What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
From Stab:

From an insider, we were told that the only reason Kelia’s contract was able to be terminated was because of a niggly 30-day termination clause, which stated that Boardriders could terminate her contract for any reason with only 30 days notice.

These clauses came standard in every Boardriders athlete contract, however Boardriders would generally remove them if they were asked to do so by a surfer or agent. After the mass force majeure fallout from covid, managers and agents were incredibly scrupulous about the fine print in athlete contracts, meaning many of them got the 30-day clause removed. Unfortunately, Kelia’s team did not.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and Havoc

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
From Stab:

From an insider, we were told that the only reason Kelia’s contract was able to be terminated was because of a niggly 30-day termination clause, which stated that Boardriders could terminate her contract for any reason with only 30 days notice.

These clauses came standard in every Boardriders athlete contract, however Boardriders would generally remove them if they were asked to do so by a surfer or agent. After the mass force majeure fallout from covid, managers and agents were incredibly scrupulous about the fine print in athlete contracts, meaning many of them got the 30-day clause removed. Unfortunately, Kelia’s team did not.

That‘s inexcusable. I guess that’s what you get when agents negotiate contracts rather than attorneys.

Related, surfers caved way too easily on the force majeure thing.

Reactions: ReForest

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
That‘s inexcusable. I guess that’s what you get when agents negotiate contracts rather than attorneys.

Related, surfers caved way too easily on the force majeure thing.
It sounds like even most managers knew to remove that clause.

Reactions: Havoc

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
She barely posts surf content anymore. Of course they weren’t going to renew a lucrative contract. What she doesn’t understand is the market dictates her salary offers. If she were moving product sales that much, she’d have multiple competing offers from Vans, Roxy, etc. She chose to go the “Hollywood” route hanging out with Bieber and co. Whether that helps her long term surf industry career is unclear. Not sure how a fading star longboarder can generate revenue for a company in this day and age. She can do well as an individual IG influencer, but that’s a difficult hustle for anyone.

Thank you! That's all I was trying to to say.
You mother fuckerz are too far critical of the bull sh!t!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ouch , the Moniz clan are like big time south shore surfing royalty.
ew. Metaphorical or actual, the “she’s royalty/ descendant of royalty” thing is kinda :barf:

Edit: how many people are worth paying contracts to surf? Like, four or five men and two women in the entire world? Talking about not paying them would cost you more in lost revenue than you save by cutting them.
the new model is plug our product on your YouTube and get paid per instance

Last edited:
Reactions: tenover and Havoc

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Funny you mention Alana Blanchard, because there was a post referencing how she got dropped by Rip Curl when she got pregnant. Ouch!

But she shifted and realized there was still value in numerous smaller sponsorships and promoting products, with a subtle ass-shot sprinkled here and there. Quantity over quality. It's hard but it will pay the bills.
subtle? lol

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Surely there was an Assignment clause that likely only allowed Roxy to assign the contract to another company if they were acquired.

The Change Of Control clause is what would allow the new contract owner to terminate the contract with say 30 days written notice.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
I'd say Steph Gilmore + Lisa Anderson have shifted more product than Kelly + Dane.

I don't think people in USA have any idea how huge Steph is as a mainstream sports star in Aus.
If that’s the case, why were companies like Quik willing to pay Kelly and Dane 6-10x more per year than Lisa and Steph? Just because they favored men 6-10 times more and not because of revenue potential?

If we’re talking about Australia, Mick Fanning always got paid more than Steph. His Reef beer bottle opener sandal sold way more units than any single product directly associated with Steph that I can think of.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
If that’s the case, why were companies like Quik willing to pay Kelly and Dane 6-10x more per year than Lisa and Steph? Just because they favored men 6-10 times more and not because of revenue potential?

If we’re talking about Australia, Mick Fanning always got paid more than Steph. His Reef beer bottle opener sandal sold way more units than any single product directly associated with Steph that I can think of.
idk, from the marketing pov:

Maybe on the men's side there's more of a need to sign 'the best' in order to be meaningful and that can create bidding wars.

Whereas on the women's side, lifestyle and ambassadorship are the more important criteria, which creates different dynamics between companies and sponsered athletes

(thinking out loud here, also i dont work in marketing)

Reactions: oeste858

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Was it not about “getting away with paying the top girls less” than with “wanting to pay the top guys more”?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Roxy is one of the brands of Boardriders, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Authentic Brands Group, headquartered in New York. Authentic Brands is a private company and it is unclear how much of their net income comes from Roxy, but I'll bet it is not much. There is long corporate chain of command and undoubtedly heavy pressure to perform financially.

One thing for sure, the bosses at Boardriders and Authentic Brands don't give a flying fuck about some surfer from Hawaii, even if she is south shore royalty.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Was it not about “getting away with paying the top girls less” than with “wanting to pay the top guys more”?
Not sure that is fully applicable here- Tyler Wright was on a million dollar contract with Rip Curl as a 16 year old.

Pretty certain she was the highest paid pro - male or female- for quite a while.

Taken altogether, I'd guess Gilmore's total sponsorships would outweigh Fannings.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Women didn’t have as many options. Many women’s brands were just starting to grow.

Bad decisions are often made in bidding wars.

That companies threw money at male surfers doesn’t mean it was a wise investment.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Surfers need better contract lawyers.

A contract is not exactly the same as at-will employment. The contract should stipulate that you want to fire me, fine. But you're still gonna pay out the contract. That's the whole point.

Too late now -- the industry is in shambles. Yet another industry that Big Tech has (albeit indirectly) put in a blender and turned on high.