Who's working? Who's not?

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
I am a radiologist. I am mostly working at home now, but once or twice a week we have to work in the hospital. We also have to go to the the hospital when on call for emergency procedures. The radiology techs are really on the front line and are heroes in my book. Also, the ED, NICU, PICU, and all the frontline docs nurses as well as the countless support staff who help us out are the soldiers in this virus war, who are all scared but go in everyday and do the job. Thanks

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I am a radiologist. I am mostly working at home now, but once or twice a week we have to work in the hospital. We also have to go to the the hospital when on call for emergency procedures. The radiology techs are really on the front line and are heroes in my book. Also, the ED, NICU, PICU, and all the frontline docs nurses as well as the countless support staff who help us out are the soldiers in this virus war, who are all scared but go in everyday and do the job. Thanks
you forgot "please correlate clinically"

Reactions: tacos

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Every day we are getting more and more stricter limitations on how we can access our work. A lot of employees still opt to receive paper checks. Need to have access to a special check printer with MICR toner, special laser check stock that needs to be kept under lock and key, a folder sealer, ect.

They want people to continue staying in a paid status but then they don't allow us the access to the necessary tools to achieve it. I have special dispensation to go into our office tomorrow for a maximum of three hours. Just hope that everything necessary goes smoothly without a hitch.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The other thing starting to happen is the district is starting to mess with faculty members current assignments. Looks like a lot of reductions/cancellations are coming down the pipeline.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Every day we are getting more and more stricter limitations on how we can access our work. A lot of employees still opt to receive paper checks. Need to have access to a special check printer with MICR toner, special laser check stock that needs to be kept under lock and key, a folder sealer, ect.

They want people to continue staying in a paid status but then they don't allow us the access to the necessary tools to achieve it. I have special dispensation to go into our office tomorrow for a maximum of three hours. Just hope that everything necessary goes smoothly without a hitch.
Question for you
being in the electronic payments and financial products business, I never understood the continued need for the physical check versus direct deposit which is faster and safer. Every check out there is a vector for identity theft and loss to a companies disbursement or payroll account. Which is a real honey pot for the criminals. Right now it's also a vector to pass the pathogen on. From issuer to receiver or from receiver to payor. Seems everything humans have created for their day to day lives created highways for pathogens like covid19 to spread

Leaverite what are you hearing as why?

I've heard it's because the wage earner wants to take a cut before they pass their earnings to the spouse or because they don't have an account. Over here the older service workers used to like to cash out and hide the money in their mattresses because they didn't trust banks from their experiences with institutions in their home country.
I wouldn't blame then as I don't like online banking and I don't own a debit card because i have to deal with the negative impacts from the poor handling of those conveniences everyday.

And by the way, attacks are way up the other virtual virus(es) out their are running rampant as well trying to take advantage of the distracted public. Ransomware attacks took down one major payments hub last week and most online systems are getting hit pretty massively with DDOS and other attempts to penetrate them while everyone;s attention is focused elsewhere.

As everyone moves to become virtual please be aware that BEC Business Email Compromise is number one financial loss source other than the old check fraud. Always followup with your employee or vendors or banks by phone via call back if you get a request to change info or provide info via email or phone. Make sure all your business associates have their radar up for things other than physical exposure. You don't want the virtual exposure to take from you what ever you have left.

sorry, just a PSM on what we're seeing behind the curtain

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Question for you
being in the electronic payments and financial products business, I never understood the continued need for the physical check versus direct deposit which is faster and safer.

I wouldn't blame then as I don't like online banking and I don't own a debit card because i have to deal with the negative impacts from the poor handling of those conveniences everyday.
Nice post.

I certainly do like direct deposit, but I also like having a physical paper printout. Can't we do both direct deposit and get a printout? I track the income and expenses for my wife's consultancy, and it sure is a lot easier for me when she hands me the non-negotiable paystub.

Oneula, you work with high level people, no need for them to get a physical check. If you're like me, lot's of the Bros you know are more paycheck to paycheck. For some, It's probably straight to the check cashing place. I've been hearing a radio commercial lately for "Alto Cash" in Tijuana.

From the customer satisfaction standpoint, they don't give a @#% if it's a pain in the butt for you. They want their check in paper form. I hate this, but the reality is the customer is always right, and without them we have no job. In some perspective, all that hassle with locks and special ink is job security. Just say to yourself, "I can't believe how much I'm getting paid to do this BS."

Here's my position. I'm lazy, and don't want to bother with yet ANOTHER account and password and personal questions like "What is your favorite cartoon character" just to see how much I have paid in taxes so far this year. Please, just make it simple, give me some paper that I can read at my leisure to track my vacation accrual and such.

Back on original topic:
I do software. Working mostly interfacing with physical hardware, things like sensors, motors, or perhaps the type of output that SurfDog creates. I also dabble in custom WordPress themes and hosting.

I'm currently in between positions, and have been messing around learning Bluetooth from both sides. Other than that lot's of gardening, i.e. weeding.

Reactions: Leaverite

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
LAUSD. We just got detailed instructions, including a daily schedule which we must follow to conference call our lessons, be available for "office hours" and participate, virtually, in professional development and common planning. My care free days are done. I'm kind of stressed about this because it is all new. As an art teacher 80% of my instruction happens one on one, once the students start working. Don't see that happening. Also, I am not allowed to require use of any media other than what they have. Meaning pencil drawings it is. Not that that is a limitation...

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
my last few days have been a crash course in learning google classroom, I have been anti google over the years for my school stuff, but last year they killed my old teacher website so this school year i made a google site. now over the last few days i have been trying to figure out and set up 5 google classrooms, emailed 170 students and parents, answered 75 email questions about said classrooms and assignments.
before that i have been working in my yard a lot since they shut down our schools, 3 - 8 hours a day, planted some fruit trees, weeded out and planted several little gardens around the yard, trimmed up my palms, built some stone pathways, my yard is gonna be dialed in if I live through this. we've been walking 3-5 miles each day with the kids and now they have a bunch of school stuff to keep up with. just staying busy and not watching the news.

my wife and kid still haven't heard anything from their employees about if and when they go back to work.

also its been 6 days since my brother in law was tested for Covid 19 and still no results. that is crazy, since then my sister in law and niece have both been through a minor fever and sore throat and are already feeling better. would be nice for them to know.

i will tell you who is the happiest about all this. my dogs love this shelter in place! They are having the best time ever, walks every day, somebody is home all the time. they haven't dug a whole in the yard for 2 weeks!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I got the email yesterday.

Distance Learning until end of April, or until we hear otherwise from the county.
We've been given guidelines on how we should conduct a class online and we've been given a schedule so that students don't have overlapping class times. The part that I can't figure out is the line that says "grades cannot drop below what they were on March 13th.''

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Question for you
being in the electronic payments and financial products business, I never understood the continued need for the physical check versus direct deposit which is faster and safer.

what are you hearing as why?
In addition to other reasons given, some people just don't believe in banks and one has to have a bank/credit union account to have DD, no? Especially the lower end of the economic spectrum. Banks charge fees if your account doesn't maintain a certain balance. This fee is essentially a poor tax.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In addition to other reasons given, some people just don't believe in banks and one has to have a bank/credit union account to have DD, no? Especially the lower end of the economic spectrum. Banks charge fees if your account doesn't maintain a certain balance. This fee is essentially a poor tax.
Agreed, although its pretty easy to find a no fee credit union checking account. Why people still bank with BOA, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc is beyond me.