Where's all the old boogie boarders?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
You don't see em much.
I like that you've got the boog on the brain now Casa. :shaka:

Jay Reale is phenomenally fit (still does triathlons as far as I know), and is still Bodyboarding and Stand Up Surfing 4-5 days a week the last I spoke with him.

https://www.ebodyboarding.com/blogs/jay-reale/how-to-ride-a-bodyboard

You're right though, you rarely see Bodyboarders outside in the lineups anywhere in San Diego. La Jolla used to have more of a presence, but over the last 10 years it's really thinned out. I remember in the early 90's when Marine Street had a wall of sand on the beach from the constant overhead shorebreak, and the boog scene there was huge.

I will still occasionally be the lone soldier who dares paddle out at Hospitals on a sponge, and I regularly see guys out at Horseshoe Bodyboarding.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Remember '87 junior year high school big winter storm victory to sea conditions goleta beach pier waves breaking over pier. Me and sponge buddy go out on boogies and other friend trys to surf. Surf friend makes it out first but also gets a$$ handed to him and first to go in. Sponge bud takes a few insiders and rides a few. Me I turn around and go on set....I did not make it to bottom and got piled drived:drowning:

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Have access to a sponge worthy wave and might give it a go. Been getting my a$$ kicked trying
to relearn a standard thruster.

Quite a few in the line up at HB back in the day, which I always thought odd considering that wave
is pretty soft away from the pier.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
In honor of this thread, I’m heading out to Big Rock right now and going Bodyboarding which I haven’t done in years. super small and low tide. Good time to go right.

Reactions: Boneroni

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I miss the old bodyboarding days with Stewy, Tamega, Sevo, Roach, and the Aussie crew like Bullet, Eppo, King, and Player. Would drive down south every summer to score big souths in La Jolla, Wedge and that other spot we all know.

The 90s were peak. Surfing culture was starting to go big time mainstream while bodyboarding was trying to do the punk rock thing and find it's own identity. Bodyboarders like Stewy, Tamega, and the Aussies started seeking out the biggest slabs they could find and discovered some super heavy waves way before standups rode them. @sponge had his highsurf advisory blog to keep us all up to date on the island happenings, Stoker and Carter were making solid vids, and print mags were still a thing.

Now it's just a bunch of old guys who get together once in a while. Many don't even ride anymore anymore. Families, kids, and day jobs. Most of the bb forums have died. Magazines are dead. It's mostly underground now which is the best place for it I think.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I miss the old bodyboarding days with Stewy, Tamega, Sevo, Roach, and the Aussie crew like Bullet, Eppo, King, and Player. Would drive down south every summer to score big souths in La Jolla, Wedge and that other spot we all know.

The 90s were the peak. Surfing culture was starting to go big time mainstream while bodyboarding was trying to do the punk rock thing and find it's own identity. Bodyboarders like Stewy, Tamega, and the Aussies started seeking out the biggest slabs they could find and discovered some super heavy waves way before standups rode them. Sponge had his highsurf advisory blog to keep all up to date on the island happenings and print mags were still a thing.

Now it's just a bunch of old guys who get together once in a while. Many don't even ride anymore anymore. Families, kids, and day jobs. Most of the bb forums have died. Magazines are dead. It's mostly underground now which is the best place for it I think.

Curious, you never happened to work for a bodyboard mag did you?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
The Outer Banks still have a solid crew of older spongers. Many fellas in their 40's and 50's hit it on the regular. Doesn't hurt that the waves can get really good for us Triscuit Pilots.

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Bodyboarding Mags

These are most (or possibly ALL) of the print bodyboard mags that ever existed. Some only lasted one year or less. Others have big archives. Imho, Movement (Australia) was the pinnacle of bodyboarding journalism and photography. Truly a notch up and pretty much the Surfers Journal of Bodyboarding. Of course, it died too.

US
A-Frame (online only)
BBR Mag (online only)
BIM
Bodyboarding
Crysis
Dropknee (online only?)
Movement (US edition)
Option
Riptide (US edition)
ROT
Pit

Australia
Australian Bodyboarder
Contrast
Movement
Riptide
Rush

Brazil
Acqua Player
Fluir
Reverse
Ride-It

France
Bodyboard
Bodyrider
Emglev
Le Boogie (online only?)
Spinair
Sponger

Japan
Bodyboard Jam
Flipper

Portugal
Bodyboard
Vert

South Africa
Logic
Sixty40

UK
LiD
Minority Project
Sponger (UK edition)
Threesixty

A few covers from around the world.

Bodyboard (France)

bb-france.jpg

Bodyboard Airforce (France)

bodyboardairforcemag.jpg

Bodyrider (France)

bodyridermag.jpg

Flipper (Japan)

flipper_.jpg

Minority (UK)

minority.jpg

Ride-It (Brazil)

cover.jpg

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Only spot where I really see a solid crew of bodyboarders out now would be drainpipes when there is some size

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
In honor of this thread, I’m heading out to Big Rock right now and going Bodyboarding which I haven’t done in years. super small and low tide. Good time to go right.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That was a blast. Micro Dribblers. Always Overhead.

Tried for a right at first, not happening.

I just surfed all by myself for an hour.

Insta hotties doing poses in the rocks.

Then look to another group...Oh Sit, I know these kids going back all the way to my kids Kindergarten. I’m old.

921... Those things still are not the easiest to paddle. No need to get a Paddleboard, just use the bodyboard. You guys are the fittest of the group.