wsl 2024 schedule

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Punta Roca as a contest venue is lame. Mostly because I'm selfish and self-centered.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I care less each year. They are just clueless. The VALs are running pro surfing.

Give me Tozza, Bryce, Nate, etc, etc, etc over Flippy and the other spazzy gymnasts any day.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
first mistake is assuming its about surfing.

trestles final is basically a company picnic.

industry sponsors love it. end of northern hemi summer when your average surf plebs stoke is pegged. everbodys tan. looking good oakleys on and ready to take a victory lap. get down and party with the trucker hat hot moms

blow it out before the consumers crawl back to their lives until next spring when the promise of summer waves and babes gets the juices flowing again

i mean a final at pipe? in the winter? who even surfs when its big and scary and out of season anyway

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Great venue. How about Puerto Escondido?
Suprisingly, sometimes you are the voice of reason in a sea of retards. Most of the time, like now, you are an uninformed clown. All the ideas you have put forth in this thread are beyond stupid.

PE has shitious winds througout the day and 1 in 100 waves are good. And I have never even been there.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Suprisingly, sometimes you are the voice of reason in a sea of retards. Most of the time, like now, you are an uninformed clown. All the ideas you have put forth in this thread are beyond stupid.

PE has shitious winds througout the day and 1 in 100 waves are good. And I have never even been there.
What part of a "?" don't you understand? That was not a declarative statement dumbass. It was a question.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Puerto doesn't work.
You can't run a full day.
It's blown out by 10am or earlier. You'd have to run multiple 3 hour days which is bad for TV and undermines the point.
If it's small, it's rippable but still thumpy. I saw Cory Arrambide, of all people, do a backflip, rodeo, thing out there.
But for every hero wave out there, there are many closeouts.

That being said, I have seen some amazing drama in those old QS events there. As well as some absolute skunkings.

For Supertubos, Can you recall a single event there that didn't look awful for at least half of the heats? I get it, there's potential. It gets epic. But Portugal should be a mobile event anyway to take advantage of the Peniche pensinsula.

If you are going to do a Finals Day in Bali, why waste your time anywhere but The Bukit?

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
IMHO Supertubos is not consistently offshore head+ doritos enough.
The WQS at Puerto when it was bombing was awesome spectacle watching people get beaten, disappear, and self-bagel. Basically like Toledo at Teahupo'o but they tried as hard as they could at probably the gnarliest paddle out of the year and probably rates entire life. Might be more contestable under DOH with fewer broken boards and multi set beatings and competitors "getting disappeared" by the waves.

If you are going to do a Finals Day in Bali, why waste your time anywhere but The Bukit?
Because there might be an a-frame with skateparktacular coping/lipline and rampalicious enders?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The title decider at Trestles is a travesty. It's a wave any Joe average has no difficulty surfing with its user friendliness. Pipe has teeth, raw power, drama and unpredictability and consequences when you stuff it up. Never to forget Hawaii is recognised as the birthplace of surfing by surfers. Crown the champ on top of a mountain not a molehill.
Why shouldn’t your world champ be the best at a place like lowers?

All this said, I’d like to see them rotate at the end of the year. Every year at lowers is boring.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Being the best at Lowers is good.

Being the worst at Teahupoo is not good.

I remember one time, a 50/50 call didn't go Brett Simpson's way and you could hear his dad yell in frustration and the commentators called it. That was once.

For a couple years there, Felipe's heats were must-mute because his obnoxious dad would_not_shut_the_fuck_up and there's no WSL events in open carry stand your ground states wherein he could be baited into starting some sh!t and we could all be lawfully granted permanent reprieve from hearing that braying jackass every three seconds.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Being the best at Lowers is good.

Being the worst at Teahupoo is not good.

I remember one time, a 50/50 call didn't go Brett Simpson's way and you could hear his dad yell in frustration and the commentators called it. That was once.

For a couple years there, Felipe's heats were must-mute because his obnoxious dad would_not_shut_the_fuck_up and there's no WSL events in open carry stand your ground states wherein he could be baited into starting some sh!t and we could all be lawfully granted permanent reprieve from hearing that braying jackass every three seconds.
Man, that escalated quickly. And really points out the hypocrisy of "stand your ground"

I remember that year with Brett.
That was an era.
Bretts dad, Charlie Medina, Toledo's dad, Julian's brother, Kolohe's dad, Conner's coach..... Everyone had something to say.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Man, that escalated quickly. And really points out the hypocrisy of "stand your ground"

I remember that year with Brett.
That was an era.
Bretts dad, Charlie Medina, Toledo's dad, Julian's brother, Kolohe's dad, Conner's coach..... Everyone had something to say.
I think it was the year Brett kept getting seeded against Parkinson.

I heard Brett's dad once. Charlie at the time seemed like he was doing right by Gabriel and I didn't have to constantly hear him. The rest, I don't really remember hearing them.

Felipe Toledo's dad was like a horn in a shipping lane on a foggy day.

Reactions: Boneroni

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Why shouldn’t your world champ be the best at a place like lowers?
I sincerely hope you are kidding. The only thing challenging about Lowers is the crowd. I have an idea........On finals day the competitors have to go out and scrap with the regular crowd at Lowers during their heats. Make negotiating the crowd part of the judging criterion. :ROFLMAO: I love Lowers but that being said it is not appropriate to crown a world champ there with the current format.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I think also Pipeline should be the final wave. Because it is the final wave :)

*insert some blown out by noon, tide affected, inconsistent shitbreak suggestion here*

Grommy: What about Mundaka :unsure:

:roflmao:

Reactions: buttholesurfer