Why's Everything So Expensive?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I never buy factory farmed meat so I always spend a fortune.

Go to a chicken processing plant and you won't want to eat chicken anymore.
i worked at one once in Delaware building liners.
We built a pond that had a couple acres of chicken guts.
:sick:

Reactions: Autoprax

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i dont buy raw lumber but locally I havent noticed things getting more expensive....amd Im jewish - so believe id notice.

Groceries seem the same to me.

7-10 bucks for a pack of organic thin sliced chicken breast - same as it ever was.

Fruit and veggies - same as it ever was. 59 cents per/lb for organic banannas. 2 bucks a pound for grapes. 1.50 for a pound of apples.

Gas is the only thing ive been like woah - this is expensive.

Maybe it depends what youre shopping for but my dietary needs havent been hit by inflation just yet.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why? Because, inflation will inflate whenever it can.

Forget about inflation, now shrinkation is coming.

If you were born after the 50's, inflation is a fact of life.

Shrinkation, get less, pay more.

This is the "new normal".

Reactions: Waterlogged05

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i dont buy raw lumber but locally I havent noticed things getting more expensive....amd Im jewish - so believe id notice.

Groceries seem the same to me.

7-10 bucks for a pack of organic thin sliced chicken breast - same as it ever was.

Fruit and veggies - same as it ever was. 59 cents per/lb for organic banannas. 2 bucks a pound for grapes. 1.50 for a pound of apples.

Gas is the only thing ive been like woah - this is expensive.

Maybe it depends what youre shopping for but my dietary needs havent been hit by inflation just yet.
Beef has gone up noticeably, although that requires a lot of feed, transportation, and energy on the backend for drying and cooling which could easily be explained by covid induced supply chain interruptions. Otherwise I agree that most stuff has not gone up dramatically, however I do think stuff has been creeping up incrementally over the last few years.

Reactions: CutnSnip

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Beef has gone up noticeably, although that requires a lot of feed, transportation, and energy on the backend for drying and cooling which could easily be explained by covid induced supply chain interruptions. Otherwise I agree that most stuff has not gone up dramatically, however I do think stuff has been creeping up incrementally over the last few years.
Beef (not ground) should be bought from the clearance section whenever possible.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Most restaurants have increased prices , especially breakfast places. $15 brekkie burritos at shatty azz diners.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This is called inflation
Well yeah, of course, but I like the idea of the rate of wage increase being higher than the rate of cost increases, which in turn increases purchasing power across the board. And gee, if more people have money to spend, that helps everyone, doesn't it? Bezos, Zuckerman, and their wives can't do ALL the shopping; this is America, damn it, we need to spread materialism and conspicuous consumption across the board.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Well yeah, of course, but I like the idea of the rate of wage increase being higher than the rate of cost increases, which in turn increases purchasing power across the board. And gee, if more people have money to spend, that helps everyone, doesn't it? Bezos, Zuckerman, and their wives can't do ALL the shopping; this is America, damn it, we need to spread materialism and conspicuous consumption across the board.
what is monetary velocity Alex

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You forgot the part about most small businesses run on thin margins and their owners aren't making out like bandits.

Therefore wage increases are an issue for them.
Somebody will have to eat the cost.

The business owner? The employee (lost hours, automation)? The consumer?

It's not big corporations that are getting f*cked as much, it's the little guys.