When Waves?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Damn. Jersey boyz blowing up spots.
Laugh out loud. Both spots have some of the most popular Surfline Cams ever on them. Ever watched a particularly popular YouTuber's videos which are 99% shot in a 35 mile stretch of those beachbreaks. Good luck figuring out when and where to be on that 35-mile stretch of coast. Took me about 6 years of regular visits to even begin to figure the place out and I'm still learning.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
no outsiders are making their way to the OBX consistently and they'll probably show up at the wrong time on the wrong day at the wrong tide
Its a big learning curve. Been chasing swells down there for about 20 years typically for 4 to 8 days at a pop a few times a year. Still learning every trip. Also helps to network with the right people. The spots in question are seldom even the best around most days......just the most crowded and popular because they are the most visible. I'm not blowing up anything.

Here is the actual playing field I've been learning on for 20 years. I usually post up in Avon Waves can be anywhere along that stretch and the sandbars change all the time. 4WD a necessity. Over the past 20 years I've gotten incredible surf all over that stretch of coast. Have the pictures to back it up too. Good luck:

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Its a big learning curve. Been chasing swells down there for about 20 years typically for 4 to 8 days at a pop a few times a year. Still learning every trip. Also helps to network with the right people. The spots in question are seldom even the best around most days......just the most crowded and popular because they are the most visible. I'm not blowing up anything.

Here is the actual playing field I've been learning on for 20 years. I usually post up in Avon Waves can be anywhere along that stretch and the sandbars change all the time. 4WD a necessity. Over the past 20 years I've gotten incredible surf all over that stretch of coast. Have the pictures to back it up too. Good luck:

View attachment 121798
Man you come off as defensive...it was a joke, everyone knows S-turns has sucked for the last 10 years compared to the days of the 'house' on the beach.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
That or they just look for brett's car
You could try that. Surfed a lot with him over the past 20 years. If you were in the right spot before he hit the big time he was always there. These days he's avoiding the crowds except when the Lighthouse is firing. He could be anywhere on that 40 mile stretch of road and nobody has it dialed like him.

Reactions: santacruzin

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
You could try that. Surfed a lot with him over the past 20 years. If you were in the right spot before he hit the big time he was always there. These days he's avoiding the crowds except when the Lighthouse is firing. He could be anywhere on that 40 mile stretch of road and nobody has it dialed like him.
Never would, but he seems to pop up where I'm at quite a bit...I like to surf early and alone

Reactions: GromsDad

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
And here I got yelled at for discussing nameless shifting and crappy stretches of beach running for 30 miles on eastern Long Island
Just don't talk about the jetty in front of Eli Manning's house...:cool:

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Seinfeld’s place had a sick sandbar one summer. My buddy was a chef on the estate next door so i got to surf it all to myself. Homie didn’t surf but knew what quality waves looked like, and anytime he looked out his chefs cottage window and saw it firing he would call me.

Beach is public of course but the nearest legal parking would be at least a 20 minute walk, so nobody even knew that little zone was so good that year

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
been fucking freezing here in the UK, super fun dealing with the winds and tide Swing too
Warm as summer and firing down here for the entire month of December and first week of January.

Much needed rest for a few days as the winds pick up, then back at it by this weekend.

Check out the cheap flights and COME ON DOWN!!

• Love

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
you are in commuting distance of the Bristol pool, so I guess you are in North Devon or South Wales? Or are you making the trek from Cornwall? Naming one of those broad regions won't get you into trouble with Brits ;)
North Devon :cheers:
funny I have family in South Wales too, yea yea sheep shaggers I know :roflmao:

where are you based?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
North Devon :cheers:
funny I have family in South Wales too, yea yea sheep shaggers I know :roflmao:

where are you based?
I am from the Gower peninsula S Wales. The green grass of home is well watered which is conducive to breeding sheep, but I did not get involved with the sheep industry. I moved to the south coast of england for work - surfing the english channel which is a very inconsistent place causing me to give away surfing at times. I moved to Australia in 1989. I was a temporary worker in the US from 2001 to 2007 - San Jose region. Sunnyvale skate park is a great place :cheers:

edit --> at this particular moment I am in Bangkok Thailand with my wife who I had not seen for two years due to fortress Australia's locked borders. Just back from 2 weeks on the eastern gulf of Thailand. 2 flat days, the rest waist high to overhead.

• Love

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Waves again today? Aweeeeee yah.:dancing:

Even Mavericks is breaking a little. Finally!

And Atlantic is about to go XXL again.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: toPBk