Which is your ultimate fav Groveler?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
That video made me wonder if you could bring back WEBS gloves from the 80's and market them to the new/recent adult-learner "sarfers" that have crowded the lineups since work-from-home started last Spring. Wouldn't one video of Slater (or maybe even Noel Salsa) using them convince that they are necessary to catch more waves?? LOL. Only half-joking. #milliondollaridea

Never tried a twinzer and have no interest in going down a twinzer rabbit hole with my next few boards (I gotta draw the line somewhere LOL), but genuinely curious: what is the theory behind the twinzer vs. a quad? I expect it's meant to have more control than a twin, but less than a quad?
I have a 5’8” small wave twinzer that i’ve only surfed once. I should give it a few more sessions but my impression was: very similar to a twin frontside, more hold backside but easier release off the top than a quad.

My frontside assessment might have to do more with how I surf though.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
im looking into some GH pills and tear drop shapes...anyone have experience with these? I know GH is legit, just wondering if anyone has tried either of these specific shapes?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
General thing with grovelers I think is straight rail lines and flat rockers. My best groveler was a Lost Bottom Feeder. I find that too much concave under the front foot is sticky until you get up to speed. A flatter bottom or shallower concaves seems to work better.

The Bottom Feeder actually had belly in the font going into an inset double and vee out the tail.

"The belly continues through the center but features a double concave sitting inside it. Which creates a tri-plane hull featuring a soft chine in the rail. This feeds water through the hull and gives it a feeling closer to a concave bottom board."

Board felt very loose in smaller stuff and was a beast in bigger waves as long as it was soft. Once the wave got bigger with some more curve to it, it stopped working. I tried a couple of Puddle Jumper variations but always felt that the Bottom Feeder was a better board. Set up with big twins in front and upright controllers in the rear it went really well.

Fling was fun too. I think in any of these big twins for drive with either upright quads or a smaller trailer will work.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've seen some guys on that GH Pill having fun on small days. The outline on the nose always bugged me some on those models for some reason. Something about how abrupt that nose tip changes.

That soapbox looks like a Fling. Reminds me of this quad I had 10 years back also.

motiv1.jpg

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
General thing with grovelers I think is straight rail lines and flat rockers. My best groveler was a Lost Bottom Feeder. I find that too much concave under the front foot is sticky until you get up to speed. A flatter bottom or shallower concaves seems to work better.

The Bottom Feeder actually had belly in the font going into an inset double and vee out the tail.

"The belly continues through the center but features a double concave sitting inside it. Which creates a tri-plane hull featuring a soft chine in the rail. This feeds water through the hull and gives it a feeling closer to a concave bottom board."

Board felt very loose in smaller stuff and was a beast in bigger waves as long as it was soft. Once the wave got bigger with some more curve to it, it stopped working. I tried a couple of Puddle Jumper variations but always felt that the Bottom Feeder was a better board. Set up with big twins in front and upright controllers in the rear it went really well.

Fling was fun too. I think in any of these big twins for drive with either upright quads or a smaller trailer will work.
I always thought the Bottom Feeder went better then the PJ.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Ryan is the local shaper I mentioned above I get boards from. Ill see him in the next few weeks to get that board done. I’ll ask. I think someone said Ryan shaped for Super and he was part of the design.
His LinkedIn says he was production manager there, but no date range was stated.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Heads up, I've had one on order since early July. He is slammed.
yeah my buddy had one on order for like 4 months before finally canceling the order. then a couple months later they hit him up saying your board is done. he was like, uhhh.

they sorted it out no problem but yeah, sounds like they are slammed.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm putting in an order for an Akila Aipa Contemporary fish. That shape looks so good and they've been super resposnsive and enthusiastic.
Funny, they stopped replying to my status requests. I ordered same time as trifish. I keep meaning to call.
But I got a hold of a new 5'10 one locally, and it is insane- even at a couple inches/liters too big for me. So I think the one I ordered will be perfect... worth whatever hassle or wait.