Who's working? Who's not?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Also my surgeon said out of several hundred ops, my ear was the worst she had ever seen. Ear drum had even been punctured (for who knows how long) by one of the several exosteses closing my right ear canal.

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Good luck, subway. Wife’s whole side of the family is in the metro NY region, including my brother-in-law who’s a paramedic in Nassau County. Scary times.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Word, but we will get through it. Best wishes to you and yours. Like I said, let’s be over cautious, shut my biz down a couple months, I can still afford to live and do my humble part in shopping locally etc. short term unemployment gonna be brutal. Already talking to out of work neighbors about decently paid odd jobs I can offer short term anyway. we Have some unions tradesman still taking the train to work. Virtually every trade falls under the exemption. Even our installers. Work is spaced out, plenty of personal space, and they want the work. I gotta sell to keep our guys working and getting paid

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Our family have food stalls at local markets and the markets have been cancelled. We have a cafe which is in a town 25 mins away that has Qld's largest market twice a week. Other days the small town is so quiet its not worth opening any way but as of today restrictions for cafes are only take away to be sold. With the town being quiet anyway we will have a go at opening for take away for local traffic. We will also try putting our food stall along with a donut stall outside a local motorcycle shop in the evenings when they close. Hopefully we can get enough passing traffic to get us by.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I run the behind the scenes operations that moves money from here to there usually billions and billions a year. After 40 years of doing this I've been able to become somewhat of a local industry guru in this space for many decades now.
My team makes sure you get paid, rent and mortgages get collected, taxes get collected and paid and all the medical insurance payments go out from your employers to the insurers. I make sure your grandparents and parents get their social security or medicare/medicaid and you get your tax refunds. I get to see where all the money goes in and out of the state and sometimes its disheartening to be able to see behind a curtain no ones else is allowed to pass.
We also supply companies and governments of all size the kinds of electronic tools they need to disburse and collect the funds or "juice" that runs their business and the economy.
So no matter how bad the situation is we have keep things going or it all falls apart and becomes what you see in the movies and we understand that that's what we signed up for. Where we work is physically designed like a fortress to survive natural disasters but not pandemics. Working at home is not an option as we are the home base for everyone to call in to that's currently working from home.
I admire the medical folks, and food providers as we're dealing with the panic but it's virtually and not face to face.

We'll get thru this, but the human, economic and social damage is still in question.

One thing for sure though, things will not be the same when it does
Society and how we do things will be altered forever

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I run the behind the scenes operations that moves money from here to there usually billions and billions a year. After 40 years of doing this I've been able to become somewhat of a local industry guru in this space for many decades now.
My team makes sure you get paid, rent and mortgages get collected, taxes get collected and paid and all the medical insurance payments go out from your employers to the insurers. I make sure your grandparents and parents get their social security or medicare/medicaid and you get your tax refunds. I get to see where all the money goes in and out of the state and sometimes its disheartening to be able to see behind a curtain no ones else is allowed to pass.
We also supply companies and governments of all size the kinds of electronic tools they need to disburse and collect the funds or "juice" that runs their business and the economy.
So no matter how bad the situation is we have keep things going or it all falls apart and becomes what you see in the movies and we understand that that's what we signed up for. Where we work is physically designed like a fortress to survive natural disasters but not pandemics. Working at home is not an option as we are the home base for everyone to call in to that's currently working from home.
I admire the medical folks, and food providers as we're dealing with the panic but it's virtually and not face to face.

We'll get thru this, but the human, economic and social damage is still in question.

One thing for sure though, things will not be the same when it does
Society and how we do things will be altered forever
Thank you for your service. I friggin hate writing checks, luckily online bill pay has been around through most of my "adult" life.

Still blows my mind that I can go to just about any country in the world, stick a piece of plastic into a machine, and get cash out. We've come along way since carrying a satchel of gold bullion, or even AMEX travelers checks for that matter.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
A lot of teachers on the erbb. I'm a high school teacher at a private school. Zoom teaching 9th and 11th graders. Wife is also an educator on the admin side now. With a two year old at home, we are definitely not as productive as we are expected to be. I doubt we'll return to school this year. We are lucky to have job security at a time like this.

Reactions: JBerry

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
A lot of teachers on the erbb. I'm a high school teacher at a private school. Zoom teaching 9th and 11th graders. Wife is also an educator on the admin side now. With a two year old at home, we are definitely not as productive as we are expected to be. I doubt we'll return to school this year. We are lucky to have job security at a time like this.
My Mom (born 1931) said her (my) family survived the great depression because
her father had a job.

Reactions: bluengreen

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I work from home anyway. The difference is that I won't be meeting with anyone, clients or colleagues, for a while. I regularly meet face to face with colleagues when working
How are the whores doing during this time of crisis?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Working from home. Just me and my boss/buddy, but we sublease an office so no point touching door handles in a shared space. Mostly pissed Mayor Smeagol closed the beaches, but people around here just refuse to not form massive groups on the beach, and they'd park at a friend's house, or use side street parking away from the beach lots, or.....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
NJ is on lockdown. My wife and oldest son are both out of their jobs. I'm commission based and working from home but under these circumstances won't be making many commissions for the foreseeable future. Just glad January and February were very good and can hold me over a few weeks. Need things to get back to normal asap.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Been working from home since last Wednesday. State considers environmental industry to be essential as our deadlines and adherence to Cleanup and Abatement orders are given no grace whatsoever. And with a whole bunch of reports due in the next couple of weeks, I'm actually really busy.

Luckily, at home, there are so many less distractions and I get much more done. Only my cell phone goes off occasionally instead of the office phone blaring through the entire suite and no coworkers or vendors dropping by to yak. I have always said that I can be just as, if not more, productive by telecommuting. It also makes me wonder how nasty the HVAC system is in my office as my chronic headaches are all but gone.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
can you avoid the train and drive? Move your location at work? Force coworker to go full bubble boy?
I drive. Office mate takes the train. I’m working on getting a work space where I’ll be isolated from most people. Friend told me it’s a ghost town. I figure it may be safer to be at work now while everyone is at home. Disability has crossed my mind but seems drastic and job security is important right now. I feel that’s not a good path to go down.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I am going into school right now to organize my stuff, download the next few units of work and hopefully find a roll of extra TP in the men's room! I'm pretty impressed with our district rolling out remote learning so quickly, my kids are not, they have enjoyed the late night family board and card games until midnight every night. My Senior is pretty bummed about missing things like hanging with all of her friends, Prom, Senior out(survivor game), maybe even graduation.
My wife is out of both jobs for now and my kid too, but 9 years ago when my wife nearly died from a brain bleed and was in the ICU for 30 days (you old school guys here might remember) our finances got so fubar that i vowed to have a cushion the next time something like that happened so we wouldn't need help from anybody so for now we are gonna be fine. my senior has gotten accepted at UH hawaii, Cal Poly San Luis Obisbo, UC Davis, and some other choices so we may have some hard financial decisions ahead. JC is always an option too.