and old men who tear the place up daily along with QS guys from around the world be in it.

....So they can get smashed by the top 5 in the end? Nah.

All of the criticisms about hosting a "Final", postseason event at Lowers are valid. But opening the venue to everyone else won't change the fact that the top 5 will still dominate in the end. All you will accomplish is hoarding the lineup for the week instead of the day.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There is still no performance left on tour.
RIP JBay. You will be absolutely missed.
The cut is stupid. Just start the tour with the number of guys they have after the cut and maximize the waiting period.

Reactions: Havoc

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
There is still no performance left on tour.
RIP JBay. You will be absolutely missed.
The cut is stupid. Just start the tour with the number of guys they have after the cut and maximize the waiting period.
Yeah, dropping JBay but keeping Squarema and Bells is absurd. Although I guess they had to surf at least one in Brazzo land.

WSL will never get any better.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I actually would not mind the one day final if they did at a more challenging wave.
I agree. Trestles is the easiest wave on the planet to surf. I'd rather see them run the final in Portugal if it can't be at Pipeline. The only thing I like about Trestles as a tour stop is that its a wave that always offers good options regardless of if you are a regular or goofy foot. No way it should decide a champion.

Also, every event takes way too long now and the heats don't have enough action. Then when there is action, it has a strange way of happening during one of those stupid commercial breaks.

Reactions: mundus

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I agree. Trestles is the easiest wave on the planet to surf. I'd rather see them run the final in Portugal if it can't be at Pipeline. The only thing I like about Trestles as a tour stop is that its a wave that always offers good options regardless of if you are a regular or goofy foot. No way it should decide a champion.

Also, every event takes way too long now and the heats don't have enough action. Then when there is action, it has a strange way of happening during one of those stupid commercial breaks.

I hear you, but rolling the dice at a beach break has its own inherent flaws.

Pipe always did and always will make sense. You get somewhat of a crowd and local "establishment" that you can build out, it's friendly to most marketable time zones (I think. Sorry Europe), and it will usually deliver when it's placed at the right time (especially with a limited field). The issues with politics and # of people per heat might be an issue, But not if you overlap the male/female heats :shrug:.

Tahiti won't happen until post Olympics at best. There isn't enough local infrastructure or butts on the island for the shoulder events. Same with Puerto, Glans, and Cloudbreak. WSL wants the industry hanger ons and crowds for Finals Day.

The fact that they looked at Finals Day at Pipe in 2019 with the Medina vs Italo drama and decided their takeaway was, "This is great, let's move it to Trestles" will never make sense to me.

Reactions: mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I hear you, but rolling the dice at a beach break has its own inherent flaws.
I'd take Supertubos or a place like that for the finals any day over Trestles if they are going to do the one-day top five format. Make it a real test of surfing at a place that is challenging while being fair to both goofies and regulars. Pipe fits that bill, as does Portugal and Tavarua.