Who's working? Who's not?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
The question that's killing all employers
If a customer comes into your business and catches COVID from an employee while on premise and dies are you liable?
Second, if an employee catches COVID from a customer or fellow employee while doing their job is your business liable?
Third most employees and customers are scared too work or shop
These are the issues that has paralyzed the economy.

If the government stepped in and passed a law waiving all liability for that happening to your company, I bet most businesses would be make come back
Although it wouldn't resolve the fear factor issue of people afraid of getting sick and requiring hospitalization and its costs.
That's what I would do
I'm surprised this is still an issue, Spinal Tap addressed this way back in 1984

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
i'm still teaching, from home with occasional trips to my classroom for, stuff, the wife and oldest kid were laid/off furloughed when this all started a couple of weeks back,wife filed for unemployment online, it logged her off a couple times and she had to start over, but submitted all the info. yesterday got a letter from the state, please fill out this and this and send back, so we'll see how long it takes until we see some dough on her end. My kid is a senior and has been saving for college so that isn't happening anymore, she worked at a surf shop. we should be getting the max from the gov. when they pay that out yippee!, learned my lesson once so we have a cushion to live off of if this goes badly, as it looks like it will..

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Welp.

The State Superintendent just announced that he'd like to see all CA schools closed for the rest of the semester.
Looks like I'm Mr. Online until the end of May. I'm not upset in the least.

That being said. This is only going to put more pressure on the kids and families that have the most pressure on them. I empathize with those losing jobs, losing access to healthcare, and not knowing wha to do. But for me, I'm going to be very happy if my superintendent falls in line with the state recommendation.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Still out there. Day by day but new state mandate that we all take separate vehicles to worksites. I already work solo this time of year though.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
company im working for slashed the VP's and highers wages instead of laying anyone off and the CEO isnt taking any salary....for now.

they have parks, cruise ships, hotels, film and television production all at a complete stand still. Surprised they havent cut anyone yet TBH.
sounds like the plot to Succession. Except those fools would have laid everybody off

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Looks like OR schools are planning to be out til summer. Oregon DOE still figuring out the details of what this learning will look like. Went to school today to finish making April packets for families/students. Took more read aloud books to read and post vids for kids to see/talk about with their parents (hopefully). Strange days, especially for the demographic who don't have internet access or the percentage of the population who thinks that education is not important for their 6-7 year olds.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Looks like OR schools are planning to be out til summer. Oregon DOE still figuring out the details of what this learning will look like. Went to school today to finish making April packets for families/students. Took more read aloud books to read and post vids for kids to see/talk about with their parents (hopefully). Strange days, especially for the demographic who don't have internet access or the percentage of the population who thinks that education is not important for their 6-7 year olds.
28A91B92-A029-4939-863A-BE7CDACF04DA.jpeg
6 and 7 y/o. Tomorrow is day 15 of home school.

The work situation where we’re at is nothing short of brutal. Not many jobs here one can do from home. Almost everyone I know is unemployed with the typical Mexican backup plan: none.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Really sucks for alot of people. And is going to get worse. Seasonal places are fucked. People will just stop paying.

I feel for some the undocumented workers in the country that may not have any ability to get any type of assistance. Hard working people with kids. If this is not a reason to make them citizens, I don't know what is.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Restaurant manager checking in. Still working...but I'm the last of 40 people. Everyone else is gone. Me and the chef/owner, making it happen. Trying not to over or under react to each day as the rules and vibes around us change. Turned our dining room into a grocery store. Went back to selling to go food to order. Not making money, can't even bring in enough to cover the last payroll. So those 39 others are out there without so much as their last check. Every business around us has closed btw. Hundreds, maybe thousands, out of work and out of options.

One person has died within the 100 or so mile radius that makes up our county from covid-19 though. So it's all been worth it...
***O?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If LAUSD's rollout of online professional development for teacher's this week is any indicator, the onset of online instruction, when 734,641 students all go online at the same will be a fiasco.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
My kid is a senior and has been saving for college so that isn't happening anymore, she worked at a surf shop.
I really feel for the senior HS and college kids right now having to miss out on senioritus, hanging out with friends before they part ways, prom, graduation, etc. Such a care free time that you can never get back. While it's certainly minor compared to the losses of many others, it still sucks for them.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Back in the paint after a couple few weeks off. Rained out turned to stay at home virus. Good to get back on the job!
We're on for the next week, then we'll see where we are then. Exterior 2 story, wearing masks and gloves are standard, even more important now. Lots of kids and adults out excercising, waay too many cars around though, gotta worry about overspray....lol all good!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I really feel for the senior HS and college kids right now having to miss out on senioritus, hanging out with friends before they part ways, prom, graduation, etc. Such a care free time that you can never get back. While it's certainly minor compared to the losses of many others, it still sucks for them.
It only sucks for sentimental types. It's not a big deal, they'll live. And, most importantly, they won't know any different if this is all there is. I feel for the seniors that have to listen to their sentimental parents tell them how much they "missed" because of this.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My kid just got furloughed. Works retail - high end womens clothing. She knew it was coming and they told her they might start up again this summer.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's a bad year to graduate and be looking for a job... might be living at home for a while.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It only sucks for sentimental types. It's not a big deal, they'll live. And, most importantly, they won't know any different if this is all there is. I feel for the seniors that have to listen to their sentimental parents tell them how much they "missed" because of this.
Agreed to an extent, at least about their parents telling them what they’ll miss. My prom and HS graduation were sh!t, although it was fun getting baked at all day and fooking off the last semester. A lot of fun social times outside of the big events that you never got back during those times.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Agreed to an extent, at least about their parents telling them what they’ll miss. My prom and HS graduation were sh!t, although it was fun getting baked at all day and fooking off the last semester. A lot of fun social times outside of the big events that you never got back during those times.
This. I didn't go to prom, they had a field trip to Orlando for seniors for a night and I thought that sounded like 2 hours in a school bus with Orlando at the end of it; no thanks I'll swan dive into some lava instead.
Parents said I had to attend high school or college graduation; luckily I heard horror stories about 5 hours in the Gainesville sun for College of Engineering so high school it was. Sucked, but only like 3 hours and only sweltering in the sun for the first hour or so, plus saved my folks 6 hours in a car and probably hotel.
A couple buddies always had parties or hung out at their houses, basically every night including Christmas and Thanksgiving. Night of graduation, the said we were supposed to go to graduation parties. Everyone we knew hung out at their houses so we just shrugged. Parents made a cake, neighbors came over, they tried to send me out for the night, and I was like, lol, nobody I know is doing anything; gonna play some video games. They were absolutely stunned.

It was the carefree vibe, the days getting longer in March, April, and May, and the complete lack of fcks given. The last hurrah before five years of living almost 2 hours inland with no car.

Also the college grads who need jobs. OUCH.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
View attachment 88508
6 and 7 y/o. Tomorrow is day 15 of home school.

The work situation where we’re at is nothing short of brutal. Not many jobs here one can do from home. Almost everyone I know is unemployed with the typical Mexican backup plan: none.
Are the kids bi lingual?

That is such a good gift to a kid.

When I am in a foreign country and some one I know speaks the language it's like a super power.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveT