Who had that Bitcoin target price prediction?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What does this mean?

Do people with short positions that are 'open' have an expiration period or something?
5x "leverage" short means you borrowed from the exchange for increase your position.

if price moves DOWN 1%, you're in 5% profit
if price moves DOWN 2%, you're in 10% profit

but

if price moves UP 1%, you've lost 5%
if price moves UP 2%, you've lost 10%

Leverage can be from 2x to 125x in crypto.

You can be leveraged long or leveraged short

In crypto futures, there is no expiration period. You can keep a position open as long as you want.

50x leverage short

if price moves DOWN 1%, you're up 50%

but

if price moves UP 1%, you're down 50%

People who don't 'cover' their position, which means to close the position, they will get auto-liquidated by the exchange at 100% loss. The exchange will close the position for you and you lose the entire amount you put down.

I very rarely go higher than 5x leverage, and usually not higher than 3x. At 3x leverage, the price has to move ~33.3% in the opposite direction before you get liquidated. So if you short and price goes up 34%, you're liquidated. This gives you a lot of wiggle room in case you get a bad entry.

No US exchanges offer leverage except Kraken. They offer leverage, but only for accounts of over $10m in assets, per gov regulations. Rest of exchanges are scared to offer leverage because unclear regulations regarding leverage for crypto.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Crazy short squeeze just happened on BTC.

$60m+ liquidated shorts in 1h

BTC 15m

View attachment 150882
This is my yearly reminder that “Satoshi Nakamoto” is a bunch of fat neck beards working in an NSA SCIF. They have enough BTC to drive the price to zero and they know everyone on the ledger.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
5x "leverage" short means you borrowed from the exchange for increase your position.

if price moves DOWN 1%, you're in 5% profit
if price moves DOWN 2%, you're in 10% profit

but

if price moves UP 1%, you've lost 5%
if price moves UP 2%, you've lost 10%

Leverage can be from 2x to 125x in crypto.

You can be leveraged long or leveraged short

In crypto futures, there is no expiration period. You can keep a position open as long as you want.

50x leverage short

if price moves DOWN 1%, you're up 50%

but

if price moves UP 1%, you're down 50%

People who don't 'cover' their position, which means to close the position, they will get auto-liquidated by the exchange at 100% loss. The exchange will close the position for you and you lose the entire amount you put down.

I very rarely go higher than 5x leverage, and usually not higher than 3x. At 3x leverage, the price has to move ~33.3% in the opposite direction before you get liquidated. So if you short and price goes up 34%, you're liquidated. This gives you a lot of wiggle room in case you get a bad entry.

No US exchanges offer leverage except Kraken. They offer leverage, but only for accounts of over $10m in assets, per gov regulations. Rest of exchanges are scared to offer leverage because unclear regulations regarding leverage for crypto.

So in the case of crypto if I have $100 and leverage 5x - the exchange liquidates me if the % change in price of the asset exceeds $100 ?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you were trying to drag a notorious sh!t-talker on a message board who got licked and dated or damn close to it leveraging stocks, nevermind something as volatile as shitcoins, what words would you use to demean and degrade them?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
If you were trying to drag a notorious sh!t-talker on a message board who got licked and dated or damn close to it leveraging stocks, nevermind something as volatile as shitcoins, what words would you use to demean and degrade them?
Seriously? Put on your big boy pants and look in the mirror. That’s where the ‘blame’ lies. Learn how to manage risk!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So in the case of crypto if I have $100 and leverage 5x - the exchange liquidates me if the % change in price of the asset exceeds $100 ?
No. It would liquidate you if the price of the asset moves more than 20% in the opposite direction.

5x Long at $100 price = liquidation if asset price reaches ~$80
5x Short at $100 price = liquidation if asset price reaches ~$120

A 'squeeze' occurs which price starts pushing back through a zone where a lot of leveraged shorts/longs were opened. Because to close a position, you must do the opposite.

If you opened long position, you must sell to close (drive down price)
If you opened short position, you must buy to close (drive price up)

After BTC had really sharp move down yesterday, a ton of people went short. So today, they drove the price back up to liquidate all those positions. Basically, the price moved up and forced people to close their short positions. So all those people had to 'buy' instantly to close, which drove price up even more.

It's very common to have a sharp move in the opposite direction, right before continuation of trend. This will be interesting to watch because yesterday all the signs were there that BTC finally reached a temporary top after 3 straight months of rockets. Now we get the not-surprise move to liquidate shorts. So will trend continue down now as everyone is expecting?

This guy was up $110,000 on his long position BTC with 40x leverage. Didn't take profit though. Watch how fast he gets liquidated when the market flipped. Pay attention to numbers at bottom left. His liquidation price is shown in the stats.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
No. It would liquidate you if the price of the asset moves more than 20% in the opposite direction.

5x Long at $100 price = liquidation if asset price reaches ~$80
5x Short at $100 price = liquidation if asset price reaches ~$120

A 'squeeze' occurs which price starts pushing back through a zone where a lot of leveraged shorts/longs were opened. Because to close a position, you must do the opposite.

If you opened long position, you must sell (drive down price)
If you opened short position, you must buy (drive price up)

After BTC had really sharp move down yesterday, a ton of people went short. So today, they drove the price back up to liquidate all those positions. Basically, the price moved up and forced people to close their short positions. So all those people had to 'buy' instantly to close, which drove price up even more.

It's very common to have a sharp move in the opposite direction, right before continuation of trend. This will be interesting to watch because yesterday all the signs were there that BTC finally reached a temporary top after 3 straight months of rockets. Now we get the not-surprise move to liquidate shorts. So will trend continue down now as everyone is expecting?

This guy was up $110,000 on his long position BTC with 40x leverage. Didn't take profit though. Watch how fast he gets liquidated when the market flipped. Pay attention to numbers at bottom left. His liquidation price is shown in the stats.

Somewhat off topic, but here we go.

Once I bought this bear 3x derivative that would get knocked out if the stock was up 33% during the day. When I bought it the stock was up 30%++ and the derivative was damn near worthless because of the knock-out probability. So I bought for $200 with the goal of 10x++ my money! The shitstonk hit 33% for brief moment I was left KO'd :roflmao:

• Wow
Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
  • Wow
Reactions: brukuns

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Elon changed Twitter logo and twitter loading page icon to be DOGE (shiba inu) icon.

Instant DOGE rocket for 36%.

DOGE trending #1 on Twit with 50k tweets in 2 hours.

99% sure Elon did it to troll the lawsuit against him over his DOGE-related tweets.

1680551051243.png