Why's Everything So Expensive?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The term thrown around right now is "transitory" like I said before.
Uh, somehow the word "transitory" wasn't used here:

"The researchers found that the economic models that were supported by left-leaning funders or that were done by academics found slightly larger net savings. But analyses supported by more conservative funders or performed outside of academia still predicted single-payer systems would yield savings.
Physicians are not economists.
Economists are not physicians.

Therefore you're never going to get an accurate answer to "How can we provide the same level of healthcare we have now under a single payer system?"

Raising the wage on restaurant workers has a very small impact in overall costs for the products.

By Lina Moe, James Parrott, and Yannet Lathrop
"This is the first assessment of restaurant employment and earnings over the entire period of New York City’s historic minimum wage increases, 2013-18. Contrary to fears of massive job losses, $20 Big Macs, and shuttered restaurants, we found a thriving industry.

The New York State minimum wage rose in phases from $7.25 an hour at the end of 2013 to $13.50 during 2018. During this period, New York City has seen a strong economic expansion of the restaurant industry, outpacing national growth in employment, annual wages, and the number of both limited- and full-service restaurant establishments. The restaurant industry has the highest proportion of workers affected by the minimum wage of any major industry.

Compared to 12 large cities around the country that did not have any minimum wage increases from 2013-18, New York City’s restaurants generally have seen stronger job growth. New York City’s experience is consistent with the latest research focusing on the food services industry in large cities where there have been large minimum wage increases—no negative employment effects and sizable average wage gains for restaurant workers.

This report does not suggest that New York City’s sharp minimum wage increase caused restaurant employment to soar—the more rapid restaurant employment gains likely are due to the city’s faster private job growth. But the research presented here clearly shows that the large wage floor rise did not diminish various indicators of restaurant performance, including job growth.

New York’s rising minimum wage has tremendously benefitted low-wage workers, including those in both the full-service and limited-service categories. New York City workers in the lowest-paid three deciles of the wage distribution had inflation-adjusted wage gains of 8.5 to 15 percent since 2013 (the largest wage gains for these workers in the last 50 years). Wage gains among restaurant workers have been even stronger, with 2013-18 real wage increases averaging 15-23 percent for full-service and 26-30 percent for limited-service restaurant workers. "

-Source: http://www.centernyc.org/new-york-citys-15-minimum-wage
Instead they do stuff like shorten the hours they're open.

Some restaurants here only staying open 3 hours in the evening at this point.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm sorry but this kinda stuff makes me laugh.

Any economic textbook will tell you,

A forced increase in wages means the additional money has to come from somewhere. The small business owner still has to pay rent on his dingy two bedroom apartment and he's got a growing 12 year old who needs new clothes every 6 months and cleans out the refrigerator weekly. Oh, and his daughter needs money for her class trip and new soccer cleats.

He's not going to let his family be the loser.

The loser will either be the employee or the customer.

In the case of a restaurant, a shortcut on the ingredients, or shortening the time spent open, smaller portions, etc.

Someone is going to have to take the hit.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am of the school of thought that it's transitory due to a supply chain cut way back, getting slammed by a sudden spike in demand driven byCovid gettting its ass kicked by peple getting vaccinated.

I don't think pumping $$ into the system is the cause of our current inflation spike but to be prudent we ought to hold off on any further stimulative measures.

Remember when several posters here were predicting the next great depression in 2021?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I am of the school of thought that it's transitory due to a supply chain cut way back, getting slammed by a sudden spike in demand driven byCovid gettting its ass kicked by peple getting vaccinated.

I don't think pumping $$ into the system is the cause of our current inflation spike but to be prudent we ought to hold off on any further stimulative measures.
Pumping is part of it, along with the other things you mentioned, as well as trade relations.

Remember when several posters here were predicting the next great depression in 2021?
I believe that was one of Obama's top economic advisors, Nouriel Roubini, who predicted that.

But there was a date stamped on those predictions?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Speaking of vans...they redid their skate line and people are pissed they are super stiff now and have issues. I figured they would keep the authentics like when they had the "authentic" and "pro" lines.
couldn't find the authentics on their site rn
WTF, if it aint broke dont fix it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

It's amazing how effective elite propaganda is.
no not shoes.
vehicles.
seems Amazon biz model eats and digests the local infrastructure meaning
saturation traffic meaning scads of barely identifiable vans.
:bricks:
Amazon eats everything. Om nom nom. Boomers love Amazon. Boomers love to eat. 'Mericans love to eat. Om nom nom.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Most people don't understand how big Amazon is outside of their eCommerce website.

Amazon employs 1,298,000 full- and part-time employees.

Only Walmart (2.2m) and China National Petroleum (1.3m) have more employees.

Amazon has acquired more than 100 companies.

Amazon has over 40 subsidiaries.

They have significant footholds in the following industries, among others

Pharma
Insurance
Web
Analytics
Land, Sea, and Air Shipping
Banking
Entertainment

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
You forgot they're a paywall site for Jack Ma, and that Jeff Bezos is totally and irrevocably on 'his' rice dyck!

:dancing: Amazon. I did, and live all the better for it.

If on a rock in the middle of the ocean, one can survive perfectly well w/out amazon/alibaba.... Why can't all you who can just walk/drive down the road and be actually in stores?

:socrazy::poke::loser::foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If on a rock in the middle of the ocean, one can survive perfectly well w/out amazon/alibaba.... Why can't all you who can just walk/drive down the road and be actually in stores?
My quality of life is much better not having to go shopping in person. Driving, parking, not finding what I want and having to go to another store, having to drive to the bigger town because the prices are high and the selection sucks at the local stores, etc is all a huge waste of time. I remember as a kid having to go shopping for clothes with my Mom and get dragged around on all her lame errands. Why do that if you don’t have to?!

And I’m not someone who buys a lot of things. Most of what I buy online are basic household necessities/consumables. Groceries I mostly buy in person but once that becomes established and the shoppers no how to spot a good rib eye with a big fat cap I have no problem forgoing that either.

Older generations have this thing with thinking there’s inherent virtue in doing things the harder way when there is an easier solution that produces better results :unsure:

That said, I agree that it doesn’t have to be Amazon or Baba.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
My quality of life is much better not having to go shopping in person. Driving, parking, not finding what I want and having to go to another store, having to drive to the bigger town because the prices are high and the selection sucks at the local stores, etc i
indeed, makes life that much easier. you can search for virtually most any products available and have them sent to your doorstep. don't like what you received? send it back in the same packaging it came in for little to no cost at your convenience. I would never have groceries delivered though, prefer to pick and choose through the selection

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Agreed on groceries. I don’t trust them to pick out a good steak, find bulbs of garlic with big cloves instead of a bunch of little ones, etc but for pantry and household items no problem.

Plus the brand selection that you would never see otherwise.

Not shopping for most things online is like insisting on digging a swimming pool with a shovel when you can use a backhoe, except in this metaphor the backhoe is cheaper :foreheadslap: :roflmao:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
This is what happens when people are forced to save money for 15 months.

Most people just spend spend spend because their lives are just devoid of meaningful activities. Bored? Get on the car and go to the outdoor big box mall and blow $150 on shitty lunch for the family and a few hundy more on clothes you don't need.

Extrapolate thousands of needless consumer spending per month into savings, and voila!

We're lucky that we can surf, cycle, hike, etc for our mental health. That's free fun.

People haven't changed, they still can't wait to spend money and get that little dopamine buzz. Hence inflation right now.

This is NOT the time to buy a house, that's for sure, and yet people are panic buying like they'll be homeless if they can't drop $1 million on a stick frame mini-mc-mansion in the suburbs. WTF?

Amazon for us is a bit of a necessary evil -- we go through a lot of household stuff and computer cables etc with two useless teenagers, but if I had my way I'd never use it.

I am hoping this will pass as I'd kind of like to move back to the US in 3-4 years. My mom's getting older and at some point she won't be independent. Would love to buy a house but hate hate hate to buy at the top of the market. We did that about 15 years ago, just before the crash, and I think I lost about 5 years off my life worrying whether I'd still be employed so we could pay the mortgage nut.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I'm sorry but this kinda stuff makes me laugh.

Any economic textbook will tell you,

A forced increase in wages means the additional money has to come from somewhere. The small business owner still has to pay rent on his dingy two bedroom apartment and he's got a growing 12 year old who needs new clothes every 6 months and cleans out the refrigerator weekly. Oh, and his daughter needs money for her class trip and new soccer cleats.

He's not going to let his family be the loser.

The loser will either be the employee or the customer.

In the case of a restaurant, a shortcut on the ingredients, or shortening the time spent open, smaller portions, etc.

Someone is going to have to take the hit.
Cute anecdote, but simplistic thinking doesn't invalidate two studies done by reputable sources. Economics tends to be more complicated than changing A causes B.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Amazon for us is a bit of a necessary evil -- we go through a lot of household stuff and computer cables etc with two useless teenagers, but if I had my way I'd never use it
No way man- driving through traffic to target and radio shack where you paid $60 for a cable that now costs $9 was way better because . . . . Because . . . . Get off my lawn, that’s why!!!
:foreheadslap: :roflmao:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
No way man- driving through traffic to target and radio shack where you paid $60 for a cable that now costs $9 was way better because . . . . Because . . . . Get off my lawn, that’s why!!!
:foreheadslap: :roflmao:
all your $ go to Choyna anyway, just a different funnel to send it down :toilet:

Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
indeed, makes life that much easier. you can search for virtually most any products available and have them sent to your doorstep. don't like what you received? send it back in the same packaging it came in for little to no cost at your convenience. I would never have groceries delivered though, prefer to pick and choose through the selection
guess the carbon footprint of all that shipping back and forth isn't a factor then, especially for the returns.

also, why do da yutes deez dayz hate local businesses so much?

not criticism, seriously interested to know...

I have been trying to focus on the following for my purchases, only things not available locally will be bought elsewhere.

Only things here are lumber, vehicles, boats, etc...

Even my entire quiver is locally manufactured, except for the Andreini i brought and a Bonzer, same same.

Just curious, if it's doable on an island, I'd like to think it's all that much more doable on a continent.

:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars