wsl 2024 schedule

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Bring back the Triple Crown as the season ender. Whomever wins that is crowned the champ.

This is a most excellent idea. Surf the finals at three different venues, all in close proximity to one another.

Plus, given the proximity of the venues, they could surf all three events in quick sequence, once a swell hits.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Agree with this most of the time. Not sure if there's a better split peak skatepark in Indo that's more reliably perfect and less prone to NW crossbump.

Is this really the case? When France is DOH depth charges? Is he good at the Box?

He and Italo are the best at spamming air reverses.

Personally I think Gabriel Medina has Felipe covered in what should be tour conditions, and once it gets triple plus I highly doubt he's even mid-pack.

YMMV
For the past 2 years he’s been 8-10,000 points ahead. I don’t know how you pick apart his results and not do the same for his competitors. If jack or Ethan or JjF or gabby are better all around, why are they so far behind him after a full year of stops? why is a hypothetical comp at triple plus box a great benchmark but actual results from a diverse set of actual tour stops not?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
For the past 2 years he’s been 8-10,000 points ahead. I don’t know how you pick apart his results and not do the same for his competitors. If jack or Ethan or JjF or gabby are better all around, why are they so far behind him after a full year of stops? why is a hypothetical comp at triple plus box a great benchmark but actual results from a diverse set of actual tour stops not?
You are arguing with absolute retards here. They suggest Puerto Escondido, France, Jaws and The Box. Even Mundaka is on the table (works 2 times per year for 3 hours. If the river is cooperating)

JUST SHOW UP WHEN IT'S FIRING, BRO :roflmao:

Why hasn't Skeleton Bay been brought up?

Reactions: Boneroni

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The obvious answer is the waves have sucked the past two years and I haven't seen many WSL heats in triple-o. I think they've gotten away from The Dream Tour. If this was the calendar 2002-2004 IMHO Andy Irons wins 0 titles. YMMV

I was under the impression Gabby has been in the midst of a personal meltdown.

I think The Box is the worst wave they've ever had on tour from a contest perspective, because it's always a massacre of the goofyfoots because of that mid-face ledge. The last time I watched the box, every goofy lost except the two who lucked into deep ones that ran from behind all the way through and didn't require a fade takeoff and ankle-hop over the ledge. Other goofies sat deep for 30 minutes and no deep ones came.

I only brought up The Box because it's a heavy right and maybe Toledo stands tall in pits and so he should get credit for that?

Anyway the reason they are so far behind is because the vast majority of these contests, the whole point is to see who can spam the most air reverses.

Why even bother with Tavarua or Tahiti?

Duranbah
South Straddie
Southern New South Wales beachbreak
The Boom
The best skatepark beachbreak in all of Brazil, wherever it is.
Lakey
Cangu/Keramas
Lowers
New Smyrna
Waco

There you have it. A world tour that will see who is the best at doing air reverses at waves that are complete launch ramps and could easily have four contestable days in these two week windows. I won't have to watch someone frantically pumping for 100 yards before they realize perfect peelers don't have oncoming sections and they just say f--k it and do a glorified chop hop.

Reactions: Boneroni

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Are we live from Ocean Beach in this thread?

The parking lot to be specific. Your beanies are sliding down over your eyes.

45 minute paddle out. Get washed up the beach.

BUT NO AIR REVERSES!!!! Can't even do them. BUT THEY ARE EASY!!!!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You are arguing with absolute retards here. They suggest Puerto Escondido, France, Jaws and The Box. Even Mundaka is on the table (works 2 times per year for 3 hours. If the river is cooperating)

JUST SHOW UP WHEN IT'S FIRING, BRO :roflmao:

Why hasn't Skeleton Bay been brought up?
The surf in France most years smoked El Salvador, Brazil, and Bells.

Are we live from Ocean Beach in this thread?

The parking lot to be specific. Your beanies are sliding down over your eyes.

45 minute paddle out. Get washed up the beach.

BUT NO AIR REVERSES!!!! Can't even do them. BUT THEY ARE EASY!!!!
There were good airs, tubes, and turns in the OB contest. The first time I surfed OB, it was a bit flat-faced for the world tour out the back.

The second time, smaller, there were sections of beach that had a reliable A-frame coming in with a coping the whole way.

I am tired of EVERYTHING being air reverses. Do some tech grabs. Do some board varials. Start scoring other airs higher than just button-mashed air reverses.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
8-10,000 points isn't that much.

10,000 points is 1 contest win.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
And every opportunity to show who is actually the best surfer on a wave that highlights surfing over wave choice and luck.
Wave choice and luck ARE a large part of surfing.

But I’m w you - “pro surfing” should really be exclusively in turd ponds w jet ski assists -that’d get you what you and me what I want-pro surfing to fuggin die already.

• Love
Reactions: ghostshaper

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So many great waves in Chile and Peru. New Zealand too.
My long time friend and SC surf bud moved to NZ, lived on his Gfs family’s property. farmland that fronts multiple insanely fun looking uncrowded breaks.

planning a 2025 trip To check it out, he doesn’t have enough people to surf with lucky bastard :roflmao:

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
It seems that the WSL isn’t that interested in promoting most of their live surfing events. The reason I say this is because I often look at the WSL site, and there is no indication that there is a contest going on until I click on the schedule and find that there is in fact an event (or two) being broadcast live. That makes no sense to me.
Totally agree - I have worked in media for 25+ years and it's beyond me what the Fuck they are doing over there - Wish they would give me a chance to run it. Marketing sucks! Events suck! Commentators suck! and finally the Waves F'n suck. Poor management leads to horrible results - time to clean house at the WSL. I was in the water a few days after the event and overheard 2 WSL employees (don't know them) bragging about the huge villa he was staying at for some event - I so wanted to say something but enjoyed dropping in on them instead.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We've already explained this. We need some proof you can read and surf before you comment further.