Wheat is Murder

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
from Arnold's daily newsletter:
We Owe Gluten An Apology
Gluten needs a new PR team. That’s because the last decade of gluten fear might have been mostly a case of mistaken identity.
The latest research suggests gluten is likely not the cause of many stomach problems and IBS; the real culprit is probably fructans, a carbohydrate source often found in grains, vegetables, and some ultra-processed foods.
That was the takeaway of research that examined what happens when people are given three different types of porridge — one with gluten, one with FODMAPS (a group of carbohydrates, including fructans), and a placebo. There was no difference in GI issues between the placebo and the gluten group, whereas the diet higher in FODMAPS caused problems.
So how do you explain all the gluten-free success stories? It’s likely a placebo effect. In a 2017 study, 40 percent of people reported GI issues when given a placebo but were told it was gluten.
If removing gluten makes you feel better, then go for it. But, for most people, unless you have celiac disease (that’s less than 2 percent of the population), gluten likely isn’t your issue. Instead, look into eating a diet lower in FODMAPS (this overview from Examine.com includes a list of foods that could cause issues), and you might finally experience relief without having to cut out all gluten.
interesting stuff he/his team put out daily - worth the read. sign up here: https://sparklp.co/c4c3def5/

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
I'll ask the dishwasher at the restaurant I am working at about this. Dishwashers are the funnest people to talk about issues with.

I ought to start a thread devoted to transcribing his opinions about everything.
I worked at Ruby Tuesdays about 15 years ago and we had a dish washer named Jelly. One of the funniest dudes I've ever met.

I would occasionally give him rides home in exchange for some buds and everytime he would stuff his backpack with steaks and beer from the restaurant. Didn't really care for the theft but always appreciated the bud.

I didn't last long at Ruby Tuesdays but I have a lot of fond memories of that place. I will never eat at another Ruby Tuesdays as long as I live though

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I cut out the wheat, along with barley and rye a couple months ago. Immunoglobulin G testing led me to it. Maybe science, maybe placebo. I feel better, lost some flab, and my tendinosis is a thing of the past. YMMV
how do you cut out rye? like, no more rye bread? don't see a lot of it elsewhere, at least not that i know of.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
That was the takeaway of research that examined what happens when people are given three different types of porridge — one with gluten, one with FODMAPS (a group of carbohydrates, including fructans), and a placebo. There was no difference in GI issues between the placebo and the gluten group, whereas the diet higher in FODMAPS caused problems.
There's no mention of what the FODMAPS porridge was. Gluten is just one kind of lectin. The FODMAPS porridge may have also been high in lectins.

So how do you explain all the gluten-free success stories?
Like I just said, gluten is just one kind of lectin. Lectins can cause inflammation and a 'leaky gut'.

It’s likely a placebo effect. In a 2017 study, 40 percent of people reported GI issues when given a placebo but were told it was gluten.
That's a nocebo. Yes of course people are susceptible to suggestion.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’ve always had a sensitive stomach. I get gluten gut or whatever. Usually most bread, pastas, etc. blow up my stomach. I deal usually just feel gassy and bloated. If I eat rice, veggies, proteins like fish and lean meats, I don’t feel bad so generally try to eat that. Some veggies blow me up too. Chickpeas are bad.
Dairy too but I still eat ice cream and cheese. For some reason, Mozzarella is the easiest for me.

don’t know about the nightshade thing, that’s what Gisele & Brady were doing to avoid inflammation. Probably something to it. I half-heartedly avoid tomato (which I never really liked) for that reason because i think I read something when i was in my 20’s

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s what I understand could be called “wheat belly” and I get it too. Too much of THAT particular grain, regardless of its other Health effects, good and bad, often gives me immediate gut issues. Nothing doctor or even pepto worthy. Just cramps gas and blah… but dammit Jim, sometimes, even if it’s a few times a year, I must take down a grandma pie from Da Vinci, tummy be damned. Real men can roll with a little IBS here and there as long as it’s not a greater symptom of a poor lifestyle :cool:

I still have nightmares occasionally about what it felt like to be a pizza and pasta eating alcoholic in my yute. Talk about poor gut health. Luckily I was younger and stomach more iron clad, but it still sucked more often than not.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'll ask the dishwasher at the restaurant I am working at about this. Dishwashers are the funnest people to talk about issues with.

I ought to start a thread devoted to transcribing his opinions about everything.
***The Official Dishwasher Confidential Thread***™ :computer:

1 In highschool, was hired on at a deli for the holiday season (at Barney Bagel, Suzy Creamcheese in downtown Portland). Job was a bit of everything, but lots of dishes/utensils to be washed. Across the floor was an early waffle cone place staffed by flirty young women. At closing, we'd make trades: 16 oz cup of 7-Up and kegged white wine for waffle cone of my choice. We'd then hang out at Paranoid Park (really known as O'Bryant Square). I got no-where, but then again, neither did they.

2 Thank God Its Friday near Washington Square mall hired me for a summer as busboy and dishwasher. Took me 1/2 the summer to be accepted by Latino kitchen staff. Keeping head down and putting in the effort may have helped, but I like to pretend it was not getting bent about "prank the white boy" stuff and giving some back (after a while).

3 At college, for two summer terms, worked in the food hall cafeteria as dish duck (dishwasher). The wasted food was startling to me, like whole hamburgers with one bit out of them and half full cups of milk or soda, etc. I thought often of bringing in tupperware containers and it must have shown on my face because one of the older ladies in charged admonished me, "Don't even think it, you don't know what they have...college kids are full of VD."

4 At college during classes, worked at espresso/coffee cafe. Lots of dishwashing. Good friend Terrance (who I met up again with this summer past) once passed out from doing too many whippets in a row, Radioactive Red (huge red hair afro who went to nuke protests) just broke up with her Saudi boyfriend and fell into my arms and then three months later into someone else's arms, "the tall beautiful clumsy girl" told me she had a crush on me about two weeks into me meeting Lisa (who turned out to be a primary reason to move to San Francisco....damn it, why not earlier ,"tall beautiful clumsy girl?), then there was the wacky cast of customers.....

5 Was organizer for Christmas party at the office. Involved lots of clean up. Lead by example means I did the dishes. Ms. La and Ms. Salangsang were part of the team and had snuck in some hooch; we had a great time making fun of the Executive staff.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Wheat today is very different your grand pappies wheat.
less gluten better taste.Heritage wheat makes great bread and doesn’t leave me bloated.
Can confirm. Ancient wheats are a whole different beast, literally

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
1 In highschool, was hired on at a deli for the holiday season (at Barney Bagel, Suzy Creamcheese in downtown Portland). Job was a bit of everything, but lots of dishes/utensils to be washed. Across the floor was an early waffle cone place staffed by flirty young women. At closing, we'd make trades: 16 oz cup of 7-Up and kegged white wine for waffle cone of my choice. We'd then hang out at Paranoid Park (really known as O'Bryant Square). I got no-where, but then again, neither did they.

2 Thank God Its Friday near Washington Square mall hired me for a summer as busboy and dishwasher. Took me 1/2 the summer to be accepted by Latino kitchen staff. Keeping head down and putting in the effort may have helped, but I like to pretend it was not getting bent about "prank the white boy" stuff and giving some back (after a while).

3 At college, for two summer terms, worked in the food hall cafeteria as dish duck (dishwasher). The wasted food was startling to me, like whole hamburgers with one bit out of them and half full cups of milk or soda, etc. I thought often of bringing in tupperware containers and it must have shown on my face because one of the older ladies in charged admonished me, "Don't even think it, you don't know what they have...college kids are full of VD."

4 At college during classes, worked at espresso/coffee cafe. Lots of dishwashing. Good friend Terrance (who I met up again with this summer past) once passed out from doing too many whippets in a row, Radioactive Red (huge red hair afro who went to nuke protests) just broke up with her Saudi boyfriend and fell into my arms and then three months later into someone else's arms, "the tall beautiful clumsy girl" told me she had a crush on me about two weeks into me meeting Lisa (who turned out to be a primary reason to move to San Francisco....damn it, why not earlier ,"tall beautiful clumsy girl?), then there was the wacky cast of customers.....

5 Was organizer for Christmas party at the office. Involved lots of clean up. Lead by example means I did the dishes. Ms. La and Ms. Salangsang were part of the team and had snuck in some hooch; we had a great time making fun of the Executive staff.
perhaps not surprisingly to anyone who has met me, what happened to your friend Terrence happened to me the summer I worked at a funky coffee shop; I think I was 15. Maybe 16 years old. Double loaded a whipper with 2 canisters, next thing I knew I was on the floor, covered in coffee grinds, and a lump on my head

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yup, people were domesticated like animals around 10k years ago. Forced into backbreaking labor and living in condensed communities where disease flourished. And if that wasn't fun enough, the people got to fight in wars for their masters, which was the entire point of domesticating them in the first place.

There's evidence that it wasn't actually that great of a lifestyle, however. These early civilizations only took hold where people couldn't easily escape, due to geography or other barriers.

The masses are still fed cheap calories, to fight and die in their master's wars, and to produce profits for the food and medical/pharmaceutical industries. We're still fed like cattle being fattened up for slaughter. We act like slaves with every bite.

Drama aside for a moment, the essential problem is that 10k years is not long enough for us to adapt to these grains, legumes, and nightshades.
Going from hunter-gatherer to farmers gave humans free time. So they organized tribal governments, invented written language, learned to build things, stuff like that.

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
perhaps not surprisingly to anyone who has met me, what happened to your friend Terrence happened to me the summer I worked at a funky coffee shop; I think I was 15. Maybe 16 years old. Double loaded a whipper with 2 canisters, next thing I knew I was on the floor, covered in coffee grinds, and a lump on my head
When he passed out, he smashed his face into the prep counter in back. Small forehead cut but next day, but had just the biggest black eye and fat lip I'd seen.

When unconscious, his lips looked practically purple-black in the fluorescent lighting...but at least he was still breathing. I just propped him up (sitting down) with dish towel of ice up against his head till he woke up (20 seconds later?).

Ah, the stupid fun we do.......

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Everyone is different. My wife has celiac disease so if she ingests even a little bit she gets violently ill.

Consequently, I don’t eat anything with gluten at home which includes all wheat products. But when I’m eating out I’ll eat whatever I want. So I occasionally eat food with gluten in it and it has no noticeable effect on me.

I know people (women) who are “gluten intolerant” and when they consume gluten it supposedly makes them feel like sh!t.

One time while out for sushi a chick was telling us that she loves to go out to sushi because she can eat without accidentally getting any gluten (because it makes her sick “instantly”).

She was dipping her sushi liberally in soy sauce. Felt fine.

Me thinks much of the gluten free crowd are just mentally ill. But damn I love them for creating a high demand for gluten free products for my wife to choose from.