What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.)

What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, brocolli, cabbage, etc.)

• Total voters

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have to cut it way down in to small bits so my heathen offspring are none the wiser

I have 4 collards growing in pots. it's a super easy plant to grow. pull off fresh leaves
weekly to cook with...usually with enough extra to share with neighbors. I highly
recommend giving it a go...if you can put it in the ground, even better. it is very
resilient and doesn't have a very large footprint.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
They just got a bad rap back in the day (along with every other veg) because they steaming was the only way anyone ever prepared them. Steamed frozen brussels, gross...olive oil+ salt, roasted or sautéed fucking great
Steaming was how most kids who grew up during the low fat madness of the 80s/90s are their veggies, and our parents wondered why we didn’t want to eat them :foreheadslap:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it's got a footprint?
grows tall and slender, doesn't sprawl out

I actually keep some potted strawberries on top of the soil of the collard plant so I can get
some more produce from the same amount of space

I'm growing in my drivewayard, so I'm trying to pack it in and be as vertical as possible

I have a tomato running up into the canopy of my neighbor's tree

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I like them all. Currently enjoying some broccoli tossed with avocado oil and salt and pepper cooked in the air fryer dipped in some sweet hot Beaver mustard.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You have to caramelize Brussel sprouts.

I don't know how to do it,

Sometimes I just do it.
high heat is key for caramelization.

for brussels: slice in half, toss in bowl, coat in olive oil, salt, pepper. place on baking tray in single layer (don't crowd). oven @ 400F. 25 mins, flip with spatula, another 10-15 mins and done. sprinkle with a little extra salt if needed.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
high heat is key for caramelization.

for brussels: slice in half, toss in bowl, coat in olive oil, salt, pepper. place on baking tray in single layer (don't crowd). oven @ 400F. 25 mins, flip with spatula, another 10-15 mins and done. sprinkle with a little extra salt if needed.
The not crowding is key, otherwise there's a bit of a steaming going on. I'll squeeze a bit of lemon over them too, maybe a little shake parm too

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Steaming was how most kids who grew up during the low fat madness of the 80s/90s are their veggies, and our parents wondered why we didn’t want to eat them :foreheadslap:
Totally. My mom fucking steamed everything, and it was awful. I mean back then no one used butter, it was all Fleischman's margarine at our house. I don't mind steamed cauliflower or broccoli cooked correctly, ie, tenderness balanced with crunch, and retaining bright color, but I tend to saute, roast, grill, or deep fry these days.

Edit: Holy sh!t. Was just reading about margarine cuz I was curious how it was so named.

Margarine AOC!

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I like to peel the brussels until you get to the white core, then I chop that a bit

toss all that with oil

the not crowding point above is FKN PRO TIP NUMBER ONE

a little balsamic helps with the carmelization

Reactions: Aruka

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
You have to caramelize Brussel sprouts.

I don't know how to do it,

Sometimes I just do it.
saute fresh brussel sprouts in heavy cream, season with salt and pepper, for carmelized rich creamy buttery goodness :shaka:

come to think of it, i may have learned that one here

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah but the charred leaves are where its at though
for sure...that's why I like to pull them to get more loose leaves...the small bits of
chopped hearts will still a little char on them....but having the leaves loose and spread
out on the sheet makes sure you get a good wilt and browning