What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.)

What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, brocolli, cabbage, etc.)

• Total voters

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Cauliflower is just boring to me.
You gotta roast and/or carmelize it to bring out the flavors.

Is there any nutritional value?
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.12.05 PM.png
Looks like a decent amount of Vitamin C but not much else. Seems that most veggies might have a high amount of 1 or a few vitamins and minerals (vitamin c, k, Mag) but are mostly devoid of the rest. IMO the value in veggies are more so in the phytonutrients that are not listed on a nutritional label and the secondary benefits of the fiber in the your system.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
wheres chard wheres bok choy as in "i drink my brassicas"
baby chard, kale and bok along with banana carrots and a bunch of other healthy sh!t in my protein shakes

Reactions: Aruka

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
baby chard, kale and bok along with banana carrots and a bunch of other healthy sh!t in my protein shakes
Yeah baby bok choy is legit. I'd like the grown up version if it wasn't all stem and no leaf

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Protein shakes are where boring vegetables go to die. Like kale , which actually tastes tastes like sand - I smother it in a smoothie to make it palatable.

Otherwise, most brassica lend themelves well to classic Asia flavors like any combination of soy, ginger, garlic, sesame, hoi sin, fish sauce, oyster sauce, lemon etc. I can steam a garden-fresh pot of any brassica, tossed with any combo of the above, and generate a restaurant quality side dish without a lot of effort.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Brussels Sprouts in 1st place! I just realized it's brussels sprouts, not brussel sprouts as I wrote in the poll. I'm sure you all noticed and didn't point out my mistake to save me from embarrassment, so, thank you.

All of you chard, bok choy, and kholrabi eating weirdos just select other. They are not your favorite and you're not fooling anyone but go ahead and throw your vote away.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
there are many different varieties of Kale.

Need more specificity.

I prefer the red-russian variety.

Incredibly hardy, even in a wet sub-tropical climate.
Very high growth rates, lots of phyto-nutrients and a mellow flavour.

Anything over-grown, caterpillar infested can be fed to the chooks for total nutrient recycling into perfect protein with full amino acid complement.

Cavalo Nero (black cabbage) is fine if you are a food wanker.

brussel sprouts blow goats.