Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Same with me and rope jumping, but I was boxing at Wild Card in Hollywood and people are less friendly haha.

I do 12 rounds a day on the bag, five days a week. 4 rounds heavy bag, 4 rounds double end bag, then 2 heavy bag, 2 double end bag. Pretty drenched afterwards.
Question for the erbb: What is the best heavy bag to use?

Thinking about getting one since this whole stay at home thing is gonna last. I also thought about wrapping my thai pads to a ponderosa out back.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I agree with DJ when he says this:

I hit my weight lose target this week end.

It was a campaign.
Good for you on losing the unnecessary lbs. I haven’t read anything by Dan John that I didn’t agree with.

“There is a beach in California with rings set up so that one can “fly” back and forth and back and forth. Now, by the time you read this, some group interested in safety will have banned them, but if you want to look fantastic in the upper body, start brachiating. The beachcombers who do these big swings look amazing. Now, the chicken or the egg question: does swinging build this physique or does a certain physique allow “flying rings.””

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This thread is still going?

Surf 3-5 hours (legit surf, not buoying) at least 3 days a week, limit yourself to no more than 2 steaks (legit; 16 oz+ each, we're not Euros) and 8 beers after. Maybe a salad. Stay away from pizza, pasta, etc. like a vampire from sunlight.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Jump rope has become my best friend. I drew a smiley face on it.

3min rounds, 1min break and do either 20 pushups or 30 second hollow curl during that break.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Jump rope has become my best friend. I drew a smiley face on it.

3min rounds, 1min break and do either 20 pushups or 30 second hollow curl during that break.
Is there a particular reason for those specific work/rest intervals?
The latest “discovery” which I totally endorse but also lol over since it’s just 1:4 work:rest

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Is there a particular reason for those specific work/rest intervals?
The latest “discovery” which I totally endorse but also lol over since it’s just 1:4 work:rest
It's just how I learned from boxing as that would be how we would spar/bag - 3min round and 1min or 30 second rest.
We'd warm up on the rope same ratios.

Those articles are interesting, but work time seems so short. And then I stand around for 3min? So many rounds too.
I also don't like jumping rope super fast (maximum effort), I'm trying to keep my normal pace and zone out for the whole round.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's just how I learned from boxing as that would be how we would spar/bag - 3min round and 1min or 30 second rest.
We'd warm up on the rope same ratios.

Those articles are interesting, but work time seems so short. And then I stand around for 3min? So many rounds too.
That’s Sport Specific Training and I’d have you do it too if you were gonna get in the ring and only in the last phase of training leading up to a fight.
HIRT = 15-20sec Work/60-80sec rest and I go for 20 min total. You’re doing it right if you think it’s (too) easy in the beginning, then challenging, and by the end it fully sucks.
The reason I think it’s so important in general is it lets you determine your hormone response and target specific metabolic energy systems.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That’s Sport Specific Training and I’d have you do it too if you were gonna get in the ring and only in the last phase of training leading up to a fight.
HIRT = 15-20sec Work/60-80sec rest and I go for 20 min total. You’re doing it right if you think it’s (too) easy in the beginning, then challenging, and by the end it fully sucks.
The reason I think it’s so important in general is it lets you determine your hormone response and target specific metabolic energy systems.
To me it sounds like doing the century club with beer. 1 shot of beer every minute. At first it seems way too easy, but by the end you're black out.

Makes sense as you can ramp up and find where you have the most resistance and stay there until you level out, then move up and repeat.

Reactions: Chocki

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Here's been my personal experience over the past month and a half:

In the past 45 days I've lost 17 lbs-- I typically surf every day, pretty much regardless of how small or shitty it is. While I'm out there, I don't just sit (never have, really), but am constantly paddling for the majority of the time I'm out. I grew up surfing a bunch of reefs with older dudes, some of them pretty heavy guys, and would notice how they would surf, so that's healthy and all, but they would pretty much just sit there in between paddling for waves here and there. So I've always just tried to keep moving, even if it's just paddling peak to peak.

So, I haven't added any exercise to my routine, but I started eating totally differently. What it came down to largely for me was portion control. I keep track of my calories, eat a bunch of fiber in the morning, and started substituting salads for a few of my meals here and there. Avoid starches, white rice, carbs when possible, and eat a lot more vegetables, fish, etc. When I snack I eat low cal snacks. I feel better physically, feel better about myself, and am surfing much better and am lighter on my feet after dropping the almost 20 lbs that had me feeling pretty sluggish in the water.

Weight loss isn't that hard, it just takes educating oneself about what to eat and what not to eat, and the willingness to hold oneself accountable to eating within the correct calorie range for what your goal is. I didn't have to start running long distances, working out (i hate gyms), or do anything wild, pretty much just had to be more mindful of what I put into my body. Anyone can do it if they're willing to put in the work,.

Reactions: racer1 and CutnSnip

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Fast until simple foods taste good again. People can go weeks without solid food, a few days is nothing. If you were really hungry even raw veges taste good! But I'm never going "Survivalman" and eating bugs, worms, and grubs. Drink more water than you would like to. I do this by keeping a big jug of cold, dilute lemonade (I buy at Costco) in the fridge to guzzle ANYTIME! I like "half the salt" chips. I wonder why people want twice the salt? Try to avoid sugar.

Water is very good for you always!

I'm on a jog almost every morning routine. I measured a circuit around my neighborhood that is 4km or 2.4 miles. It is not hard and I am 66. I always check my stop-watch to see how long it takes me to reach certain points along the way. For some reason, timing myself is very important.

Last edited: