When Waves?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
S-Turns in North Carolina this morning. That's the road being overwashed and the dune breached. Not my picture. Up here there is swell in the water but we need the tide to drop here too.

Doesn't that happen every year at this spot?

How dumb those people gotta be to build houses right there. :roflmao:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Surf this morning, chest high, sideshore and 22 degrees, oh joy!!!!
Hard pass. Was actually glad I had a client thing downtown that couldn’t be missed. I would have been so torn looking at kind of rideable but clean enough to surf, in that bitter cold wind. Even this afternoon, walked down for sunset, and saw a couple of sets that would be small and fun in the summer, but in 25 degrees? Nah.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Hard pass. Was actually glad I had a client thing downtown that couldn’t be missed. I would have been so torn looking at kind of rideable but clean enough to surf, in that bitter cold wind. Even this afternoon, walked down for sunset, and saw a couple of sets that would be small and fun in the summer, but in 25 degrees? Nah.
Looked fun this evening :shameonyou:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Perhaps. I didn’t even get home until just before sunset anyway. Looked mushy from the light on shores

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had high hopes, outgoing tide really kicked it in the nuts. Got a few though and was not that miserable with the lighter wind and had time to kill.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I saw a few east end pics that looked WELL worth the cold, especially after this demonic flat spell. LB was pretty small, and not a soul in the water in sight, which really tells you something. Everyone and their mother is completely wave starved here in town, if it was decent there would have been takers (including myself)

Reactions: manbearpig

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah I saw a few east end pics that looked WELL worth the cold, especially after this demonic flat spell. LB was pretty small, and not a soul in the water in sight, which really tells you something. Everyone and their mother is completely wave starved here in town, if it was decent there would have been takers (including myself)
My neighbor surfed Long Beach today
but he doesn’t really need anything bigger than ankle biters to paddle out

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah the wind was offshore, I’m sure a log would have been rideable at certain spots. But I sure as sh!t am not suiting up for 22 degree air and a bite of wind chill for a knee high longboard session. Chest to head high and clean and punchy? All over it.

I will say though that if the waves were really fun today, that blazing sunlight would have felt nice on the face and black wetsuit, despite the near arctic temps. nice to see some sun after a gloomy weekend

E48190E8-7251-407E-B4A8-8CEA884FC389.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J and sdsrfr

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Had high hopes, outgoing tide really kicked it in the nuts. Got a few though and was not that miserable with the lighter wind and had time to kill.
We were up there from 11-4. Tides ruined it......actually never let it get good. When my 16 year old is frustrated with the gutless mushburgers I know its not worth paddling out. Even at the bottom of the tide it was too fat.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Doesn't that happen every year at this spot?

How dumb those people gotta be to build houses right there. :roflmao:
I should send you my video driving through there on the monster nor-easter three weeks after Hurricane Sandy. We were one of only 20 4WD vehicles they let through after waiting for two hours. The entire road was gone and there were about 8 more houses than stand there today. The road remained closed for the next full week. My son and I were some of the only outsiders on Hatteras Island that Thanksgiving week. We were actually very lucky to be able to leave at the end of the week as it was only open to 4WD for 2 hours at the bottom of the tide. We were also in the first group of vehicles to leave.

Here is what was waiting on the other side at the Lighthouse that Thanksgiving week. This shot is Black Friday. That was the day at 42 years old with three kids I realized I needed to dial it back a bit. Spent two hours battling a river current looking over backside ledges that looked like Tahiti as a handful of local pros used jetskis to get the rides of their lives. Finally caught 2 rides.......one decent one and got right back out the back. The second forced to straiten out. Went in and for the only time in my life wanted to kiss the sand. Right after I got back to the lighthouse groin one of the locals came in with a badly broken leg just hanging by the flesh. Took this shot with a point and shoot after I got changed. Lusk got spreads in Surfer and Surfer's Journal from that session.

703663_3406455058946_1110746935_o (4).jpg

Cell phone shot from before paddling out. Barley or Fisher Heaverly on the ski.

58989_3405684599685_2122313470_n.jpg

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
what is island called? want to google map it.

We finally got swell today. Yewwwww. :dancing:
Cape Hatteras/Hatteras Island...runs from Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Inlet (plus these new inlets haha). This is just above a town called Rodanthe.

Reactions: r32