Where's all the old boogie boarders?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Ron McAdams passed away?
I was paddling out by myself on a pretty sizeable winter morning at O-dark hundred, patting myself on the back because I am so fcuking 'core. Get to the lineup and there's Ron staring back at me wearing a caving helmet and light and starts telling me how good it was 2 hours ago....still half drunk and reeking to high heaven from a late session at West End.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
anyone recall the name of a bodyboarding video with the opening set to Pantera's Cowboy's From Hell? One of the first videos to show slabs in Brazil, Australia, etc. Was awe struck.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Rode the boog earlier this week, first time in 20 years.

Wasn't sure what fins to use Churchills or Duckfeet. I went with DF cause comfort.

As I was unloading my gear from the car someone drove by and yelled "FAGGOT!" and when I was crossing the sand a rock whizzed by my head.

Actually that didn't happen.

But indeed lots of stares but thinking about it when I see a boog I stare too.

My first wave in all its glory:

I am now " 'Out' in the Lineup".

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Good job racing the section. :shaka: Looks like you got pushed out by the whitewater but still made it through to the inside reform.

And the pic you posted above is a Bodyboard faux paus they like to call 'delbow' (double elbow on the board is generally a no no).

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Many years ago there was an article in one of the mags about bodyboarding and Bradshaw said something about how he couldn't see how it was something people would still be doing as they got older. I think that motivated me not to quit.

Reactions: Boneroni

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
A long time ago I read somewhere that the difference in skill level between the average joe bodyboarder and the "pros" that you'd see on the vids and mags was so great, and there was really no "in between" like you'd maybe see in the surfing universe. You'd see guys charging these incredible, hollow slabs and shorebreaks, flipping these huge airs, but then see your average dude boog slow, slopey waves that would leave you uninspired.

I occasionally boogey the bigger hollow closeouts around here, and that is still a f'n blast.

Reactions: Boneroni

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
This movie RIPS! One of the best I’ve seen in a long time. Stripper stories, the hot McDonalds chick, reverse roll, good music and road scenes.:jamon:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
You just gotta get into the historical perspective....

It’s early in the 1980’s...Disco is on it’s last legs and was everything two years ago. Bellbottoms are still in your closet from 5 years ago with a smashed roach in the pocket. BMX bikes and teams are starting to take off while Hard Rockers discovered makeup and hairspray. Regan‘s In and everyone think they are business men and a white drug is readily accessible.

I think the moms of America woulda approved this ad. They have the wallet.

I loved my Mach 7-7.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Remember '87 junior year high school big winter storm victory to sea conditions goleta beach pier waves breaking over pier. Me and sponge buddy go out on boogies and other friend trys to surf. Surf friend makes it out first but also gets a$$ handed to him and first to go in. Sponge bud takes a few insiders and rides a few. Me I turn around and go on set....I did not make it to bottom and got piled drived:drowning:
OMG, that's funny. Same exact thing happened to me there about 5 years after that. Ended up with a big ol' sand burn on my face. My teachers laughed their ass off when I said it was from boogie boarding :roflmao: :foreheadslap: