Who's working? Who's not?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I'm out for the year.

Again, I'm grateful to have a job at the moment. I'm running my class like the online college courses that I took over the summer. It's not ideal for High School freshmen and sophomores, but with the difficulties they have just getting to the assignments with all of the other people stuck at home, I'm not trying to complicate things with bells and whistles. I'm fortunate that it happened no because I was missing work on account of my back right before we shut down. At least I don't have to drive 1.5 hours each way.
I do faculty payroll. One bright spot in a world of darkness. I say thank you that we were so proactive now three weeks ago.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
If your an educator in Ventura County, looks like all schools closed for the rest of the school year!

MMMkkkkk, my kids will learn a lot more at home than school work....
que minecraft, trampolines, gardening, ride on jeeps, scooters, bikes, etc.

Going to be a long few months.....

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Depends what your kids need or can handle. Especially the youngers. Structure and schedule and stick to it. Will alleviate a lot of stress in the kids which will make your life easier. Good luck all, I can barely control 20-some 6-7 year olds when standing over them!

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Don't think there will be a summer session this year.

20/21 is what I am prepping for.

If you are a tenured, full time professor. I can see your salary going forward. If you are a part time adjunct professor....

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Depends what your kids need or can handle. Especially the youngers. Structure and schedule and stick to it. Will alleviate a lot of stress in the kids which will make your life easier. Good luck all, I can barely control 20-some 6-7 year olds when standing over them!
I've got 7-8 yr olds. 1st and 3rd graders.
The distance learning the district enacted this week has been tough on my wife while she works from home, and I probably only know a 3rd graders capacity so I just stay back and do what im told, lol. All is on the up and up daily though.
I really got to hand it to you teachers out there!! I totally respect your trade and appreciate each and every one of you, now more than ever! Good luck to you too as I'm sure its got its difficulties as well!!

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Right now a huge portion of my job is prepping for the upcoming 20/21 school year.

Right now there is nothing.

It's sobering for all of us in Ed. No new contracts. No union negotiations. Everything is in limbo.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
$1000 fine and 90 days in jail for failing to comply with the Shelter in Place order now in Santa Cruz county. 90 days in Santa Cruz county jail and you not only will have Covid but probably a terminal dose of AIDS as a side order.
In Italy right now they are going to flamethrowers. That bad.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
$1000 fine and 90 days in jail for failing to comply with the Shelter in Place order now in Santa Cruz county. 90 days in Santa Cruz county jail and you not only will have Covid but probably a terminal dose of AIDS as a side order.
Life or Death now Bro... Santa Cruz has an enormous homeless pop. This Covid sh!t gets into them and we are toast.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
dear wife, its not necessary to call me to tell me what u just bought at the grocery store. i can take inventory when it arrives.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
I'm working from home. Busier than ever, lots of OT. Glad to be employed and more than happy for the extra work during lock down.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I wonder if anyone not working has thought about this label society has placed you as "non-essential".
Does that mean if it really came down to it and society had to make that decision like that movie, "deep impact" or "2012", that the non-essentials would be sacrificed for the "greater good" of society. I know I would be thinking about that.

And why is so much of society, not that essential in keeping the world functioning on a day to day basis?
It seems f'd up to me that society would be comprised of so much it claims it doesn't really need.
I think the classifications need to be re-examined.

Or is it the complete opposite?
are those out their battling for their lives to provide for the rest safely in hiding, the real sacrificial lambs in this game of virus chicken? Are these "essential" individuals the ones society is willing to sacrifice like soldiers going to war on behalf of the rest.
I see these health professionals pushed to their limit and paying for it psychologically, physically and economically.
It really is like warfare with no medal of honor for those sacrificing their lives. Each one of their families should get a civilian medal of honor like the military. Maybe even buried in Arlington with the rest of America's heroes.

It seems the military takes better care of those they put on the front lines that what society has provided for the health providers and first responders.

Like how this country screwed the 9/11 NYC first responders after it was over, I fear it'll be the same to all those on the front lines today after this is over. The only attention will be given to those hiding in shelter wanting to get back to work to restart the economy. Thank you doesn't seem to be in the american vocabulary for anyone other than those in the military.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It seems the military takes better care of those they put on the front lines that what society has provided for the health providers and first responders.

Like how this country screwed the 9/11 NYC first responders after it was over, I fear it'll be the same to all those on the front lines today after this is over. The only attention will be given to those hiding in shelter wanting to get back to work to restart the economy. Thank you doesn't seem to be in the american vocabulary for anyone other than those in the military.
The military does a terrible job. They just do a good enough job of hiding it.

Today they fired the CO of the Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier because he spoke out saying his men were getting sick and needed relief. Boom. Fired, lost his almost guaranteed Admiral rank, and 30+ year career is down the drain.

The DOD is good at pretending they care.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
The military does a terrible job. They just do a good enough job of hiding it.

Today they fired the CO of the Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier because he spoke out saying his men were getting sick and needed relief. Boom. Fired, lost his almost guaranteed Admiral rank, and 30+ year career is down the drain.

The DOD is good at pretending they care.
saw that. He spoke out of rank when his superiors are controlling narrative. That is huge no at military. They fuck their own people after so much service, it must be gut wrenching for family and service member.