Which is your ultimate fav Groveler?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I'd consider finding a reputable shaper in your area who knows the waves you're trying to surf. If you find an outline here you like, you can even take that to them.

You're asking for groveler recommendations from people who surf a wave rich coast, and your area gets next to nothing.

As example, the pony mentioned multiple times here is a terrible groveler where I am, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'd consider finding a reputable shaper in your area who knows the waves you're trying to surf. If you find an outline here you like, you can even take that to them.

You're asking for groveler recommendations from people who surf a wave rich coast, and your area gets next to nothing.

As example, the pony mentioned multiple times here is a terrible groveler where I am, in my opinion.
they don't have shapers in italy only fashion designers...

maybe ferrari or lamborghini can make the OP a boar?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka, jkb and Cest

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
If you are looking for something that will help paddle and catch more waves in a crowded lineup, all of these are pretty short and will only be marginally different in that regard.
this. had quite a few lost grovellers, currently ride a fling, and have had a few sessions on a seaside. they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's no significant difference in getting into waves / dealing with crowds. I'd say the seaside might even be the best wave catcher of the bunch. OP your seaside sounds to be sized pretty generously already, so for a real benefit regarding wave catching something like a christenson long phish might be a good call? I doubt that you would be doing much better turns on a giant twice baked, manta etc. I'm 20 pounds heavier and find the huge tail of my 32l fling hard to control at times....
PS I surf in the netherlands every now and then and know the struggle of shitty waves with large crowds all too well

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I guess I've assembled a groveler mini quiver the past couple years. The small waves I surf them in are usually junky windswell and might be comparable to your zone. My 2 favorites are Hydrodynamica GMM2 made by XTR (doesn't sound like you'd like wide tailed planing hull), and Akila Aipa Contemporary Fish. It's fantastic, and if you are willing to order a custom from Hawaii, you might really like the Aipa, and I've found it to have good range so far. For a more stock option, I also really like Pyzel Gremlin.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
this dude is surfing these 2 Albums pretty well in the Mediterranean:

if you've got access to Bing surfboards, the Cypress looks like a fun option. I've got one on order so I don't have any firsthand experience on it yet, but when I was at the shop placing my order they said they've got a few stock ones coming through the factory

I'd also go +1 on a long fish. Been itching for one myself due to the crowd situation at my local spots

Last edited:
Reactions: trifish

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
If the waves have no power, I like the manta. It's a wide beast so it's fast and they should be short (like 5'0-5'4 for your dims). If you go to big they skate too much and become really hard to control.

A board that I really miss is the ...Lost Bottom Feeder, mine ate up the mush both frontside and backside and could handle a wide range of conditions.

Reactions: retodd and Havoc
Nov 25, 2020
this dude is surfing these 2 Albums pretty well in the Mediterranean:

if you've got access to Bing surfboards, the Cypress looks like a fun option. I've got one on order so I don't have any firsthand experience on it yet, but when I was at the shop placing my order they said they've got a few stock ones coming through the factory

I'd also go +1 on a long fish. Been itching for one myself due to the crowd situation at my local spots
For more bottom end , that dharma is amazing.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That video made me wonder if you could bring back WEBS gloves from the 80's and market them to the new/recent adult-learner "sarfers" that have crowded the lineups since work-from-home started last Spring. Wouldn't one video of Slater (or maybe even Noel Salsa) using them convince that they are necessary to catch more waves?? LOL. Only half-joking. #milliondollaridea

Never tried a twinzer and have no interest in going down a twinzer rabbit hole with my next few boards (I gotta draw the line somewhere LOL), but genuinely curious: what is the theory behind the twinzer vs. a quad? I expect it's meant to have more control than a twin, but less than a quad?

Last edited:

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Locally shaped RNF type board. 5'5x19.5x2.3 thruster with large Merricks.

Goes in pretty much anything we get. I ride it when it's decent too. I have a nearly new 5'9 squash tail perfomancey board from the same guy that I haven't hardly ridden since I got this one.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
If the waves are at least 2 foot, I’ve been enjoying the Lost/Lib Puddle Jumper HP.

Reactions: Aruka