Which is your ultimate fav Groveler?

Jan 11, 2016
***posted in the wrong section and moved here***

Hi there,

on the hunt to find the ultimate, perfect groveler.
I’m intermediate Mediterrean surfer (windswell mainly) based in Italy. We surf in the 1-3 foot range with some good days up to 5/6foot.
Predominantly mushy stuff.
I’m now using a Machado Seaside in 5’8 (I’m 5’9 x 156lb), works pretty good even in small surf but feel that in crowded winter days I could be supported in catching as much waves as possible with a proper groveler.

Had a try in the past on Bean Bag 5’5, good but too short when it comes to paddle in strong current, Baked potato in 5’7 and 5’9 but didn’t fall in love with the huge tail, Mid-lenght or lenghtish Greedy Beaver in 6’10 and Bing Seeker in 7’2 but I’m now set in the shortboard area after a journey through logs in the past.

I was considering, without any test, Twice Baked 5’7, Bean Bag 5’7, Flying Manta (found a used-like-new 5’8, not very common here in Europe).

Any experience to share on this very low range of surf sleds?

grazie!
Simone

Last edited:
Reactions: waxfoot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
JS Flaming Pony w/ large JS fins.
Haydenshapes Merlot w/ EA Blackstix
Xanadu Pig 2

The JS is a true groveler for waist high and under.

The Haydenshapes is not a true groveler but a board that works very well in small surf but can still work up to head high.

The Pig 2 I have not personally ridden, but it often comes up in conversations about amazing grovelers.

Also, see the thread regarding the Super Fling.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2016
JS Flaming Pony w/ large JS fins.
Haydenshapes Merlot w/ EA Blackstix
Xanadu Pig 2

The JS is a true groveler for waist high and under.

The Haydenshapes is not a true groveler but a board that works very well in small surf but can still work up to head high.

The Pig 2 I have not personally ridden, but it often comes up in conversations about amazing grovelers.

Also, see the thread regarding the Super Fling.
Right, I was missing the Ponies!
Flaming Pony is also one on the list, like also the standard shortboard shape just enlarged.
I've seen also this (maybe) latest addition in the Pony line-up, the Flame Fish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Right, I was missing the Ponies!
Flaming Pony is also one on the list, like also the standard shortboard shape just enlarged.
I've seen also this (maybe) latest addition in the Pony line-up, the Flame Fish
Appears to be the newest version of the Pony.

If a true groveler - a board for waist high and below - is what you're looking for I'd go for it.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Love the look of the shape, not really know about how it rides. Does it suffer choppy or windy days? I always have doubts regarding eps/short lenght/high volume shapes when it comes to deal with windswells like ours
I didn't think so. I had one when I was living on the Florida Gulf Coast. It was quick to get up on plane, could carry speed through the mushy sections, and the sharp/angular rails gave it some bite, allowing it to turn in the steeper sections of the wave. It was also pretty fun in bigger swells (Florida Gulf and East Coast). Rails allowed it to hold in. Sometimes it felt too wide in the tail to turn up and down the face quickly in really small pockety waves, but overall it was a fantastic grovel shape and surprisingly versatile board given the outline. I am looking to get my hands on another.

I am about your size. The 5'8" would be absolutely massive. I had a 5'4" and definitely could have gone smaller, but enjoyed having all that surface area/foam for the really weak days. I could take it out in absolute shite and still surf well.

Reactions: Simonexico
Jan 11, 2016
I didn't think so. I had one when I was living on the Florida Gulf Coast. It was quick to get up on plane, could carry speed through the mushy sections, and the sharp/angular rails gave it some bite, allowing it to turn in the steeper sections of the wave. It was also pretty fun in bigger swells (Florida Gulf and East Coast). Rails allowed it to hold in. Sometimes it felt too wide in the tail to turn up and down the face quickly in really small pockety waves, but overall it was a fantastic grovel shape and surprisingly versatile board given the outline. I am looking to get my hands on another.

I am about your size. The 5'8" would be absolutely massive. I had a 5'4" and definitely could have gone smaller, but enjoyed having all that surface area/foam for the really weak days. I could take it out in absolute shite and still surf well.
Thanks Billy, I think the 5'8 is about 40 liters or so, I've seen a 5'6 at 37. Maybe too much but here we still have very limited fetch so waves could be very longboard style.

Nov 25, 2020
I use a oversized hydra (5'6 33l) for the bottom end .5-2.5 and 2.5 to head high+ I use a pjhp (5'8 31L) . My area of the east coast is known for very weak waves until hurricane season and a stray winter storm. Last night we had a low form and winds went offshore and we had plenty of shoulder high tubing waves... the pjhp definitely held as a quad and was a ton of fun. I do think the 2 boards cover my low end well.

I am 5'7 and 158lbs

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't tried a Flying Manta but it's a favorite of many on here.

The Fling is also very popular. I have one and I like it. I think the very wide tail is a somewhat limiting but for windswell mush it might be just what you need.

My favorite so far is the Lost Puddle Jumper Slim in Carbon Wrap. It's makes speed very easily, turns well, handles some size and is just, out of all the different grovelers I've ridden, the best at making a fun session out of small and crappy waves.

If you are looking for something that will help paddle and catch more waves in a crowded lineup, all of these are pretty short and will only be marginally different in that regard.

A true crowd beater would be a midlength or longboard.

Not that I'm condoning either one.

Reactions: brukuns and trifish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
(crying at the thought of blown out grovel surf in ITALY being crowded)

I disagree with the longboard suggestion, especially for chopped up mess. Either it's rewarding to trim that day, or it belongs on the wall. YMMV, but at some point, you start just managing all that nose rail amongst the churned up sh!t. No fun to me.

I would not worry about EPS for grovelling wind/chop. If it's chest-head high, you're not grovelling. Otherwise, the EPS is going to hop around the bumps, be response and quick, and make connecting the dots easier.

If you like the Bean Bag, that could be a good choice. The lib might deal with bumps well and the narrower tail might compensate for stepping up in size and your dislike of overly wide tails.
For me, it is no good at pumping or stop start surfing or anything quick, and lights up nicely in slower/longer surf. Like Billypilgrim says, it's not a board for quick/pockety surf.

We get soo much clean flat-faced surf (especially at D-grade spots) I'll always have a Bean Bag in grovel dims, but if I wanted one big name label board to grovel, I'd probably pick a Cabron Warp PJ like Aruka says, slightly above shortboard volume. But not sure how big you'd have to go if a Bean Bag you like lacked paddle power.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifish
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Love the look of the shape, not really know about how it rides. Does it suffer choppy or windy days? I always have doubts regarding eps/short lenght/high volume shapes when it comes to deal with windswells like ours
Here, I think you've touched on a key point. I love the feel of a short little skatey board for grovel waves. But when it comes to paddling and surfing in choppy conditions those super short rail lines show their short cummings. In those kinds of conditions I pull out a fun board (er um...mid-length) or longboard, much more enjoyable.

One of my fav grovel boards is the Bottom Feeder. I also have a Fling. There is a noticeable difference in my wave preference between the two. With the BF comes out when it's clean and mushy. Fling gets the nod in more "average" conditions. Longer boards for chop.

Reactions: jkb
Nov 25, 2020
I see a guy out in the lineup regularly in wind chop conditions on a single fin - a thin board (maybe 18 3/4) and six foot in length. The rider seems to be 5'10/150lbs. Seems to have a lower rocker, but he cuts through chop easily and seems to be able to hold a line well. Also he seems to do a good job fighting current on it.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
A buddy stopped by with his xtr bean bag the other day. The rails & tail thickness looked nice. Guess I was expecting something super thick and chunky but the volume was distributed nicely along the edges I thought for that outline. He raves about it a lot. I'm not a fan of wide round noses in wind chop though if thats what you see, but clean/mushy/crumbly stuff it looks like a lot of fun.

For me personally, the difference between a groveler and a micro groveler is hardly anything in terms of wave count. I tend to catch about the same amount as long as I position myself well so I always lean towards the ones with better performance that doesn't mess up my surfing when bouncing back to my other boards. The Gremlin & Puddle Jumper RP was my favorites I think i've had in that regard where I didn't need to adapt much, offered great performance, and caught waves easily. That JS posted above looks right up my ally also and probably something I would like. These are boards I liked in CA, i'm not familiar with your area.

The Manta I never had a good control over. It was too different with that tail. Fast, fun, caught waves easy, but too wild/unpredictable for my taste overall. I have seen plenty guys out here though riding some pretty small weak ankle slappers on that seaside your currently on though. Not sure a board change will give you a higher wave count as much as positioning yourself better in the crowds will.

Reactions: ehiunno and Aruka