What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Dunno, but one thing is sure - this is all looking like the final nail in the coffin for pro surfing.

Trouble at Vans too it seems.

Can only hope with the destruction it makes surfing less popular.

Anyone heard about this hyped new brand Tenore thats supposedly signing new riders as the next big thing?:roflmao:Can we place bets on how fast that flops? Is it Ten-or? Teno-rAy? Tenor-ee?:roflmao:

Remember when Luke E's brand "Depactus" was the future of the surf industry?

Another Casa doomsday prediction!

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
I was wondering when did Roxy ever make a surfboard for Kelia or any of the other girls. Oh yeah, they didn't. Why? They don't care. They used surfing and fit beautiful females as a way to sell their clothing, bikinis, luggage, etc. And as has been discussed quite often, that's where the money is. A vast majority of girls around the globe look at Kelia and want to dress like her. They don't really give a rip about surfing. And if anyone is wondering, she's a really good wahine, a joy to surf with, and has two wonderful parents.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was wondering when did Roxy ever make a surfboard for Kelia or any of the other girls. Oh yeah, they didn't. Why? They don't care. They used surfing and fit beautiful females as a way to sell their clothing, bikinis, luggage, etc. And as has been discussed quite often, that's where the money is. A vast majority of girls around the globe look at Kelia and want to dress like her. They don't really give a rip about surfing. And if anyone is wondering, she's a really good wahine, a joy to surf with, and has two wonderful parents.
Did Reef ever make a surfboard for anybody? Nope. This goes back as far as Jantzan. Maybe farther.

Reactions: npsp and menobrah

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was wondering when did Roxy ever make a surfboard for Kelia or any of the other girls. Oh yeah, they didn't. Why? They don't care.
Surfing was what Roxy used to sell clothes. Just like any other surfwear brand.

They used surfing and fit beautiful females as a way to sell their clothing, bikinis, luggage, etc.
So they cared...surfing was their selling point.

And as has been discussed quite often, that's where the money is. A vast majority of girls around the globe look at Kelia and want to dress like her. They really don't give a rip about surfing.
She's just a grain of sand in a billion other hot female influencers. If they want to dress like her they don't want to be wearing Roxy - they want to be wearing football jerseys and urbanwear.

She should maybe hook up a brand like Fubu, Coogi, or SouthPole.

And if anyone is wondering, she's a really good wahine, a joy to surf with, and has two wonderful parents.
So what's with the mafia guy husband?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Lisa leaving Roxy the final nail LMAO

Comparing Luke to Tenore is laughable as well
Surfwear retail and big pro contracts for surf clothing are toast.

After hearing about how you got robbed on the "mean streets" of San Clemente it's not surprising you still think this is a thing. :roflmao:

Depactus was touted as the next big brand, just like Tenore.

These pro'z are going to have to get real jobs or get RedBull to bankroll them.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Surfwear retail and big pro contracts for surf clothing are toast.

After hearing about how you got robbed on the "mean streets" of San Clemente it's not surprising you still think this is a thing. :roflmao:

Depactus was touted as the next big brand, just like Tenore.

These pro'z are going to have to get real jobs or get RedBull to bankroll them.
Robbed, ok yea LOL. Just like my defective eBike....

You still are clueless comparing a Pro surfer starting a brand to a guy that started a successful brand etc. is still LMAO. What a great time to be an emerging brand and good for them.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
The demise of pro surfing and surf brands isn't doomsday.:trout:

Quite the opposite.

Or you think there's still a market for big contract team rider surfwear?:roflmao:
Haha...who knows what comes around the corner? ...I would say more accurately that the demise of pro surfing in the USA happened when pro surfing was purchased by a single billionaire adult learner...the minute he has had enough and pulls the plug the whole thing IN THE USA will fall apart...in Australia nothing will really change, its an actual sport down under with fans and sponsors and an industry that sells things to the fans...As far as the big brands and sponsorship it is just part of the historic surf industry cycle of bust and boom - brands falling apart and slowly newer brands taking their place to fill the void. (See OP, Gotcha, Instinct, local motion, etc etc etc).

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Seems to me there a lot of "Pros" still living the life. I don't know how but they do.

Eric Geiselman is one that comes to mind (his brother too?). I've always liked his surfing and crazy airs. I also like that he's a musician, fisherman, skater, and Florida boy. He seems to be doing great and still living the "pro" surfer life.

Or over in CA you got guys like Zeke and Holy Skip. I think Skip does some construction work but they got sponsors and seem to get plenty of surf time and trips in.

I think we are seeing an evolution here, not death of the industry.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Haha...who knows what comes around the corner? ...I would say more accurately that the demise of pro surfing in the USA happened when pro surfing was purchased by a single billionaire adult learner...the minute he has had enough and pulls the plug the whole thing IN THE USA will fall apart...in Australia nothing will really change, its an actual sport down under with fans and sponsors and an industry that sells things to the fans...As far as the big brands and sponsorship it is just part of the historic surf industry cycle of bust and boom - brands falling apart and slowly newer brands taking their place to fill the void. (See OP, Gotcha, Instinct, local motion, etc etc etc).
The first time I saw a QuikBilaVolcomHurleyBong store in Times Square I knew demise of the sport of kings had begun

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Seems to me there a lot of "Pros" still living the life. I don't know how but they do.

Eric Geiselman is one that comes to mind (his brother too?). I've always liked his surfing and crazy airs. I also like that he's a musician, fisherman, skater, and Florida boy. He seems to be doing great and still living the "pro" surfer life.

Or over in CA you got guys like Zeke and Holy Skip. I think Skip does some construction work but they got sponsors and seem to get plenty of surf time and trips in.

I think we are seeing an evolution here, not death of the industry.
OK. I'll bite. I believe it's called family money. LOL
Don't know about the Geiselmans, but I thought one of them was a Vissla rep. Traditionally, isn't surf industry sales rep is how the formerly sponsored guys (at least the nice guy ones) stay in the surf lifestyle?

Most SD local-hero "semi-pros" that I know of have gotten real jobs by the time they hit 30, even if they still have a sticker or two on their boar. Selling coastal real estate is a popular career, several SD lifeguards, working for surf brand/shaper, fixing dings at your father's shop (Jojo), solar panel sales, construction, etc.

Most people know Zeke has family money from his grandparents... and 3rd gen is usually the one to p*ss it all away so he seems to be doing his part to make that happen. While he will never get a real job, I'm sure R. probably gives him a little something as he seems to have made himself visible on social media, learning from JOB or Gravy... and TBH they don't really seem to have any CA surfers with a higher profile RN.

Skip is definitely a working guy who surfs now. He gets boars from Xanadu and gear from Seager and Matuse as sponsors but they are pretty small time so I doubt they can pay him much/any actual cash. I think he just works to save up for those surf trips. He's been doing construction for local GCs I know of, and it sounds like he's trying to establish his own biz now. He seems like a good dude, hard worker, and everyone was stocked for him getting some coverage on charging this swell.

Last edited:

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Fwiw, and I think I mentioned earlier in the thread basically every upcoming NS pro comes from money and/or had big time industry connections through parents growing up. Afaik Makana Pang and Barron Mamiya are the only exceptions to this though Makana's dad is a pretty well known shaper. Zoe McDougall and Moana's parents both have like 4-5 rental properties.

People talking about how these pros are gonna have to get real jobs :monkey: