Watch out! Cyclist coming through

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What other steel frames do you like? I was thinking of getting the steel Honzo but don't think I want to get another 29er.
hmmm...I bet I could swap components from my Taro onto this and make it a 27.5":

If you don't want a 29er I would very much recommend a Ritchey Timberwolf.
I loved that bike for the short time I owned it.
(Fell off my bike rack and got swiped in 10 minutes by someone.

1595226832425.jpeg

The other one I really like is All City Electric Queen

1595226530947.png

Surly Karate Monkey, a living classic!

1595226732983.png

Uh and also Ritchey P650b (used to have a P-29 single speed)

1595226930897.jpeg

Ritchey would be my first choice if you want steel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I don't know if I could get used to that. If you DO go OTB on a modern bike, don't you have less time to react? I feel like an old-school riding technique leaves a lot of room to adjust and my face is simply farther from the ground. IOW, I like being upright.

I suppose I have to try it.
It’s not as weird as you think. Once you get used to riding chest over stem it’s very addicting. One of things that made me want to switch was hearing Hard Tail Party guy talk about how all of a sudden riding felt akin to skiing. Now I know what he meant. On a modern/enduro geo bike my weight is fully over the bottom bracket, ala the pegs on a motocross bike. Before because my bike was too short it was behind the bb no matter what.

Also this may help:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What other steel frames do you like? I was thinking of getting the steel Honzo but don't think I want to get another 29er.
hmmm...I bet I could swap components from my Taro onto this and make it a 27.5":

If you don't want a 29er I would very much recommend a Ritchey Timberwolf.
I loved that bike for the short time I owned it.
(Fell off my bike rack and got swiped in 10 minutes by someone.

View attachment 94763

The other one I really like is All City Electric Queen

View attachment 94761

Surly Karate Monkey, a living classic!

View attachment 94762

Uh and also Ritchey P650b (used to have a P-29 single speed)

View attachment 94764

Ritchey would be my first choice if you want steel.
I went steel myself. Ended up with a RSD Middle Child. No regrets.

1595247266753.jpeg
My review: Middle Child = Spanish Castle Magic

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Anyone have a good video (or article) on how to properly size a full suspension mountain bike? I'm 5'9 with short legs but monkey arms. According to the bikes I've been looking at, I could either ride a medium or a large.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Anyone have a good video (or article) on how to properly size a full suspension mountain bike? I'm 5'9 with short legs but monkey arms. According to the bikes I've been looking at, I could either ride a medium or a large.
I was on a bike company's site and entered in my height and in seam. Got an error message about checking my measurements bc they were out of the range of a normal human (long torso, short legs).

I think you're a medium in most cases, but if you can, demo or ride around the lot at a local shop.

Reactions: Ifallalot and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I was on a bike company's site and entered in my height and in seam. Got an error message about checking my measurements bc they were out of the range of a normal human (long torso, short legs).

I think you're a medium in most cases, but if you can, demo or ride around the lot at a local shop.
Medium is kind of what I was thinking.

I have a 30" inseam and a wingspan that's 6'3". Good for paddling, but awkward for just about everything else in life :roflmao:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm probably going to sell my FS and get the Ritchey Ultra frame. Surprisingly few reviews on it. Hardtail party really liked the Ionic Johnny Rotten, but it looks like they're just starting to take orders. No idea on pricing, yet. I put in an email to them. Seems like they have an established pedigree w/ Merlin and Dean. Ritchey goes w/o saying.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Medium is kind of what I was thinking.

I have a 30" inseam and a wingspan that's 6'3". Good for paddling, but awkward for just about everything else in life :roflmao:
I don’t know, short inseam can be corrected with a dropper post adjustment but if the bike reach is too short, the bike will feel cramped.

if you’re really over 6’, you’ll need a large.

I’m 6’1” 32” and ride a large in every flavor.

the only medium I have is the Canyon Endurace but it’s because it has a freakishly long reach.

Reactions: Chocki and jkb

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm probably going to sell my FS and get the Ritchey Ultra frame. Surprisingly few reviews on it. Hardtail party really liked the Ionic Johnny Rotten, but it looks like they're just starting to take orders. No idea on pricing, yet. I put in an email to them. Seems like they have an established pedigree w/ Merlin and Dean. Ritchey goes w/o saying.
Here's another option:

Same HTA as the Ritchey and takes a fork with the same travel. I'm not sure about the other geometry or how it compares to the Ritchey. Guys make Honzos into 27.5" also.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Here's another option:

Same HTA as the Ritchey and takes a fork with the same travel. I'm not sure about the other geometry or how it compares to the Ritchey. Guys make Honzos into 27.5" also.
On the Ritchey, there's a review by an Italian MTB mag, and a not too favorable one by someone from Michigan. The Italians say it's a nostalgic ride. I grew up on a steel Trek hardtail, so I'm into it.

As for the Honzo, Chocki's hardtail party didn't like it, said it was too stiff/harsh.

I think I'm going to build out the Ritchey w/ 35 mm rims and run 2.6 tires. Get a 120 mm fork and relive my youth. I think I'll won't mind the hardtail b/c last month, I forgot to unlock my suspension and didn't even notice until halfway down the second section of single track, haha.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
On the Ritchey, there's a review by an Italian MTB mag, and a not too favorable one by someone from Michigan. The Italians say it's a nostalgic ride. I grew up on a steel Trek hardtail, so I'm into it.

As for the Honzo, Chocki's hardtail party didn't like it, said it was too stiff/harsh.

I think I'm going to build out the Ritchey w/ 35 mm rims and run 2.6 tires. Get a 120 mm fork and relive my youth. I think I'll won't mind the hardtail b/c last month, I forgot to unlock my suspension and didn't even notice until halfway down the second section of single track, haha.
YOu're doing the Ritchey as a 29er?

I think the pedals would scrape with a Honzo as a 27.5".

If you're from the upper Midwest, you're probably partial to Surly so that could account for the unfavorable review of the Ritchey.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
YOu're doing the Ritchey as a 29er?

I think the pedals would scrape with a Honzo as a 27.5".

If you're from the upper Midwest, you're probably partial to Surly so that could account for the unfavorable review of the Ritchey.
The bad review for the Ritchey was a lot about the components that were included w the test bike he was given, so I'm taking it w a grain of salt.