What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
It’s weird with promotions. This past summer HIC and IPD did movie night every two weeks. Set up a screen showed a classic movie and gave away a sh*t load of free prizes.. I went to a handful to help breakdown and clean up. Each one had between 50-100 people.

The last one Florence joined in and they showed a rough draft of a JJF video that hadn’t been released. They also ran a few grills and gave away hotdogs, hamburgers and prizes. Parking lot was full. Was it the John clip, the free food , the end of summer or just Florence being associated with the event.

Then a few weeks ago HIC and Florence had an event to celebrate a mini Florence store in HIC. Free food and family friendly drinks and John came and signed autographs. Twice as big a crowd with a big portion rocking Florence gear.

Must’ve been John.

A few friends including my sister worked at Boardriders here. Quik’s retail stores. They all said Dane moved more merch than Kelly but Roxy saved the brand.
Yea exactly. Dane moved merch for men’s products and the Roxy girls—collectively as a team—drove more sales than men’s products were bringing in. However it’s extremely unlikely that Steph Gilmore, their top billed Roxy girl at the time, drove more merch individually on her own than Dane did.

Steph’s contract was about 1/6th the amount of money Dane was getting. While I don’t think Dane was moving 6x more merch than Steph was, if Steph were their chief rainmaker her contract would not have been like that with all the incentives, etc.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
She doesn't realize she is *the prime example* of why companies are making the decisions they're making in regards to team riders (at least, in some cases) - there's no ROI.

Aside from all the silly dramatic effect, I was pretty much unaware Kelia even surfs anymore. She's hot, so every once in a while I'd peek at her Instagram which sadly seemed to turn into of photos of here emulating "urban" fashion and (rightfully) focusing on motherhood.

There wasn't much surfing going on and I got the impression she was either living in Hollywood or NYC and very focused on trying to look bling/urban.

Roxy was bought out and they're restructuring. The era of a bunch of pro surfers getting paid big bucks to represent apparel is over and has been over for a long time. Maybe she's so far away from it she didn't get the memo.

I could understand frustration for someone who was actively surfing and associating their surfing with showcasing the brand.

But from Kelia's instagram presence looks more like she had a contract that would allow her to get paychecks while neglecting what she was supposed to do - associate her surfing with the brand.

There are more than enough hot beach girls out there that can do everything Kelia is doing, probably for plenty less $. TBH she should feel lucky to even be offered a contract at all.
I'm old enough to remember the pre-girl boss era when beautiful women would try to marry a rich man and have children.
Money comes back to surfing when surfers stop giving it away for free. If you're a surfer, don't ever tag a brand or let a brand use your image on social media for free. Same goes for photographers and videographers.
The money's not coming back (to the surfers) b/c the brands are all owned by huge conglomerates and control the industry in the "Two Towers" model, just like most other industries in this country.

Reactions: mundus

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
It’s weird with promotions. This past summer HIC and IPD did movie night every two weeks. Set up a screen showed a classic movie and gave away a sh*t load of free prizes.. I went to a handful to help breakdown and clean up. Each one had between 50-100 people.

The last one Florence joined in and they showed a rough draft of a JJF video that hadn’t been released. They also ran a few grills and gave away hotdogs, hamburgers and prizes. Parking lot was full. Was it the John clip, the free food , the end of summer or just Florence being associated with the event.

Then a few weeks ago HIC and Florence had an event to celebrate a mini Florence store in HIC. Free food and family friendly drinks and John came and signed autographs. Twice as big a crowd with a big portion rocking Florence gear.

Must’ve been John.

A few friends including my sister worked at Boardriders here. Quik’s retail stores. They all said Dane moved more merch than Kelly but Roxy saved the brand.
segue into discussion re why women in surfing deserve pay in line w men.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Maybe not more than Dane but over the course of her career Lisa Anderson has to be responsible for moving close to the amount of Dane.
Lisa Anderson is probably responsible for moving more merch for Quick/Roxy than all others but Slater. The Roxy brand was built around her and they sold a ton of those surf shorts at massive margins. Remember, girls buy multiple units of the same product but in different colors, etc... Guys buy one unit once or twice a year at most. I have 10YO trunks from Marshalls that are still going strong.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
One main reason to visit surf shop back in the day was for ESM. a bit European and reef ads on page 2 were always better than the mainstream mags. Gave a tingle down there.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
This industry is dying, even through the sport/activity is more popular than ever.

If you're sponsored in this niche-sport, I think it's 2-3 years... tops. You have that window to use it as the primary source of income, and after that you have to become really versatile. But can you imagine if any of these guys who signed a decent contract before 2020, were smart enough and used the money to buy a bunch of real estate, and then hung onto those assets today?

Reactions: keenfish

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
For you guys that are too core to subscribe to Stab, in a how surfers get paid episode they said Alana Blanchard gets paid up to $5000 for an IG post using a company’s product. Alana does a handful a month. I’m sure Kelia can adapt to that if she hasn’t been doing it already.,
Funny you mention Alana Blanchard, because there was a post referencing how she got dropped by Rip Curl when she got pregnant. Ouch!

But she shifted and realized there was still value in numerous smaller sponsorships and promoting products, with a subtle ass-shot sprinkled here and there. Quantity over quality. It's hard but it will pay the bills.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
This industry is dying, even through the sport/activity is more popular than ever.

If you're sponsored in this niche-sport, I think it's 2-3 years... tops. You have that window to use it as the primary source of income, and after that you have to become really versatile. But can you imagine if any of these guys who signed a decent contract before 2020, were smart enough and used the money to buy a bunch of real estate, and then hung onto those assets today?
Most of the Aussies did- or at least the ones I see around- if you bought coastal real estate you are doing fine.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Funny you mention Alana Blanchard, because there was a post referencing how she got dropped by Rip Curl when she got pregnant. Ouch!

But she shifted and realized there was still value in numerous smaller sponsorships and promoting products, with a subtle ass-shot sprinkled here and there. Quantity over quality. It's hard but it will pay the bills.
Nothing hotter than 40 year old mother of 3 ass in a thong.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
She won the 2 world titles back to back in 2012/13 by winning two comps in Hainan island.

Thats some pretty Mickey Mouse shitt to be claiming your an athlete over.

I thought she was just a Roxy bikini babe- had to go looking for those world titles.