Who blew up Nord Stream?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Means: Russian (or Russian affiliated) demo teams.

Opportunity: Russian Navy in the Baltic Sea.

Motive (all conjecture at this point):
1 link
2 link
3 link
4 link

If anyone doesn't want to follow links, and I can't blame you, perhaps simple motive for the pipeline attack is better understood by looking at recent Crimea bridge attack. I think this bridge is more useful to Russia and the Russians on Crimea than it is to Ukraine. After the bridge was attacked, Ukraine got missile attack in civilian areas. Russian retribution seems slightly more plausible than solely trying to go for battlefield gains. When the pipeline was attacked, no similar Russian attack. Ergo, the appearance is that Russian strikes back when it has suffered something it doesn't want.
The first link was mostly squid ink. This part, in particular, was absurd
If so, that does change the strategic landscape in the energy war. If perpetrated by Russia, the signaling value toward the West—which would certainly know Russia is behind the explosions—may be a threat to the rest of the marine energy infrastructure
Blowing up your own pipeline to “signal to the West” instead of several others run by NATO countries is an idiotic idea. The part about force majeur also fails Ockham’s razor. The author clearly doesn’t believe what he’s writing. BTW the Germans I’ve talked to think the US did it - the Germans were trying to negotiate a reopening of the pipeline since they’re so dependent on Russian natural gas. Being an American vassal, there’s not much they can do.

The Ukrainians had the motive but not the means or opportunity - no navy, at least not in the North Sea, no UUVs. The breaks in the pipeline were at a depth at/beyond perilous mixed gas diving that has to be managed from the surface. It was also too shallow for a submarine. Depth charges are typically dropped in a pattern to get submarines to surface, but we could easily tell from satellite images who was in the area at the time. Most likely the 200lb charges were attached by UUV - only a few navies are good at this.

link 2 says Russia had all 3 Ms but never explains why they would blow up a pipeline that wasn’t being used and says their motives were unclear.

In these articles, of course, it’s not explained how the US had much greater means, motive, and opportunty than the Russians. Biden even said we would do it.

I don’t know what’s motivating Americans to believe the Russians blew up their own pipeline- maybe it’s cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Blowing up your own pipeline to “signal to the West” instead of several others run by NATO countries is an idiotic idea. The part about force majeur also fails Ockham’s razor. The author clearly doesn’t believe what he’s writing. BTW the Germans I’ve talked to think the US did it - the Germans were trying to negotiate a reopening of the pipeline since they’re so dependent on Russian natural gas. Being an American vassal, there’s not much they can do.

The Ukrainians had the motive but not the means or opportunity - no navy, at least not in the North Sea, no UUVs. The breaks in the pipeline were at a depth at/beyond perilous mixed gas diving that has to be managed from the surface. It was also too shallow for a submarine. Depth charges are typically dropped in a pattern to get submarines to surface, but we could easily tell from satellite images who was in the area at the time. Most likely the 200lb charges were attached by UUV - only a few navies are good at this.

link 2 says Russia had all 3 Ms but never explains why they would blow up a pipeline that wasn’t being used and says their motives were unclear.

In these articles, of course, it’s not explained how the US had much greater means, motive, and opportunty than the Russians. Biden even said we would do it.

I don’t know what’s motivating Americans to believe the Russians blew up their own pipeline- maybe it’s cognitive dissonance.
How do the Americans have more opportunity lol? And what's the motive? Blowing up to inactive pipelines hits not all that hard.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

overtly bombing NATO infrastructure draws them in to the fray

but I can see you're really committed to your position because you know some Germans

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The United States

Forces Germany and the rest of Europe to continue to suffer with reduced energy without the opportunity to acquiesce and end the embargo against Russian energy. It also gives us the opportunity to force them to buy energy sources from American, American-adjacent, and American-approved producers

Not a false flag, just simple geopolitics
:unsure:

Hmmmm....so what you're saying is that the Biden admnistration is covertly promoting the interests of the US petroleum and gas industries?

Duly noted.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
:unsure:

Hmmmm....so what you're saying is that the Biden admnistration is covertly promoting the interests of the US petroleum and gas industries?

Duly noted.
The security state has been trying to ween Europe off Russian gas for decades:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
...and yet Germany had already halted the project before the incursion

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I thought the US did it? I swear that’s what I read here. Ifail ssid 100% chance. Gromsdad was sure. Duffy said 70% chance.

Weird.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf and Mr Doof