Why's Everything So Expensive?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Cute anecdote, but simplistic thinking doesn't invalidate two studies done by reputable sources. Economics tends to be more complicated than changing A causes B.
That's not an anecdote.

Models are not perfect. But there's decades and decades of data and research backing what I'm telling you, and it's one thing most economists pretty much agree on.

Here's probably the most recent, from just a few days ago.

Have you ever owned a small business or taken any college courses in economics?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
guess the carbon footprint of all that shipping back and forth isn't a factor then, especially for the returns.
I think this is debatable. Might be better to have a single UPS truck on a given route delivering packages to all of the homes along the way as opposed to everyone in all those houses driving to the mall. However you certainly have to factor in the additional packaging, and there are definitely more dumb impulse purchases when it’s “that easy” :foreheadslap: :roflmao:

also, why do da yutes deez dayz hate local businesses so much?
I love them. The money I save not buying a $70 dollar laptop charger from Worst Buy because my dog chewed it up the one it came with allows me to spend more at local businesses that actually produce something unique and valuable. Most of my purchases these days are replacing basic things that are not luxuries long after their expiration date.

Plus last time I checked there were no artisan USB cables, but I’m sure if Greg Griffin made one it would be the fastest charger ever. Especially if it was red.

not criticism, seriously interested to know...

I have been trying to focus on the following for my purchases, only things not available locally will be bought elsewhere.

Only things here are lumber, vehicles, boats, etc...
I think this is a worthwhile goal, but sometimes I want something very specific that I know works the best for me, so I’m going to buy that from the place that requires the lowest cost (ie time, effort and price combo) on my part.

Just curious, if it's doable on an island, I'd like to think it's all that much more doable on a continent
Of course it’s doable, but why not get more for your money, especially if what’s available and affordable locally is still mass produced crap :shrug:

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
That's not an anecdote.
Your post was literally a made-up example about some small business owner and their soccer-playing kids. anecdote

Have you ever owned a small business or taken any college courses in economics?
Had to take a few to get my BS in Economics yeah.

The article you linked was good, so good in fact that it actually recommended implementing "fair workweek laws" that a number of states already have to address the stated issue.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Purely anecdotal, but of the people I know who work retail/restaurants/coffee: 20% of them learned to make money online during pandemic (onlyfans, ebay, dropshipping), 30% of them went back to school (online), 30% of them started working essential businesses (post office, construction, library, real estate) and only 20% of them went back to retail/restaurant work when it opened back up.

Maybe there's nobody to work cause less people want to go back to those jobs after finding other ways to make money.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
"From 2000 to 2005 there was 13.4 % inflation
From 2005 to 2010 there was 11.7 % inflation
From 2010 to 2015 there was 8.7% inflation.
From 2015 to 2020 there was 9.2% inflation.
So there hasn't been that high inflation lately. Especially 2018 and 2019 where the inflation was 1.8% and 1.2% respectively.
So when 2020 had an inflation of 3.2%, mostly due to large stimulus, I don't find it that alarming, since the last 10 years the inflation has been low, and 2018 and 2019 in particular has been low
Sure. If we see a huge increase in 2021 that might be cause for worry, but if the inflation for all of 2021 lands under 3% I think we can be safe.
I think most of the scare comes from that the April inflation was 4.2% (comparing 2020 to 2021), and is the latest month we have data for.
But then again, the inflation for April 2020 was 0.3%, the second lowest of the year after may 2020 (0.1%), so a big uptick is warranted.
It's just scaremongering."

like I said before it will be awhile before supply can match demand with the covid situation
Yes, there will be some inflation but we have had historically low inflation so this isn't an end of days situation
Inflation is compounded. Even a little is actually a lot.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm sorry but this kinda stuff makes me laugh.

Any economic textbook will tell you,

A forced increase in wages means the additional money has to come from somewhere. The small business owner still has to pay rent on his dingy two bedroom apartment and he's got a growing 12 year old who needs new clothes every 6 months and cleans out the refrigerator weekly. Oh, and his daughter needs money for her class trip and new soccer cleats.

He's not going to let his family be the loser.

The loser will either be the employee or the customer.

In the case of a restaurant, a shortcut on the ingredients, or shortening the time spent open, smaller portions, etc.

Someone is going to have to take the hit.
Workers via automation. The scale of what’s happening today is going to guarantee >10% unemployment going forward.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Sigh.

some jobs will go away, others will be created.
White collar and tech jobs created.....transitional and service employee jobs automated. sigh.

McDonald's drive through worker was never intended to be a middle class career. It was employment for high school and college kids where they could learn things like showing up on time, work ethic, how to pay taxes and balance a checkbook. With the drive to make these jobs careers...you will destroy them and make them automated. Every grocery store in America today employs less workers than they did a decade ago.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Every grocery store in America today employs less workers than they did a decade ago.
And yet, pre-covid, we had the lowest levels of unemployment in history.

When the automobile came along the business of horse transportation and all it’s related industries (saddle makers, black smiths, sh!t cleaners, feed lots….) all disappeared virtually over night.

as long as people need money there will be jobs.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

When the automobile came along the business of horse transportation and all it’s related industries (saddle makers, black smiths, sh!t cleaners, feed lots….) all disappeared virtually over night.

And as long as Americans don’t want to do the shitwork jobs there will be illegal immigration and more people living the homeless lifestyle.

I’ve asked this before, those of you that have high school age kids, are they employed?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
And as long as Americans don’t want to do the shitwork jobs there will be illegal immigration and more people living the homeless lifestyle.

I’ve asked this before, those of you that have high school age kids, are they employed?
My son is 16 and he just interviewed for a job at a movie theater. Likely he gets it.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Oh, you mean learn to code? How many coal workers wound up with high paying tech jobs recently? There has to be a number somewhere.

We measure unemployment differently today. We exclude people who have given up from the numbers……but before you finish your victory lap, many of those jobs aren’t coming back either. Slow Joe has already shipped them back overseas or killed them through executive order. The infrastructure bill will help but like every federal funded project, not as much as it could due to the incredible skim before the money gets to work.

During the automotive revolution America was growing and we were at the leading edge on innovation in everything. This innovation period was leading job creation and not developed specifically to kill it.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Oh, you mean learn to code? How many coal workers wound up with high paying tech jobs recently? There has to be a number somewhere.

We measure unemployment differently today. We exclude people who have given up from the numbers……but before you finish your victory lap, many of those jobs aren’t coming back either. Slow Joe has already shipped them back overseas or killed them through executive order. The infrastructure bill will help but like every federal funded project, not as much as it could due to the incredible skim before the money gets to work.

During the automotive revolution America was growing and we were at the leading edge on innovation in everything. This innovation period was leading job creation and not developed specifically to kill it.
There aren't going to be any good paying jobs. We were whipped off the farms into the cities to work in manufacturing. Aside from Henry Ford, most industrialists wanted to pay nothing for mfg labor. Then the manufacturing and now R&D were sent overseas and we're "post-industrial." Of those jobs that remain, you're in competition with a lot of foreign labor for tech jobs on the high-end and carpentry and other trades on the low-end. Bureau of Labor and Statistics data show that wages haven't risen for the bottom 3/5ths of the labor pool since the 90s. Welfare seems to pay better.

The job of the future is probably the one you create for yourself if you're allowed.

*sigh* Mods, this has turned political. I'm in an empty parking lot crying while listening to my '90s doomer emo playlist as I write this.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There aren't going to be any good paying jobs. We were whipped off the farms into the cities to work in manufacturing. Aside from Henry Ford, most industrialists wanted to pay nothing for mfg labor. Then the manufacturing and now R&D were sent overseas and we're "post-industrial." Of those jobs that remain, you're in competition with a lot of foreign labor for tech jobs on the high-end and carpentry and other trades on the low-end. Bureau of Labor and Statistics data show that wages haven't risen for the bottom 3/5ths of the labor pool since the 90s. Welfare seems to pay better.

The job of the future is probably the one you create for yourself if you're allowed.

*sigh* Mods, this has turned political. I'm in an empty parking lot crying while listening to my '90s doomer emo playlist as I write this.
Ponto. Amirite?

If it would make you feel better go home and strangle a couple of rabbits. Then check Grandview.

The coding comparison is valid.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Both my kids work in food service. High school/college jobs. My son drove Doordash in Honolulu his first semester of college. They don't love it, but it's good for them.

There will always be jobs, the kinds of technology we invent and adopt will have a huge effect on what kind, and whether or not one can survive off them

The problem of the future (one of them) will be deciding how to organize a society where there is actually quite a bit less work to do

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
All my high school jobs involved weed and alcohol.

I remember being a boy box totally stoned.

I used to have to hustle too.

I remember getting totally drunk at my restaurant jobs after work.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The problem of the future (one of them) will be deciding how to organize a society where there is actually quite a bit less work to do
This relates to an idea I have that we move further rural from the cities. It's not a cycle of city to suburb and back, it's city to suburb and more rural. Tech put everything at our finger tips, no need to live in the city unless you really want to.

We've disrupted anthropology.

Reactions: Boneroni