Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Dec 1, 2022
Been surfing my whole life in New England, most of it in Maine, and it gets real cold come Feb. I'm in my mid-fifties now and after a lot of wetsuits I broke down and spent a bundle on a Rash wetsuit out of Japan. Warmest most flexible suit I've ever had, three years in and it's holding strong-no sign of wear at all and I surf when there's surf. Also made me realize hooded wetsuits are NOT the go. Most of the Japanese made winter suits are semi-dry, they have a smoothskin neck cuff that you fold over and it keeps 90%+ of water from entering the suit, add to this a completely waterproof chest zip and there is minimal if any water entry. The suit is usually dry around my torso when I get in after 2+ hours of good surf. There's also a huge advantage of having a hood that is separate from the suit as it loosens up the shoulders notably and allows for much less restriction in the neck. Hooded suits, invariably are restrictive and let water in thru the hood itself and the shoulder panel-despite the much vaunted internal water barriers. Moreover, the lining of these 'conventional' suits get real heavy like when they get wet, which again they do. If you're gunna go conventional get a FERAL-they're the best of the bunch-I've tried 'em all. Rash suits are on another level, I hope I can always scrape together the coin to re-up them when the time comes-but it is money well spent indeed-would be hard to go back to a conventionally designed winter suit now...

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
Just bought a Ripcord Dawn Patrol 5/4 for the fast approaching winter. Cleanline special for $255.

I will say I always wore Xcel but recently had a Billabong and will say they are just as warm as the Xcels. I just couldn't swing the price for a new Billabong this year.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My issue with xcel boots is the one size is too tight (toenails curled and folded to this day) and next size is too loose.

@Dingo44 is your hood just a cap, or are you wearing a hood that covers the neck and tucks into the top of the Rash, and the Rash stays dry?

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Just bought a Ripcord Dawn Patrol 5/4 for the fast approaching winter. Cleanline special for $255.

I will say I always wore Xcel but recently had a Billabong and will say they are just as warm as the Xcels. I just couldn't swing the price for a new Billabong this year.
That Billabong Recycler? from 2022- whatever their lowest tier 5/4 offering was - is The best bargain winter suit hands down. Beats the pants and the dick off of O'neill's Ninja/Rip Curls whatever/Quiksilvers Synchro.
I think it was sub 300 WITH tax OTR!
I went through it at my local and was really impressed by the quality- glued seams all panels - almost welded. And the graphene rubber is the real deal. Warm and flexible.
After 3 weeks- me 50 yrs old 5'9 170lbs New England every swell surfer - I walked right back in the door and bought another cause I KNEW they wouldn't be making it again, and sure enough!
If you find one on Clearance- GRAB IT.

Can't remember the exact model name.....but has the purple hexagon shapes in the hood liner.

my .02

Aug 29, 2019
Isurus 3mm gloves. Easily the best, warmest, driest gloves I’ve ever used. Will use these even before 7mm lobsters or mitts. Amazing.

Xcel 7mm drylocks. Half sizes. Fit like a second skin. Warm and dry. New favourites.

Isurus 6/5 still at the top, but Xcel drylock 6/5 and 7till8 6/5 closed the gap last winter. Depending on which one makes it through this winter without leaks will determine new champ. Looking forward to adding a srface 6/5 to the fray soon too.

Reactions: ehiunno and Aruka

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Isurus 3mm gloves. Easily the best, warmest, driest gloves I’ve ever used. Will use these even before 7mm lobsters or mitts. Amazing.
You in New England? You use these all winter?

I've never really found a pair of gloves I love. I've eyed up those isurus 3mm but the claim that they're warmer than 5mm mitts has always seemed like a stretch to me. Maybe not?

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I go 5 mil gloves all winter in NJ, just hate the mitts.
Yeah I used to use 5mm lobsters, drylock I think. They were fine but my index finger would get a little numb on the really cold days. I've been using 7mm vissla mitts for the last couple of seasons. They're perfectly fine but yeah mitts are annoying.

I was considering those 5mm solite gloves but reviews are kind of mixed. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on those isurus this season and see how they go.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
7mm Xcel Drylock mitts in NY. My hands get cold and these are the best. Lobster claws never made sense to me, me hands were colder and any added dexterity is minimal.

Would consider super warm gloves if they really work. That feeling when you are standing in the shower and feeling starts coming back into your numb hands and it hurts like hell for a few minutes sucks.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah I'm feeling like if you could actually wear those 3mm Isurus all winter it would be unreal but it feels too good to be true and they aren't cheap!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There's no way the 3mm Isurus gloves would be enough for east coast winter. I don't think that's what was meant in the above post, anyways.

I had a pair. They are nice. Fit well. As warm as any 3mm glove I've used. Didn't last long enough for me to be worth the price premium.

I usually do 3mm xcel infiniti and buy a few pairs at a time when they are on sale. Some years the water here is under 50 most of the year so I'm wearing gloves all the time. They wear out quicker than anything else. I wear through the palms and fingers. Probably all the duckdiving

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
7mm drylock mitts and boots..the mitts keep my hands warm in the absolutely coldest conditions here in ny.. I start wearing em in dec when I could still wear gloves but prefer to get used to em early… by the end of cold water season I dont even notice em.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
IME the thin tape on those does not last. There are some rip curls with the same stuff - no bueno.